LCP barrel Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I happen to notice my LCP the other day had what looked to be a bare steel barrel and not a blued one like my wifes and her sisters. So I thought maybe the black LCPs all come this way and started looking at some others and they all had blued barrels. So this brings up a couple of questions. Are all LCPs supposed to have blued barrels? Did mine somehow slip out the door without going through the bluing process? Did the early models come with the bare carbon steel barrels? I noticed this because it appeared to start rusting, and I had only been carrying it in a pocket holster for about 2 months prior to seeing the rust. The gun has never been wet nor has the holster so I guess it rusted from just tempreature changes with carrying it.

exavid

Hunter
Casting about on the internet it appears that some early Ruger LCP barrels weren't blued. They're the same alloy steel but not blued. There are some reports about people sending in their barrels to Ruger to be blued. A couple of people on the Elsie Pea forum apparently got replacement barrels from Ruger at not charge. It would be worth your while to check it out on the phone at Ruger.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Well for a follow up I called Ruger and talked to Matt. He insisted that send some photos to Mr. Viladi and go from there. I just got the photos sent out late tonight so I will keep you guys posted.

dlay

Bearcat
collectormzornes said:
Well for a follow up I called Ruger and talked to Matt. He insisted that send some photos to Mr. Viladi and go from there. I just got the photos sent out late tonight so I will keep you guys posted.

What difference does it make, the first ones were bright, you may get a defective barrel when you swap..

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
It's easy to manage rust. Use plenty of 3 in 1 oil and #0000 fine steel wool. This works fine on bear steel and blued surfaces alike. Use plenty of oil to avoid scratches. After that, it is easy to keep a little oil or grease on it to prevent rusting. I live in the Space Coast of Florida, one of the worst rusting areas in US and can keep ahead of the rust with minimal effort.

Latest posts