SR9C Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

phototex

Bearcat
I had thought that my last trip to the range was about as bad as it could get, what with my SR9C failing to feed about 1/3 of the time. Today, I only had 7 out of 30 feed properly. Both large and small magazines, clean and lightly lubed gun, and 3 different brands of high-quallity, US-made ammo. The gun is now on the way to Prescott, AZ for repairs. On the other hand, my new RS22 is a dream come true - what a sweetheart to shoot!

L3g4cY

Bearcat
Mine is on its way back it was failing to reset the trigger they said they replaced basically everything in the frame ie trigger bar,magazine disconnect, trigger I'll have to wait to get the invoice for a complete list but the guy on the phone said they gutted it. Either my gun was way more f'd up than i thought or they weren't sure what the problem was.

On a side note service was exceptional and fast gun arrived at 11am Wednesday and shipped out Thursday afternoon so I'm happy with that

phototex

Bearcat
When I called them yesterday, "Prescott" told me much the same as they told you....LOTS of parts replaced or repaired - including the barrel and slide. They said they fired 50 rounds through it without a problem, so I'm hoping it's OK now. Due to arrive here sometime today. I'll post my range results soon.

L3g4cY

Bearcat
i got mine back monday and every thing looked ok visually, hopefully get it to the range next weekend and see how everything goes, good to know their CS is excellent i'll probably be buying another ruger in the near future.

phototex

Bearcat
Well, mine got back yesterday. According to the paperwork Ruger sent with the pistol, they "replaced the magazine disconnect, striker assembly, trigger bar lift spring, trigger bar reset, and trigger bar. The also repaired the barrel. I wonder what was wrong with it. At any rate, I went to the range with the SR9C today, and am delighted with the gun now. I had no misfeeds or misfires, and shot some of the best groups I've shot in the last 20 years with it. What a sweet firearm to shoot - almost as much fun as my SR22!

Robertpetry

Bearcat
I think I am having the same problem with the new SR9c I just bought on Sunday. This is my first gun so I am not sure but something is definitely wrong.

When I bought it I took it out for a bit and ran 34 rounds through it without any problems. But then today I took it to the range and 8 out of 10 times after firing the subsequent rounds failed to move up into the chamber and the slide locked open as if it was empty. The only recourse was to either release the slide from the slide lock or take out the magazine and then release it.

There was a firearms instructor nearby who was kind enough to take a look. He fired it several times with the same result. Additionally, he said with the mag out it should keep racking and not lock with pulled back. But it locks.

I'm not sure but I think it doesn't see the magazine in the gun. It seems to take a good smack to get either magazine into the gun firmly enough. I tried both magazines and a couple of different 9mm lugar rounds.

Gun shop is closed but should I take it back or call Ruger?

I was hoping I would come here and find a quick fix. Guess not. :(

phototex

Bearcat
Your call, but I'd ship it back to Ruger. They'll pay shipping both ways, fix it, and be nice about it - all at no charge to you. They really need to do something about their QC, though. When you get it back, it should be perfect. Only takes a week, too.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The past few years I think every gunmaker has had way more defects than usual. The unrelenting demand means they are trying to get as many out the door as possible and if there are problems the owner can send it back.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
The past few years I think every gunmaker has had way more defects than usual. The unrelenting demand means they are trying to get as many out the door as possible and if there are problems the owner can send it back.

Exactly! Standard operating procedure in any mass production operation when overwhelmed with orders. Ask anyone who ever worked as an "inspector" [translate as "glorified packer"] in a mass production facility. When orders are caught up the emphasis is on QUALITY control. When way behind on orders the emphasis is on PRODUCTION. Not that they don't want quality, but the emphasis IS on production. Get those orders filled before the customer turn to a competitor!!

Just the facts of life in the real world. :wink:

GKC

Blackhawk
Robertpetry said:
There was a firearms instructor nearby who was kind enough to take a look. He fired it several times with the same result. Additionally, he said with the mag out it should keep racking and not lock with pulled back. But it locks.

That sounds like a problem with the slide lock. However, and please excuse the question, did you/have you cleaned the gun thoroughly? If not, try cleaning and lubricating it. If your problems continue, call Ruger and they will take care of it.

Robertpetry

Bearcat
I did take it down and clean it. Then put some Hoppes 9 on it and put it back together. Same result.

Strangely, unless I really smack the mags in they don't seem to lock. I can push them in pretty hard and then just pull them straight back out without touching the release. Not right...

I called Ruger and with 30 seconds of discussion they gave me an RMA number. On its way now.

GKC

Blackhawk
Robertpetry said:
I did take it down and clean it. Then put some Hoppes 9 on it and put it back together. Same result.

Strangely, unless I really smack the mags in they don't seem to lock. I can push them in pretty hard and then just pull them straight back out without touching the release. Not right...

I called Ruger and with 30 seconds of discussion they gave me an RMA number. On its way now.

Sounds like a problem with the magazine catch, perhaps...but Ruger will fix you up. Be sure to let us know what it was.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
This problem is a well known (recent?) problem with the slide lock spring end having come adrift from its anchoring point. Some folks on the other Ruger forum have some good pictures of what is happening.

The fix is either a trip back to Ruger or a parts replacement at your house after the send you the part.

I will find and post the link to the pictures or the pictures themselves.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Here is a picture of the spring end after it has popped out from under the tab that holds it in place.

This is not my picture - I borrowed it from the other Ruger Forum

Rabon

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Those are the companies I avoid like the plague.

Latest posts