Early Model P89 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just picked up a KP89dc I bought from a fellow member here. looks like it must be one of the very very early models.... because the serial number 302-71975 does not even show up on the ruger.com site under p89s.... their numbers start at 304. Well, actually the 302#s show up under the P85s. So, what gives here?

roylt

Hunter
Not real sure about serial number but I know the early 89s share parts with the 85. The barrel setup is the same and some of the other items. Slide stop, grips of course, etc etc.

That's the other thought I'm having is that it is a 89dc slide on a 85 frame....
Roylt, I hate to seem dense but aren't you the guy I sent the older 89dc slide and barrel to? I need to see if in my records I can figure that out.... I bought a newer 89dc slide from the same person.... which I put on my 89x....

the bad part about the deal is the mags are just slightly different and newer p mags don't seem to catch.... looks like the hole for the mag release pin is slightly larger on the older one and possibly just a tad higher.... I need to get out my micrometer to see.....

the good part, even though I have not shot this pistol yet, is it looks like it might have been fired maybe 5 or 6 times.... it looks brand new.... clean as a whistle and not a scratch or a mark on it.

roylt

Hunter
Yes. We made a deal before.

The old 89 you just got from John will require different mags. You need the old style. Ruger provided all metal mag that were made by MecGar I think.

I forget the specific serial number that the change was but Ruger has it listed on the mags they sell. Around 307-xxx serial was the change I think.

roylt

Hunter
Also the 85 had a totally different sear setup. I think the 89 was different for the first unit on so I don't think Ruger used an 85 frame but some of the other items were like the 85. The slide stop I know for sure because I put an old 85 on my 89. It is longer and fatter. Easier to reach. The decock levers look like the 85 but of course the 85 was safe only where the 89 you bought is DC style.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Blume.... I just replied to your PM with a PM..... and to recap I think this may have been addressed before here. I seem to recall reading that somewhere (assume here) about possible mag issues.

I believe when I read that I did try to swap mags between all my P series and confirmed the issue. However, I also recall that all the newer Meccgar 17RD Mags fit and cycle in all P85 - P95s and are marked as such, and are what I usually use and save the OEM mags in the case. When I read that mag issue, I think I did test fit/cycle all my mags and discovered that the newer OEM P mags would not fit or cycle in the older KP89 and vice-versa but the Meccgar Mags would. I have no idea why or what Meccgar did to make their mag fit all the P85s - P95's. Maybe the mag catch release is larger or the feed lips different.... I don't recall. I put the mags side by side but don't recall any specific difference. Granted, I never fired that KP89 (since I have one I did and do) and I have still yet to fire the KP93, KP94 and even the KP944 that I finally stocked up some ammo for.

I know Roy.... I will get to firing them sometime..... LOL. Last few times out at the range were .22 Revolver/Ruger Charger times and also sighting in a new 5.56 Sig AR-15. I have not shot any of my 9's in awhile, or that KP 944 .40 yet. Cold weather and snow keeps me away from the range in the winter and nice motorcycle riding days keep me away from it in the summer. One of these days I will combine a MC ride with a range day.... when they pave the goat trail or if I decide to take my antique 81 CB650.

Blume .... let me know if you find out anything different that what I mentioned above.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Yes. We made a deal before.

The old 89 you just got from John will require different mags. You need the old style. Ruger provided all metal mag that were made by MecGar I think.

I forget the specific serial number that the change was but Ruger has it listed on the mags they sell. Around 307-xxx serial was the change I think.

Ahhhh.... so maybe those mags are the OEM mags then. I wasn't sure.
So that could be all OEM and barely fired (never fired by me). I know it was very clean when I got it, and I cleaned it once or twice after an occasional fondling now and then. Yea, I do fondle on occasion....

I'm pretty sure they are factory mags... the older ones with out the plastic base just flat metal. Like I said the only difference I can see is the hole that the release pin catches seems slightly bigger and maybe just a hair higher.... but that could be because of the size. I need to get out a set of micrometers and see. It sure seems to me that if this is the only difference then it sure seems like the mag. pin and such should be able to be modified.

I just checked... the holes are the same size but on the older mags the hole is about 20 - 30 thousands of an inch higher....

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
So, I'm guessing the Meccgar 17Rd P85 - P95 mags have a bigger hole to accommodate all the P series. Just assume they do because they fit and cycle ok in that KP89 and my other one.... not to mention that they are marked for the whole P series.

I've taken both a newer P89 and the old one down to the frame (slide and grip panels off) and it sure looks like to me the only real difference is the height / vertical thickness of the mag latch pin.... seems the older one is about 8 thousands of an inch thicker..... the ejector is different on them and of course the workings spring between the hammer and the other stuff is different but I can't see how any of those function different with different magazines....

now my question is how do you remove the magazine release pin parts? Is there a secret to this?

roylt

Hunter
You push the spring deep into the frame to take tention off the release then they just pop out. I make it sound real easy but you have to push pretty hard. The release that actually has the mag holder part is very tight in the frame. I used a wood dowl to push so when I slip it doesn't mark the frame.

but the mag release button is two parts, I can get the one part out/off but then the other part won't slip out... I guess I need to figure out how to push harder.... I do know the spring tension on this older model is much heavier than the newer one.... same with the decock lever.

roylt

Hunter
Yeah the one side almost falls out but the other is a pain. You got to wiggle it just right and have your tongue sticking out just so for it to pop free.

I tried it on a 95 model and finally gave up. At least with the 89 you don't have the grip in the way.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.... I'm going to make sure this pistol works right before I take the pin thingy out and mess with it and I've figured out that you need a certain size piece of metal and a c-clamp .... this will allow me to use both hands and small plyers to pull the release out.

REB

Single-Sixer
As far as the SN being in the P85 range I also have an early P89DC but mine is in the 303 SN range. Many years ago I called Ruger and they confirmed it did ship as a P89 so there is obviously some issues with the SN ranges listed on the web site.