Why No Love For the SR's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I know there are a lot of P shooters here. I'm one of them. I recall back when the 85 came out, it got no respect or love. Time has passed, the P evolved and now they have a following, at least a bunch of old curmudgeons seem have fallen for them.
I'm curious why the SR's don't get the same level of devotion. Or am I just biased and not paying attention.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Bfly

Trucker

Single-Sixer
" Or am I just biased and not paying attention."

That would be my first guess. :)

It took a while for the P's to be accepted. Same thing is likely true for the SR's.

Also, the SR's are "another generic auto-pistol" in nature, so that may have an impact on this.

JMHO

:)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I love the SR series. I cringe when I read "another generic auto-pistol" but I suppose it's true. I suppose its about adding up the differences of what your looking for and finding the best fit. The SR for me is what would have been made if I was allowed to design and produce my own pistol for my own use.

It really does fit my needs that well. Just as one for instance- the size. For my hand and with the 9rnd mag I can fit all fingers on perfectly without the pinky extension, and keep a very low profile. It's just dumb luck that it fit my hand as well as it did. It's as if they measured my hand then made the gun just for me.

So I assure you I have the same level of devotion as any P nut. It's just that there's not very many people to talk to about it. :D

I did not intend to disparage the SR's, just noting that the industry has swamped the market with a whole slew of "new, improved" auto pistols and any one model kinda gets lost in the shuffle as the "slick" magazines beat us to death with glowing reviews of the latest-and-greatest.

Personally, I think the SR's look pretty good. Haven't fondled/shot one yet.

:)

Edited to add . . . In this conversation I've been referring to the SR9/40/45 guns, not the SR1911. It might be said that the SR1911 is "yet another 1911 clone" and there's considerable truth to this. That said, it appears that there's always a good market for any quality 1911 type, while the "universal poly-lower auto" is a very congested and perhaps confusing market.

JMHO

BradB

Bearcat
Glock, Springfield, and S & W are real popular for competitive target, and combat Tupperware. Beretta, Sig, and CZ are kind of dominant in that combat auto cult of following. Ruger and the SR falls shy or gets labeled "mid range" in the "best for this" or "best for that" category as heard from many gun professionals who shoot the "said" categories. I thought the P series was great because you could buy a quality high cap auto for a poor man's dollar. JMHO I also think Ruger won't sell tops in the AR rifle market. Too much already out there just as good or cheaper.

hittman

Staff member
For me, the SR series filled no needs. The market was already chock full of semi-auto's of similar size, weight and price. By the time they came out I already owned a CZ75, Sig P220 and others.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
The SR9c and SR9 are two of the best pistols I've ever owned. Owned about 25-30 hand guns over the years.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
BradB said:
Ruger and the SR falls shy or gets labeled "mid range" in the "best for this" or "best for that" category as heard from many gun professionals who shoot the "said" categories.

That's what they are saying if they are being polite! lol

When I meet a stranger at the range and they ask me what I am shooting and I tell them a SR40c usually what I get is "What's that??" then I tell them it's a Ruger Semi auto and it's almost the same reply every time. They scrunch up their nose like they smell something bad and say "nah, I like Ruger revolvers but not the semi auto's".

It kind of irritates me, but that's what I hear from other shooters.

I sold my first Charter 2000 Bulldog in .44 spcl for what a new one would cost. I waited for a couple of years before replacing it hoping Ruger would make one. No joy! So I bought a new Charter Arms Bulldog. This same scenario unfolds with the semi autos. Late to the dance!
gramps

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Don't let the gun snobs get you down. I shoot almost twice a month at a local action pistol match and out of approx 30 that show up, I am usually the only one with a SR9. I tend to end up about middle of the pack in ranking, but it ain't the guns fault I don't do better. At the current time, since brand new it has yet to have any malfunction of any kind. At the speed in which we go through ammo I would have thought it would stumble, but it keeps on going strong. I shoot any ammo from laquer steel, aluminum to good stuff and some time all in the same mag. So people can turn their nose up all they want. I'll just keep it as my little secret of how good this gun is. I carry a SR9c everyday to protect me and my family also.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
I sold my first Charter 2000 Bulldog in .44 spcl for what a new one would cost. I waited for a couple of years before replacing it hoping Ruger would make one. No joy! So I bought a new Charter Arms Bulldog. This same scenario unfolds with the semi autos. Late to the dance!
gramps
Ah yes...............The Charter Arms Bulldog. One of my all time favorite revolvers. Had an old Stratford, CT. pug that was always a blast to shoot. Never should have sold it.

roylt

Hunter
No love for the SR!?!??

The SR has not one but two sticky at the top of this catagory. I asked to get a P-gun take down tutorial stickyed and no luck. So I feel the SRs are loved a bit more if only more openly.

I will always try to keep the P-guns alive though. Not to say I will never own a SR. It could happen. I do have a Glock already though which is a plastic striker fired pistol.

Regards,

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
gave all my P series away, except old faithful P-85. now I own an SR9,40,45,9c and just picked up a 40c. dollar for dollar best buy in the industry. strong, reliable and accurate. not to mention all my girls are very pretty.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think the main reason that Ruger centerfire autos have never been the darling of the in-crowd is because they usually sell for $100-200 less. Alot of folks are firmly convinced that expensive=better and always will.

Mike J

Hunter
The only SR I own is a SR 1911. I did get to shoot one of the early post recall SR9s once when I met a member from here at a rental range. It was okay other than the heavy trigger & someone had really jacked up the rear sight. Personally I think a lot of people get turned off by the magazine disconnect & large loaded chamber indicator. With all that said though I see a lot of positive posts about the Ruger SR series guns on other forums. They seem to have a pretty strong following. Who knows maybe one day I might end up with one but my handgun needs are pretty much met for now.

revhigh

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
I think the main reason that Ruger centerfire autos have never been the darling of the in-crowd is because they usually sell for $100-200 less. Alot of folks are firmly convinced that expensive=better and always will.

LOL !!!

You should work for obama ... Great attempt at spin !

REV