Owning a non CA approved Ruger auto, in California

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
If someone lives in Arizona, buys a non CA approved Ruger auto--legally, and then takes it with him when he moves to CA, can he continue to posses it legally? Does he have to declare it to local LE or something?

The "Truth About Guns" is reporting Ruger will allow all their autos to drop off the CA approved list.

roylt

Hunter
I would call some place in CA to see what they say. Some gun laws are weird to me but none of my guns are worth risking prison time. Do it the legal way.

Maybe you are "grand fathered" in some how?

groberts

Single-Sixer
The short answer is no. If you have one in CA and it loses its approval that's ok. However, what the approval does is control what can be brought into the state, either for sale or for personal use. If it is not approved, even if it had been for years, you cannot "import" it into the state.
One question, why would anyone in their right mind move into the state of California?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
wolfee said:
If someone lives in Arizona, buys a non CA approved Ruger auto--legally, and then takes it with him when he moves to CA, can he continue to posses it legally? Does he have to declare it to local LE or something?

Hi,

The best place to get your answer is the CA Attorney General's office--you can start here:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

There are SOME cases where non-approved guns can be brought into CA, as long as they're registered w/ DOJ. As a general rule, CA's firearms are NOT "registered" in the strict sense, but there are certain situations where they are. Some "black rifles" have been registered under various "assault weapons" laws, and it's my understanding any handgun brought into the State by a new resident must be.

And there are certain situations where a CA resident can bring in "unapproved" handguns in cooperation w/ DOJ. A buddy was able to do that a couple of years ago when his Dad passed. Dad lived in FL, and had many firearms legal in FL but banned one way or another in CA. My buddy has to leave some of them in FL w/ his Mom--can't bring 'em in any legal way--but WAS able to bring at least one unapproved handgun in, classified as an "inheritance." He had to register it w/ DOJ to do so, but now has the only CA-legal "Judge" I'm aware of!

Anyway, the Att'y Gen'l's office has a "Contact Us" link somewhere on their site, and I'd suggest you ask them directly, giving specifics when appropriate. They've been good about returning calls when I've done that in the past. Our current AG is pretty anti-gun, but she's an elected official who won't be there as long as some of her staff, and the long-termers DO seem to know their stuff!

Good luck!

Rick C

wolfee

Blackhawk
Thanks. My question is asked from curiousity, not because I am being banished to CA. Although, it wouldn't be much worse than where I am now--Colorado. The politicians here seem hell bent on proving they can out California California.

clbshooter

Single-Sixer
Spend some on http://www.Calguns.net. Some areas of Ca. are worse than others. I have lived in Socal for almost 5 years and have my home for sale and leaving the state. If you join Calguns and look around you will see the hand writing is on the wall.

Terry T

Buckeye
It's my understanding that if you move to Ca. you may bring your personal 'normal' guns with you. You are required to register them when you become a Ca. resident.
Non 'normal' guns are Class III, "assault" rifles, and 'short barreled shotguns' like the Judge and the 45/410 derringers. I'm very surprised to hear that someone was able to bring in a Judge.
You might have some issue with high cap mags (over 10 rounds). (Best to have some 10 rd. mags for use and hide the high caps for the Zombie Apocalypse). The 'grandfather' clause on the high caps probably doesn't apply to a new resident.
Bringing in 'off list' guns for resale is a different issue and not advised.
As suggested, the Ca. DOJ web site is a good reference.
Ca. has a lot to offer. Firearms freedom is just not one of them. Getting much worse now with the mico-stamping debacle unfolding.
Terry T