Telling the difference between 11rd and 10rd 40cal. mags?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shooter65

Bearcat
I know that at one time, Ruger made an 11rd mag. for the P91/P944 series.
I'm guessing that it was made from the introduction of the P91, to pre-Sept. 1994 only?
I seem to remember it's packaging labeled as P-17, and I think that they were in white boxes (for LEO), or grey cardboard backed retail packages.
During the 1994-2004 ban, they made the 10rd. 40cal. mags., and I don't even know if they made 11 rounders for LEO.
I don't have a 10rd example to look at, but the old 11rd, has the standard plastic eagle floorplate.
It appears they now only make the 10rnd mags (item 90089).

Is there a way to tell the difference between the 10 and 11rnd mags.?
If you have a 10 rounder, can you stuff 11 in there, or is there a different part, that prohibits that?

I know it's easy to tell the difference between the P-18 9mm mags., because they have the large plastic block at the bottom, (10 rounders), but I don't know on the 40s&w mags.

roylt

Hunter
In my limited experience the 10 round mags have a crease running top to bottom that doesn't allow for the 11rd to fit in the stack. Basically the mag has been pinched tighter.

I never really understood the big deal on the 40 cal mags who cares about one round. I would use/own either and do.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Early 11 round mags have an aluminum base plate with no Ruger emblem and later 11 round and 10 round mags use the same plastic base plate with Ruger emblem on it. Like roylt said, the 10 round mag has a crease on both sides that reduce capacity by one round.

Al James

Hunter
They did make 11 rounders during the AWB and they are marked for "military/LE use only, etc" on the the belly of the magazine. The 10 rounders do not rattle when fully loaded which annoyed some people about the 11's I guess. That said I have sold off all of my P17/10 mags and am only running the 11's now. Roylt, 10% more capacity is a good thing :wink:

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
my P-17 mags came in a yellow Ruger cardboard/plastic blister bubble package. They have plastic bases. look just like the 10 rounders and they don't stamp numbers on them near the witness holes, so its tough to know what your looking at. Happy hunting....i think ebay might have them once in a while.

Mike J

Hunter
I just figured a picture is worth a thousand words.
fc10e13c-8359-4b0c-bfe5-45a52c9b361a_zpsf6333480.jpg

groberts

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
In my limited experience the 10 round mags have a crease running top to bottom that doesn't allow for the 11rd to fit in the stack. Basically the mag has been pinched tighter.

I never really understood the big deal on the 40 cal mags who cares about one round. I would use/own either and do.
Who cares? Libtards.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
groberts said:
roylt said:

Who cares? Libtards.

Since many live in libtard states....it is nice to find some pre ban hi cap mags as they are a called.
My state has had a 10 round limit since 1994 and never went back. BTW I have an 11 round mag for sale in the classifieds section if anyone wants to get their hands on one?

Latest posts