LC9 Trigger Reset issue on stock gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BullseyeX10

Bearcat
Hey everyone,

I have a LC9, with a completely stock, factory trigger. No Galloway parts, etc. Only thing I've done to the gun was to disable the magazine safety. After about 150 rounds through the gun, I started noticing the trigger isn't resetting.

The gun fires, the slide cycles, and extracts and ejects normally. But when I try to fire another round, I have to pull the trigger back the whole way and let go in order for the trigger to reset.

I fire a round, then when pulling the trigger for the next shot, the trigger just goes "to the floor". When I pull it back there is absolutely no resistance or spring pressure. Once I release the trigger again it will then fire normally. This happens EVERY time.

I have the gun completely disassembled and have found nothing obvious, ie: no broken or bent parts, etc.

Any ideas on what the problem and the solution may be? I would like to handle this issue myself and not have to send it off to Ruger.

Thanks!

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I have absolutely no experience trying to disable the mag safety. I am not a gunsmith, and I do no work on gun mods myself. However, fwiw, a quick Google search found a few articles about how messing with the mag safety improved the trigger pull. If that is factual, my guess is you did something to the trigger when you disabled the mag safety.
Just my .02.
Good luck

BullseyeX10

Bearcat
I considered that, though the gun functioned fine for a long time after I disabled the mag safety.

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
rugerguy211 said:
I have absolutely no experience trying to disable the mag safety. I am not a gunsmith, and I do no work on gun mods myself. However, fwiw, a quick Google search found a few articles about how messing with the mag safety improved the trigger pull. If that is factual, my guess is you did something to the trigger when you disabled the mag safety.
Just my .02.
Good luck

This may not be the cause and you did everything right, but I'd try disassembling again as you did to remove the mag safety, inspect everything, and carefully reassemble. If that doesn't work, I'd do it again to reinstall the mag safety and then call Ruger. Good luck.

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
I'm no expert....but it sounds to me like the trigger spring came loose. Disassemble it and look at the right side and see if the spring came loose. Good luck and let us know.

BullseyeX10

Bearcat
Well fellas, I tore the gun completely apart, and re-assembled it. It seems to work just fine now. The only thing I noticed was that the sear spring was slightly bent in the area of the 90-degree bend where it goes through the hole in the sear. Other than that, I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. The trigger resets just fine and I still have the mag safety removed. Thanks for the suggestions!