Where to get Ruger P89 magazine? (s/n below 304-70000)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bret

Bearcat
I was finally able to purchase some new factory Ruger 15rd P-Series magazines for a couple of new to me P89's. Unfortunately, it was hard to rack the slide on one of them when I inserted one of these magazines. I did some research and found out the there are actually two different magazines for the P89 depending on the serial number with the serial number 304-70000 being the dividing line. Well, I now have Ruger magazines for the one that has a serial number greater than 304-70000, but I can't find Ruger magazines for the one that has a serial number below 304-70000. I would just use Mec-Gars, but the floor plate really cuts in to my hand. The Ruger part number for the factory Ruger 15rd magazines I need is 90234. Does anyone know where I can find them?

roylt

Hunter
Ruger has them in stock.

http://shopruger.com/P-Series-9mm-Blued-Magazine-15-Shot-90234/productinfo/90234/

Bret

Bearcat
Thanks for the link. I wouldn't say I'm cheap, but paying $40 each for mags is kind of steep. The Ruger mags that I did get were $30 each, so I was hoping for a price in that range.

roylt

Hunter
You basically need to lower the new mag so it will fit. If you "mill" the mag hole or the mag stop they should work. Or if you say the metal foot mags bother your hand you could simply grind the foot so it is smooth with the pistol grip when installed.

Mark O

Bearcat
I have a P85 (ser# 300-6xxxx) and P89 (ser# 305-4xxxx). I have no problem using any of the original magazines in either pistol - the P89 mags work in the P85. I have a couple of spare early P85 Ruger magazines that work in the P89. The MEC-GARS I have work in both pistols. I can see slight differences between the P89 and P85 mag followers. What specifically is the difference that causes problems? Pictures please. Thanks. Mark O

roylt

Hunter
It was a small design change made by Ruger to raise the height of the round in relation to the chamber. The newer mags have the hole for the release slightly lower. Only like .010" or so. Can cause the ejector to be pushed over slightly and or the slide to hang on the mag lips.

Mark O

Bearcat
I can see no significant difference in the P89 and P85 magazines other than the follower. See the following measurements from the top of the mag release opening to the top front of the mag.
P89 Ruger Mags: 1.652" & 1.655"
P85/P89 Mec-Gars Mags: 1.655" & 1.654"
P85 Ruger Mags: 1.653", 1.651", 1.651" & 1.654"
What am I missing? Mark O
Also - I have pictures but they are difficult to post here.

Bret

Bearcat
roylt said:
Only like .010" or so. Can cause the ejector to be pushed over slightly and or the slide to hang on the mag lips.
That's exactly what happened with my pistol.

roylt

Hunter
Mark O said:
I can see no significant difference in the P89 and P85 magazines other than the follower. See the following measurements from the top of the mag release opening to the top front of the mag.
P89 Ruger Mags: 1.652" & 1.655"
P85/P89 Mec-Gars Mags: 1.655" & 1.654"
P85 Ruger Mags: 1.653", 1.651", 1.651" & 1.654"
What am I missing? Mark O
Also - I have pictures but they are difficult to post here.

Just because you have a newer serial numbered 89 doesn't mean you have the newer style mags. What do your mags look like? The all metal type Ruger supplied for years should work in both old and new guns.
So maybe the measurements you posted don't really tell the complete story.

I really like the P-guns and am glad to see people talking about them and trying to help each other.

roylt

Hunter
The old style Ruger supplied was an all metal design. (Metgar) There current style has a different shape to the hole that is used to hold it into the gun. The link I posted to Rugers site shows this. The newer units are a rectangular hole and the older fit units have a round shape on the bottom edge.

Mark O

Bearcat
roylt - Thanks for the information. This makes sense to me now if the plastic base is the key to any differences. All of my magazines are the all-metal type with a square shaped magazine release opening. I did notice the round bottom to the magazine release opening and the plastic base in your attached link to the Ruger site. Your input is appreciated. Mark O

Bret

Bearcat
Excellent information! I setup a search on GunBroker to notify me when someone posts them for sale. I also set Buds Gun Shop to notify me when the get back in stock. I'll let you know when I get them.

roylt

Hunter
I have found on gunbroker the buyer typically knows more than the seller. Good luck on your search. Ruger also uses a code for the mags. I think "P15" is the older serial number style you are looking for and "P18" is the newer.

Gotta love those P-guns!! From one P-nut to another!

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
I am pretty sure that the newer Mec-Gar magazines that are marked for P85 - P95 will function in the old and new. The 17rd Mec-Gar mags cycled fine in the older P89, and my newer P89, P93/P94 whereas my newer Ruger mags would not cycle in the older P89 (one of the reasons I got some of Mec-Gar mags). If you search there are some out there.... here is the Mec-Gar number to search for MGRP8517B

Bret

Bearcat
For anyone who's looking, I finally found these in stock at wholesalehunter.com. The part number is 90234.

jay1470

Bearcat
Brett,
I have a bunch of the Ruger P89 Factory mags you are looking for. They have the metal baseplates and are all brand new factory that have been sitting in my closet. I was just about to put them up for sale online.

J

Bret

Bearcat
Thanks for letting me know, but I already purchased a couple from Wholesalehunter.com.