sr40c magazine, marked for 15, only holds 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I guess I had never noticed this before, but the larger of the two magazines that came with my Ruger sr40c is marked on the side showing a capacity for 15 rounds, but will only hold 14. Not sure if that means I have a defective magazine or if that is just the way they are.

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
Is it a new mag? I have a 40c and it took awhile for me to be able to top out any of the 15rnd mags that I have for it. The spring is exceptionally tight. Invest in a Maglula UpLULA loader, if you haven't already, load it and then store it somewhere. Even now, I still have to give it an little 'umpf' to get the last round in but it is possible.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
It is sometimes hard to get that last round in a new mag, i had to use the loading tool to get the last round in, but after leaving them loaded for about a month they load better. My Sr45 mags were much worse to get that last round in, and would not cycle with a fully loaded mag.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I remember picking up my brass after my first trip to the range with the sr40c. I noticed every ~10th (or so) casing had 2 strange scratches running longways down the length of the case. At first I was concerned there was some kind of bur inside the chamber, I couldn't understand the source of the marks. But soon I discovered it was from the first round dragging on the inside of the magazine lips. :D That's how tight mine where.

It never happened again after the first trip.