Where to find recoil springs for a P-95?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drfarth

Bearcat
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a Ruger P-95, and although the gun functions flawlessly, I understand that it's no longer produced, so I was thinking to pick up a few parts to have in stock for the future in case anything wears out. In addition to a few extra magazine springs, I figure that recoil springs tend to wear out with use, so I was thinking to buy an extra. However, I can't seem to find any in stock anywhere. Ruger has the outer recoil spring listed on their website, but the inner spring is out of stock everywhere.

I called Ruger, only to find that any parts for this gun not listed as in stock on their online store are "obsolete," which is a term that means they will no longer be selling the parts to the public (if my gun were broken, I could send it in for $30 and they'd fix it with the parts they have on hand - they just don't want to sell the rest of their parts to people like me who just want to stock up on an extra part to have on hand - understandable, but who knows if Ruger's stock will last until my recoil spring actually does wear out?). Brownells and Midway are both out of this part as well.

Does anyone know of a source for recoil springs for the P-95? A third party supplier? How long do they normally last? Does the inner spring matter much, or would replacing the outer spring, when it gets to that point, be good enough? Anyone have experience with a recoil spring in their P-95 wearing out?

Thanks.

dwd

Single-Sixer
you might try Wolff Gunsprings, but I didn't see one for the P-95. You might call them and they might have one or something that might work.

Al James

Hunter
blume357 said:
The simplest and easiest way to get replacement parts is also the most expensive (unless you add up what you would pay for all the parts individually)... and that is to just buy another pistol...

I've noticed you are a firm believer in that concept. How many P95dc's are you up to now? I'm jealous :oops:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
The simplest and easiest way to get replacement parts is also the most expensive (unless you add up what you would pay for all the parts individually)... and that is to just buy another pistol...
Right. But what do you do after you then have two pistols needing an unobtainable part?

BTW, I no longer have a P-95 but is its recoil spring different from the other P-series 9 mm pistols? Wolff lists several weight recoil springs for the P85,P89, etc?

drfarth

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
blume357 said:
Right. But what do you do after you then have two pistols needing an unobtainable part?

BTW, I no longer have a P-95 but is its recoil spring different from the other P-series 9 mm pistols? Wolff lists several weight recoil springs for the P85,P89, etc?

I assume that another 9mm spring could be jerry-rigged into the guide rod, and the right poundage could be determined through enough experimentation. However, I just heard back from Wolff and their response is that they do not offer a recoil spring to fit the P-95, nor do they have plans to. I think that's really a shame, given the popularity of this pistol, and the fact that many owners will probably be needing a new recoil spring in the next couple of years. The market is there.

Does anyone know how long these recoil springs are rated to last?

roylt

Hunter
My humble opinion is the gun will work for longer than you need it to. Figure you paid less than 300 so if it lasts two years that is less than 50 cents a day.

I have bought several used guns and they all worked great. I have never had to replace a recoil spring. With that said I don't shoot a lot either.

If you are really worried, I would suggest you buy the outer spring for 2 bucks and then let time tell. Bet you never need it.

Good luck and welcome from one P-nut to another.

GKC

Blackhawk
drfarth said:
...if my gun were broken, I could send it in for $30 and they'd fix it with the parts they have on hand...

I'm curious about this price...is this a fee that Ruger quoted you? Did you buy the gun used?

Usually Ruger will send you a mailing label for a gun that isn't working (or broken) and repair it on their dime. I'm wondering if this fee is something Ruger is charging because the gun is no longer in production, but I've read about them repairing free of charge guns that aren't in production before.

roylt

Hunter
I had to pay shipping to get my pistol to them but it was 35 bucks. Ended up getting a new 1911 out of the deal so I didn't cry too bad about paying a bit extra.

GKC

Blackhawk
roylt said:
I had to pay shipping to get my pistol to them but it was 35 bucks. Ended up getting a new 1911 out of the deal so I didn't cry too bad about paying a bit extra.

I wouldn't cry about that either...but, what were the circumstances?

drfarth

Bearcat
roylt said:

This is the number that the Ruger tech quoted me. It was going to be $35 (not $30) to ship it to them, and they would ship it back to me for free.

roylt

Hunter
GKC said:
roylt said:

I wouldn't cry about that either...but, what were the circumstances?

Not to jack the tread but. I had a 45 that was deemed non-repairable (bad frame) so they said I could get a 1911 if I paid an up charge. The up charge and freight made it expensive but still cheaper than buying a 1911 outright.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
After reading Mel Tappins book survival guns, I went out and bought spare parts for my two Colt 1911 pistols. Some forty years later, I don't think I ever needed a spare part. Don't worry about it. Probably takes more than 50,000 rounds to wear out a Ruger recoil spring set as these guns are over engineered for the 9mm Luger. Additionally, as you point out the outer recoil spring is available for $2.00. You could always just replace that spring every 10,000 rounds and probably run forever.

As a side note, almost ten years ago I purchased a Sherrif's Academy very used Glock 17. This weapon is clearly knackered having been shot tens of thousands of rounds. I had a Glock Armorer take a look at it and he thinks it is all original and needed no replacement parts. Of course it could have had a replacement recoil spring assembly somewhere in there in service, but most likely not. I recall, Chuck Taylor tested the G17 and ran almost 200,000 rounds through his G17 only replacing the front sight. I'll bet your P95 will last for a long, long time too.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I have 3---2 are still unfired NIB---I'll just pull out another one as they wear out----being over 50, I'll probably have a usable P95 till I die.

Latest posts