SR9 Williams Firesight and Holsters

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
I'm sure this info is buried in some other threads, but I'm hopeless at searches and I'm not finding the specific info I'm looking for.

I am hoping to buy a SR9 very soon. It will be a range/casual competition gun, I have no intention to carry it. Besides Talon grips, I am seriously considering the Williams Fiber Optic Firesights on shopruger.

Two questions.
1) I have never installed sights before. Are these sights something someone mechanically challenged with no experience messing with sights can install themselves or will I need a gunsmith?

2) I hear the front sight is quite high. I have also heard that fiber optics can be a bit fragile compared to normal sights. Therefore, I assume it's important to get a holster with plenty of clearance for the front sight. I don't need anything worthy of a race gun, just something suitable for some casual IDPA type shooting. Any suggestions?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The SR front sight isn't that high and replacement fiber optic sights are no higher than the stock blade. I fitted a HiViz fiber optic front to my SR9C (same sight as the full size) and it has no problem with holster clearance. I have a Fobus Kydex for mine and sight clearance is more than ample.

As to fitting it your self, it's not that difficult but if you have no experience doing this type of job it's probably worth the small charge to have it done professionally.

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
I've seen the HiViz front. It is much lower than the Williams sight. In fact the only negative reviews I've seen on the Williams is just how high the front post is. The rear is high as well I think. But that is not an issue as far as holsters.

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
Given the amount of info online :cry: I guess replacing the sights on an SR9 is not that popular of an operation. Certainly not with fiber optics.

I decided to punt and get the Novak's off shopruger.com that seem to be pretty standard size and spent a little more than I cared to for a CompTac holster with a generous sight channel should I decide to get crazy later on.

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
I ended up going with the Novaks front and rear. Huge improvement over the factory sights for me, but with no other experience with fiber optic sights, can't rate how they stack up to others.

Latest posts