MkIII frame swap between models

Help Support Ruger Forum:

metoo5

Bearcat
I like the 22/45 with a short bull barrel, and the only 4" bull barrel non-threaded one (threaded pistol barrels not legal in my state) is the 10109 without replaceable grips. If I got one I could do the do-it-yourself replaceable grip mod that I see many do.

But suppose I wanted two of them anyway, so let's say later I were to get a 22/45 model with replaceable grips, such as the 10158. All of the replaceable grip models are 5.5" barrel. If I swapped frames on them I'd have a short-barrel repl grip gun.

a) 10109 barrel + 10158 frame = custom config (4" bull barrel with repl grips)

Now with the remaining frame and receiver/barrel, it seems to me I'd have a 10107:

b) 10158 barrel + 10109 frame = functional equivalent to 10107 (5.5" bull barrel with non-repl grips)

Questions:

1) Can you really swap 22/45 frames like that or are they really custom fitted at the factory? I've heard it both ways.

2) If the answer to #1 is yes, on gun 'a' above what would happen if I had to return it to Ruger for maintenance? Would there be a danger of them returning the gun without the frame from the 10158? Of course I could swap them back, but I just wonder.

3) Regarding 'b' above, if you mixed barrel/frame can it legitimately be called a 10107? Are these latter model numbers stamped anywhere, or is it just a functional designation for the barrel type/length and frame type? Or would it be some bastardized thing with no correct official model number?

I'm just thinking ahead of possibilities. I don't even have one yet.