Current SR45 owner experiences?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
GKC said:
Conn AK said:
Nice pistol, lousy magazines.

Since its hard enough to find Ruger magazines, and I'm guessing there aren't any aftermarket magazines available yet (if ever), this is a pretty big drawback.
Nope, no aftermarket for any of the SR-series that I've seen.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Grabagun near Dallas has the factory SR45 mags for $29.66:

http://grabagun.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/ruger-magazine-sr45-10rd.html

I ordered one recently - quick service. Also just bought a S&W M&P Sport 5.56 AR rifle from them, a great buy at $579.

Bought my SR45 a year ago - it had slide lockback problems during the first range session, but none since. Nice pistol for the money, just like my SR9.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
SR guy and I had a similar issue. seating large pistol primers is a little different than small pistol. if they are not bottomed out here will be cussing. learned that years ago the hard way of course. also one of the things I have done to my SR45 just in case I screw up, is add an extra power striker spring from GALLOWAY PRECISION. that is a little insurance for an old handloader. you never know when senility might set in and I forget the lessons of youth. heck, maybe I'll even take up with an 18 year old stripper! you never know about us old geezers!

GKC

Blackhawk
pjvrefugee said:
you never know when senility might set in and I forget the lessons of youth. heck, maybe I'll even take up with an 18 year old stripper! you never know about us old geezers!

There is no excuse, of any kind, that my wife would ever buy in that case...if I ever want to commit suicide, that's the way I'm doing it! :lol:

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I've had mine about 6 months now. Much like my SR9c, it is comfortable to shoot, and I haven't had any problems with it. The mags were a little sticky in the beginning, but seemed to be worked in now. Never any firing issues and pleasant to carry. Great pistol, especially for the price. I forgot to add, I've shot a few different name-brand factory loads through it, 230 grain fmj's, and some hot underwood and buffalo bore too.

Update to previous: A new magazine was quickly sent to me as an exchange. The slide lock back issue has been resolved. I still get a jam up (ejection problem, stove pipe) 3 or 4 times out of the last 500 rounds (Winchester White Box, CCI Blazer Aluminum, American Eagle). I don't know if that considered "reliable". I keep on seeing these posts on the internet, "....yeah I've got x-thousand rounds of Ammo XYZ with no probs...it eats everything..." Really? Thats like fantasyland for me. Maybe I should have spent that extra $100 on the S&W, Glock or Springfield. Too bad, because it actually is enjoyable to shoot. Feels good in the hand. The weight is just right. I've figured out the trigger. The recoil is manageable. And just when I start to love it, it rips my heart out and stomps on it....

Good customer service though.

Passtime

Bearcat
I have close to 1000 rounds through mine but it had feeding issues in the beginning. Since then it has smoothed out and works like a charm. IMO a few hiccups in five hundred rounds is not a deal breaker. It could have been ammo or limp wristing amongst other things but if you can't trust it it's not much good to you. When I think back on it I probably should have gave it some time to break in before I sent it back to Ruger for the feeding issues.

daverz56

Bearcat
Let me start out by saying I yada.love the SR45,it points naturally for me,recoil is not bad yada yada yada.
I sent it back a few months ago for light primer strikes,I was thrilled when I got it back within a week,however I had back surgery and wasn't able to get to the range to try it out.Thursday the wife and I went to the range.Happy day right?Wrong,it was worse than when I sent it in the first time.Racking the slide the take down pin literally falls out,still getting light primer strikes,I saved the rounds that the SR45 wouldn't fire and put them in my Glock 36,it ate them with no problem.One of the mags wouldn't allow the slide to lock back.As I was packing up to leave I noticed a retaining pin laying on the bench so I checked my Glock,no problem all pins are accouted for so I field strip my SR45 and low and behold the upper pin for the fire control was missing.sigh.
It's been mailed back but I was sadly disappointed.I'm sure Ruger will make it right because that's just how they are,great customer service,however if I have to send it back after this I will request it be replaced.I am still a HUGE Ruger fan.

animal

Bearcat
Recently went to the range and put about 200 rounds through the SR45. No FTF or FTE this round. I think the pistol is doing really well with it's break-in period (500 rounds so far). WC WhiteBox, Federal, and WC WhiteBox JHP all fed perfectly through SR45.

I am enjoying this gun every time I shoot it.

After doing a standard field strip to clean it, I even took out the striker and found gunk in there and cleaned it out. I'll be heading out again in a couple weeks and see how she fires then. If you are experiencing light strikes, look to clean the striker to solve those issues (youtube to find out how to remove it)

Well, I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. I have had mine for about a year, and I've put about 1500 rounds thru mine (maybe more). I reload, so I haven't tried any boxed ammo yet, but it likes everything I have put in it. I have done hollow points, SWC, RNL, and FMJ.

And I still have not even cleaned it. I have been waiting for it to start failing, but it hasn't yet!

Shawn

Bearcat
I recently bought the SR45 and have to say I really like how accurate it is and the recoil not bad at all.Much less recoil then I expected. I have only shot about 100 rounds through mine and the only problem I had was with the magazines.They have to be pushed in with some force when loaded with 10 rounds.I haven't tried with only 9 rounds,but that is my only complaint.
I had a S&W M&P Shield 40 cal and it started jamming and FTF problems. I sold it and told the person I sold it to what the problems were. He didn't seem to mind.
I am now considering on getting the SR9c to carry since I sold the Shield I carried,but why carry a gun that you can't trust to work if needed.