Any consensus on ammo for LCP concealed carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I will admit to being pretty much uneducated about the actual performance of different types of .380 ammo. On the basis of what seemed like "common sense" I have kept my LCP loaded with Speer or Hornady Personal Defense ammo, but watching a particular video showing hollow points not achieving even the minimal acceptable penetration into ballistic gel I wonder if I should carry the cheaper FMJ. Most of the ammo I have in .380 is either 90 or 95 grain and I also wonder how much difference that makes. What are other LCP users keeping in their carry gun?

I carry Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max..............same exact thing except for the green polymer instead of red.

Steve

Trucker

Single-Sixer
If, for whatever your reason, you're gonna stick with the 380 cal I'd use standard velocity HP defense ammo. Personally my LCP is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense or Hornady Zombies ...Either is STANDARD VELOCITY. As maineultraclassic has already mentioned, same ammo, different cases and polymer inserts.

My 9mm defense loads are Hornady Critical Duty +P but I would not run +P loads through the LCP.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Just shot 14 threw it @ apx. 10 feet, getting dark. The green laser is a plus as my hand shakes very bad sometimes and its spot on. I picked up 4 boxes of Zanders DRT ammo and I was concerned it wouldn't function, but no worry's. maybe a 2 inch group, but we were just breaking it in.

tjhodges310

Bearcat
I don't have an LCP, but my father in law does. I carry an LC9. However, if I carried a short barrel .380 such as the LCP, I would most likely choose 90 grain Hornady Critical Defense. The reason I would go with this load is due to the soft polymer tip in the hollow point cavity. This design is supposed to give the bullet a much better chance of expansion. Ballistics results I have seen on Youtube also support the theory. The problem I have with short barrel .380 semi autos is that you loose so much velocity in the round which tends to lead to a less likely chance of hollow point expansion. You can go ahead and forget about the FPS on the side of the package as most manufacturers are testing with > 3.5 inch barrel in .380. Taking all of this into consideration, you need a round that's going to give you the highest chance of any sort of expansion.

Side note: I don't carry any Hornady in my 9mm's because I have done research on other rounds that better suit my needs. I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 +P in my Ruger LC9 and Federal HST 147 grain in my Glock 19.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Compare the Underwood loads to what you normally use. Cheap enough to try out a couple different ones. http://www.underwoodammo.com/380acp.aspx

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
Data is always interesting. This report - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts - and this site - http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/ - are pretty interesting.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Here we go again ...... :D

REV

Yup, there will never be a consensus on defensive ammo. So I recommend find a major brand that feeds well in your gun and stick with it.

That doesn't even include the debate of FMJ and HP rounds in the LCP. But seriously don't worry too much about it, I skip reading all the data charts and blah blah blah. Make sure its a major brand, it runs in your gun and that's about as much as you can do.

George

Blackhawk
I have Hornady Critical Defense and some Winchester Bonded PXD1's for it and have decided to load up the Hornady Critical Defense for now do to others good reviews with this ammo.. I would opt for .380+P with the Galloway 13lb recoil springs without hesitation if I can find some .380 in +P. The org. recoil springs are 9lbs from the factory.. That will give you almost 9mm power in the LCP.. George

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
rammerjammer said:
revhigh said:
Here we go again ...... :D

REV

Yup, there will never be a consensus on defensive ammo. So I recommend find a major brand that feeds well in your gun and stick with it.

^^^This... but even more importantly, use what YOU shoot the most accurately. It doesn't matter about penetration if you can't even hit the target!!!

Radionicist

Bearcat
I've had good luck with Hornady Critical Defense our of my LCP - it's accurate, and I can usually find it in stock at my local gun stores.

After following up on some of the links in this thread I've come to be a bit more leery of the Hornady Critical Defense round for the LCP and think I will stay with the Speer Gold Dot. I probably will never find out if it really is adequate in a self-defense situation but if I do I will be sure to post the results on this forum.

pyth0n

Buckeye
vito said:
After following up on some of the links in this thread I've come to be a bit more leery of the Hornady Critical Defense round for the LCP and think I will stay with the Speer Gold Dot. I probably will never find out if it really is adequate in a self-defense situation but if I do I will be sure to post the results on this forum.
FWIW, in 2011, LAPD authorized their officers to carry either the LCP or Bodyguard, loaded with Critical Defence ammo, for back up & off duty. Apparently they're satisfied with the combination. I've seen a number of tests by folks using water jugs, wet newspaper, 10% gel w/denim where the 102 gr. GS didn't expand and acted like FMJ. But then so have others. Maybe stick with FMJ? There is no magic bullet. Just make sure your gun functions with it and shoots to point of aim when you do your part. Good luck. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGH7cDFw7c

As soon as they make this in .380............I'll be carrying that for sure.

As well as my 1911 and 12 ga.

Steve

George

Blackhawk
Just looked at the video. I'm on the fence with this stuff at this point. After looking at the video I didn't like the projectiles leaving the test mass whatever they shot it in not just the jell.. They went off on too much of a radical angle for me. I would worry about bystanders well off to the side of your intended target and not just behind it like with regular ammo.. especially if you just wing your intended target.. It it refreshing to see new designs.. I'm sure it would have a place.. George