.45+p in the Ruger P90

Help Support Ruger Forum:

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I have a friend who wants to sell me his Colt Delta Elite 10mm. I think it would be a pretty good trail gun. But then I got to thinking, why not use .45+p in my P90. It might not be as hot as 10mm but would .45+p be adequate for cougar or wolf.

For you guys that shoot .45+p out of your P90 what loads do you like?
Is it recommended to change to a heavier recoil spring for shooting +p?

haymaker

Single-Sixer
Let me ask this in a different way. Is the Ruger P90 built to handle the +P loads from Underwood, Double Tap, or Buffalo Bore? The other question is for 4 legged thick skinned hairy creatures is a fmj more affective than some type of hollow point. In wolf or cougar sized animals would a hollow point expand before adequate penetration? What about bullet weight?

Yawn

Blackhawk
There are a lot of things to consider here... could you handle the recoil of a 10mm to give you as good shot placement or better as your P90 (or are you willing to work to get to that place)? Can you afford to buy the 10mm? Could you afford the ammo? If the answers to those questions are yes... then I would buy the gun from your friend. Besides the fact that it is my favorite of all 10mm, if you can, than why wouldn't you. Could a +P 45 ACP handle a coyote, probably. Cougar? well, not the worst but not the best. But, why not have the Colt that CAN handle both, and more, if you can handle it.

To answer your actual question... I like Buffalo Bore when looking at hot ammo.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I shot the Delta Elite a couple of years ago but don't recall the recoil any more stout than .45acp. I think he had it loaded with practice loads. I don't know if I can handle the recoil of 10mm loaded for protection in the woods. I have shot some pretty hot .45 Colt loads from my Blackhawk. I'm just curious what the P90 can handle.

Also, the Delta Elite has an unsupported chamber and hot loads from Underwood are not recommended. I would be skeptical of some loads from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap as well. Would a Glock G20 be a better option? I'm just looking for ideas.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
I'm certainly no expert but I was under the impression that the p90 was originally developed for the 10mm when ruger was looking to get a contract. when the contract fell through.....ruger was left with the p90 and decided to go with the .45acp since it was more marketable to the public......I hope someone that "knows" will chime in.

Yawn

Blackhawk
You said the key... if you are not able to handle full 10mm loads (and won't work to make sure that you can), then stick with what you can handle. But, 45ACp plus P may take some work as well. Shot placement is most important. The Glock 10mm is a good choice too... I am personally not the biggest Glock fan. That's just me!

Brian48

Bearcat
The P90 is tough gun and should handle any +P ammo out there. I used to use Hornady 230gr +P XTPs as my woods load whenever I wasn't using my reloads. For reloads, I preferred a 200gr hardcast, semi-wadcutter loaded with 7.5gr of Hercules (Alliant) Unique. Although not actually +P, it's a load that's pretty darn close to it. This load shot great in all my 1911s as well.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
acudti.jpg

10mm is a powerful 40 cal rd...but the 45 acp+P is a powerful 45 cal round...and my P90DC loves the +P stuff...but for woods carry I chose the 200gr LSWC..and they feed great in my P90DC

Delta's are scarce I'd get it if its priced right...

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Yes the P90 is stoutly built. I would steer clear of Buffalo Bore, the figures on their box exceed SAMMI specs and all of my loading manuals. Established ammo makers like Hornady and Speer make really good ammo that will do the job for you. If my memory serves me, some years back Maine State Trooper were issued P90 with Corbon ammo. They used this combination to dispatch moose that were hit on the road or that became a threat to citizens.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I emailed Ruger on their website and asked about +P in the P90. They said the gun would handle it but they don't recommend a steady diet of it. They also said a spring change shouldn't be necessary. I bought 2 different loads from Double Tap. The first is standard pressure 230gr fmj-fp rated at 960 fps. The gun handled it fine. The second load is +P 255gr swc hardcast rated at 875 fps. The P90 choked hard on it. The slide would not fully go into battery after the first shot. The slide was bound up pretty hard and took quite a bit of pressure to release it. The rest of that box will be used in my Blackhawk. I think the problem had more to do with hardcast bullets than anything else. I'll probably try some +P from other manufacturers and stick with jacketed ammo. When I reload I'll stay within the parameters of the load manuals.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I found that the P90 would devour my lead reloads even though they wouldn't fit completely in the gauge because they were slightly oversize. My loads were pretty light with Unique powder. You have discovered something interesting. When loads are too hot we gain perhaps 100fps but we introduce extra wear on the gun and may actually create a jam or failure. Perhaps these test will help you decide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl_anGfqnAI&list=PLC1012D29E86DF85A

You could have a Delta Elite, and you're even still thinking about a P90?

They don't even belong in the same thread.

Kind've like discussing a Checker automobile in a Hot Rod magazine. :wink:

WAYNO.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
You could have a Delta Elite, and you're even still thinking about a P90?

They don't even belong in the same thread.

Kind've like discussing a Checker automobile in a Hot Rod magazine. :wink:

WAYNO.

I should jump on the Delta but it's a lot of money and I already have the P90 and 2 Colt 1911's. That's why I'm asking about bumping up the power on the .45's.

revhigh

Hawkeye
If it's anywhere near a decent price, the DE should be a given.

There's no finer 10mm pistol ... In looks, quality, reputation, accuracy, and value ... I'd guess its around $1100 ?

REV

haymaker

Single-Sixer
It really looks like a pretty good deal. He will bring the gun over in a couple of weeks for me to try it. I think he bought it in the 90's sometime. It comes with 5 or 6 mags and 800 rounds of various flavors of 10mm ammo. He changed springs as per Colt's recommendations. $1350 is the price. My one big concern is the unsupported chamber in the Deltas but I don't really want to shoot nuclear loads anyway. What it comes down to is spending money that I really don't need to spend. For a trail walking gun I've got my .45's and .357magnums but a 10mm would be fun to add to the rotation.

cpaspr

Bearcat
Two points:

1) What is the ammo worth? Deduct that from the $1,350. That is the true cost of the gun. Now, could you sell it later for more than that? If so, good deal.

2) 800 rounds of reloadable brass after you shoot it. That's a big plus. 10mm brass isn't the easiest to come by. Especially not once-fired.

revhigh said:
If it's anywhere near a decent price, the DE should be a given.

There's no finer 10mm pistol ... In looks, quality, reputation, accuracy, and value ... I'd guess its around $1100 ?

REV

I have a Kimber Custom II TLE with night sights. Gave a touch over $1k for it. Pleasant to shoot and groups one ragged hole at 10yds. I would think the Delta Elite at over $1200, maybe $1500. JMO

Dave :D

pyth0n

Buckeye
chefrob1 said:
I'm certainly no expert but I was under the impression that the p90 was originally developed for the 10mm when ruger was looking to get a contract. when the contract fell through.....ruger was left with the p90 and decided to go with the .45acp since it was more marketable to the public......I hope someone that "knows" will chime in.
The P90 was not developed for the 10mm. It's been discussed many times here and you can probably find the posts from coffee pot & Iowegan through the search function.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
thx for chiming in ............and thx for the search leads............