P91DC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

martyj

Blackhawk
Does anyone have any knowledge if the P91DC is a good pistol or do they have issues?
Local gun store has one for 300.00
thanks

hittman

Staff member
I can't say that ANY P-series pistol has been prone to bad reviews.

Never had the 91 but my 90, 95 and 97 (all DCs) are flawless.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have a KP91-DC that i bought in January 2011 for $319.00, it came with 2 eleven round mags and case. It is an early one with the metal base plates on the mags. Have not shot it a lot, but it has never had any kind of a problem and is as accurate and well built as my KP944. I have never had any issues with any of the P series pistols, they are all built to last forever.

martyj

Blackhawk
I have to admit Im impressed with the pistol.
Shoots every bit as well as my Sig, Glock, or S&W.
Not sure why they sell so cheap but they work well.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Good guns but same accuracy issue as the p89. Not sure which Sig you are speaking of but the p91 is not in the same league as the p226 229 etc. This is why it sells for 1/3 the price. My P90 is the most accurate of any Ruger cf pistol yet.

I had a very nice p91 but like most of the 40s I had, it was just not that accurate. Also with only 11rds I saw no reason to move to it over the p90.

If the gun is in good shape and only $300 you can't go wrong.

modrifle3 said:
Good guns but same accuracy issue as the p89. Not sure which Sig you are speaking of but the p91 is not in the same league as the p226 229 etc. This is why it sells for 1/3 the price. My P90 is the most accurate of any Ruger cf pistol yet.

I had a very nice p91 but like most of the 40s I had, it was just not that accurate. Also with only 11rds I saw no reason to move to it over the p90.

If the gun is in good shape and only $300 you can't go wrong.

Your reasoning is pretty much exactly the same as mine. I sold off all my .40s a while back due to accuracy issues. Since then, I had acquired some more, a Glock 23 Gen 4 and sig p226 elite enhanced. I recently just sold those, going to fund the same sig in 9mm or maybe the new 227 in .45. Then maybe my C3 wont be so lonely. The glock 23 may be replaced by a metal gun chambered for 9mm or .45

The glock 17 is still for sale, it IS a 9mm and the few rounds i shot through it proved it to be a very accurate gun, so I am hesitant...

modrifle3

Buckeye
Search the threads but most p89s including the three attempts I made would not manage consistent groupings.

I also went through exactly 3 p89s. Loose barrel lockup on all 3 and terrible accuracy issues. The P90 I shot (not mine) and P97 I owned a long time ago shot very well and locked up tight. The P90, from what I recall had a much better grip than my P97. More like a P89. So I had a Hogue on it. Lol.

I mainly stick to Ruger revolvers now, but have been considering a P90 in stainless.

steenroller

Bearcat
Had a P91 for a while that I bought used. It was a good pistol but had a little wear on it. $300 would be a good price for it. I ended up trading it off and got rid of most of my P series pistols because I wanted to move on to something else. I just wanted to try something else for a while. I will hang on to my P90 however.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
In a .40 P-Series Ruger, I would recommend a P944 over the P91. Specifically, a later/"second generation" P944, with the cam lock (or is it cam block?) recoil system, identifiable by a black polymer filler piece on the left side of the frame; these guns are significantly more durable over time compared to their earlier swinging-link P91 and earlier-production (also swinging-link) P944 brethren. The swinging-link works both well and durably in 9mm P85/P89/P90/P94 (9mm) guns, but the higher pressure/more quick pressure spiking characteristics of the .40 cartridge can cause some long-term challenges.

Otherwise, the P94/P944 is also more desirable in my opinion due to some other engineering/component changes Ruger made to these guns to provide for a smoother triggerpull and an overall more efficient system.

Best, Jon