SR40 15 Round Magazine Adapter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
I CC with a SR40c and I have a couple of backup 15 round magazines for it in a side mag holder. What I experience is that the Magazine Adapter that is used for the extended 15 round mag can become loose and slide down the mag when it is inverted. My question is what can I use to secure the adapter to the mag so I don't have to worry about it's placement if I have to speed reload a mag. I want to be able to blind reload without having to ensure that the adapter is where it should be when I do.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Try calling Ruger and see if they will replace. You could also try an boring on the maag body.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I use to put a small strip of the white medical tape on the flat rear side of the mag and then slid the adapter over that and it stayed in place. I did that untill I bought a full size SR9 for competition shooting and have just regulated all 17 rd mags to my SR9 and all my short 10rd mags for my SR9c. I carry the "C" everyday and my backup mag is 10 rnd. I know spare mags are expensive but sometimes CDNN will have them for $29 from time to time.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
papaSR9 said:
My question is what can I use to secure the adapter to the mag so I don't have to worry about it's placement if I have to speed reload a mag..

Easy fix! Get some Velcro tape [or trim a wider piece down to] the same width as the back of the magazine. Cut a short piece of the "hairy" Velcro to the same length as the height of the adapter. Now remove [or slide the adapter up on the mag out of the way] the adapter and stick the hairy piece of Velcro onto the back side [the part next to the grip's back strap] of the magazine.

Now carefully work the adapter down over the Velcro and securely against the floor plate of the mag!

Almost as secure as if it had been welded on there! But anytime you want to remove it for any reason ... no problem! You've permanently modified absolutely nothing!

Try it ... you'll love it! ;^)

Blackhawk30

Single-Sixer
Is there a set screw on the bottom of the adapter?if there is,simply tighten gently.I have these adapters for some Glock mags and they require the adapter to be tightened rarely.

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
The design of the mag adapter is such that it uses tension to keep it in place but since there is nothing structurally built in and it is essentially a plastic, squared off oval, it can flex out of shape and loose the tension.

I can take it off and press on the long sides of the adapter to re-tension it but it will eventually become loose again. I have enough backup 15rnd magazines to having a two of them modified and dedicated for the 40c.. I will also contact Ruger directly and see if they recognize this as a design flaw and see if they have any other recommendations. I appreciate the input from the people who have used the adapter and to what workarounds they have found.

Mike J

Hunter
Papa I have not actually tried this but & I probably would not if I were concerned about being able to get the adapter back off. Back when I used to have a street bike when my handgrip came off the handlebar I was told to spray the handlebar down with hair spray. Then quickly (while the hairspray is still wet) slide the grip back on. If you wouldn't mind it being stuck from now on I believe the same thing would probably work with your magazine adapter but I have not actually tried it so understand doing this would be at your on risk.