poor shot with LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pappyjack

Bearcat
Went to range with my LCP. Shot very poorly. Have arthritis and weak hands. Picked up my 1955 High Standard 22 revolver and unloaded all shots into the head profile of the target, SAO. I know the LCP is point and shoot, but is there anything I can do at the 20 - 25' range? I consistently shot low and left with the LCP. Would practice with the 22 using DAO help? Considering getting SAO 22lr pocket carry.

groberts

Single-Sixer
The LCP has higher felt recoil than the LC9 because it so light. That is probably what is throwing off your shots, especially with arthritis. If low and left is less than 4 inches point and shoot at the COM, not the head. Their you've got the gall bladder and liver and hitting them would be very painful. The LCP is not meant for target shooting, it's meant for close in defense.

Welcome to the forum poppyjack. Using the tip of the finger and slowly pulling back the trigger while maintaining the sight picture may help. Different ammo may also help. My LCP loves Tula. The cheap stuff-go figger.
gramps

pappyjack

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. Have been trying different grips while dry firing using snap caps. Using this gun gets painful fairly quick. Will keep it for awhile and practice and try to overcome these problems. Really like size and weight for ccw. Any comments on grip and accessories with be appreciated. Have mag extensions installed. Thanks again

Jim Puke

Hunter
gramps said:
slowly pulling back the trigger while maintaining the sight picture may help. Different ammo may also help.

Sights...Who can see the sights?

I just look down the slide....get acceptable patterns like that, 'cause, they ain't no way that I will ever be able to see those sights if I ever need that gun.

jammer

Single-Sixer
Good idea gramps. ;) I have been teaching my girlfriend at the range and have her do a round of dry fire in between live fire. It has helped her considerably. Concentrate on your grip and stance being the same every time. Concentrate on the muzzle/front sight simultaneously with the trigger. Keeping that front sight steady at the point the trigger breaks is key. Do 6 rounds of dry fire then load a full magazine and shoot.. that trigger sucks. I had one. Got rid of it because id rather carry my sp or sr40c but if all I had was daisy dukes on I would carry another lcp .. the pistol itself is rather snappy and with that trigger it makes for a hard time on target. Try the dry fire at the range and see if it helps. Could also take ibuprohen before going . I do..

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Yeah, my hands are going, too. I actually like the feel of the LCP and the long trigger, it's the big semi-autos that bother my hands. The absence of any real sights on the LCP makes me feel good putting the rounds on a piece of notebook paper at 20 feet. I've had my LCP for about 4 years now. I've given up the idea of grouping 2" @21 feet. Putting it on the paper is good enough. Keep at it.

dlay

Bearcat
Its purpose is not target shooting, I shoot a clip thru mine about twice a year just to keep the feel in mind. It is the only pistol that I have that I will carry consistently. The size and weigh are the selling points, if its home on the nightstand it will not do you any good when you need it.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
dlay said:
Its purpose is not target shooting, I shoot a clip thru mine about twice a year just to keep the feel in mind. It is the only pistol that I have that I will carry consistently. The size and weigh are the selling points, if its home on the nightstand it will not do you any good when you need it.
Have to agree with that. The availability of 380 ammo isn't what it was when I bought my LCP 4 years ago. I put over 800 rounds through it in the first year and a half and probably 100-150 in the last 2 and a half. The LCP is an awesome last line of up close defense gun, not a tack driver.

jnichols2

Bearcat
pappyjack,

DO NOT practice with your .22 hoping to improve with the LCP, it will probably make things worse. Unfortunately, the only way to get better with the LCP is to shoot the LCP.

Buckeye,

I know what you mean, but there is hope. I had laser and cataract surgery on my left (dominant) eye 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I shot without my glasses for the first time in 20 years. Not only could I see the sights, but the target looked much better too.

Today I had my right eye done. Can't wait to try it.

Z1D2

Bearcat
I didn't do bad shooting my lcp. But I think 20 feet is not where I was at. I shot 28 rounds to try it out. I will work my way back to 25 feet later on.

Paulmj

Bearcat
Pappyjack, I have an LCP which I hate to shoot for pretty much the same reasons that you listed. In fact, I haven't shot it in almost 2 years. I recently purchased a Sig P238 which is a single action semi, slightly larger than the LCP. It shoots like a dream, and I recommend you check it out if you want a very good, well-made .380 alternative. The grip is larger, the recoil is much less and very manageable, and it comes with a great set of sights.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
The LCP is a very high recoil gun. Not easy to shoot at all.

If I had arthritis, I would probably try to go with something that's a lot easier on the recoil. Maybe consider a glock 42.

Paulmj

Bearcat
Perceived recoil is highly subjective. If you're an older person, with arthritis and/or arm & shoulder problems, you can have a lot of hurt with something like an LCP. A two fingered and very narrow grip, no sights, and a "snappy" recoil, makes this a lousy range gun IMHO. If you're not caught up in all the concealment and defensive issues, it especially makes no sense to own a gun like the LCP.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Paulmj said:
Perceived recoil is highly subjective. If you're an older person, with arthritis and/or arm & shoulder problems, you can have a lot of hurt with something like an LCP.

For the record, I am 54yrs old and have arthritis in the fingers on both hands...so I know a little about that. Also, the LCP does not generate enough recoil to hurt even the very worst arthritic arm or shoulder.
A two fingered and very narrow grip, no sights, and a "snappy" recoil, makes this a lousy range gun IMHO. If you're not caught up in all the concealment and defensive issues, it especially makes no sense to own a gun like the LCP.
The ONLY reason the LCP is made, is for concealed carry and defensive purposes. WHO...would buy the LCP for a range gun?

dagus

Bearcat
My solution to the problem: an RTK trigger. www.RTKtriggers.com Made a huge difference!!!

Also used Wolff Recoil Springs, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/178779/wolff-recoil-spring-set-ruger-lcp-13-lb-extra-power

bobkk

Bearcat
Recoil isn't bad on mine. It hurts my trigger finger and a neighbor says the same about his. Think I would rather shoot a 45 APC in a 3 inch barrel. It's good for what it's made for but not a target gun.