ZQ ammo, any thoughts or opinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Taterman

Buckeye
I haven't bought any 9mm in quite a while and my wife got the Walmart at 7:00 today to catch the shipment arriving. All they had was ZQ and I'm not familiar with it. She ended up buying 2 boxes of 50 for her SR9 and a women's shooting league she starts on Wednesday.
Any opinions on this ammo?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Well I have heard of this. I know that it is Turkish in origin. Most seem to think it is overpriced for what it is. Some call it garbage ammo. But some call almost anything garbage ammo unless it's the brand they personally prefer. So I dunno. I say burn it and let her tells us what she thinks.

I suspect its fine despite some comments otherwise.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Taterman said:
Thanks Rei40c,
It was only $21.xx for a box of 50 so at least it was cheap.

I'd probably buy at that price too. I'm still so shocked to see 9mm around anywhere I almost don't care anymore if its premium. Finding 124 grains still tough, I really like that weight but apparently so does everyone else.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
$21 a box for 50. Here in South Carolina, you can get the Federal 115 grain for $15 a box. They don't have it in stock consistently right now, but they are on the shelf from time to time.

Taterman

Buckeye
I'm in Illinois and ammo is REALLY hard to find. I guess it isn't really cheap as much as I just just happy to get some.

BradB

Bearcat
That must just be in the high rent district. Here in the land of low pay, Wally World sells Winchester white box FMJ for $26.67 per 100 rds. After tax you're at ~ 29 cents a round and that's about what I pay if I mail order. Always try to get the shipping free. Over paying doesn't matter as much as having some ammo on hand so you don't have to throw rocks.

6gun

Hunter
Clovishound said:
$21 a box for 50. Here in South Carolina, you can get the Federal 115 grain for $15 a box. They don't have it in stock consistently right now, but they are on the shelf from time to time.

My kid brought home 8 boxes of 50 Federal 115gr. the other day he paid $12.50 each and he was pissed off said they use to only cost him $9.99

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
If you are able to buy on-line, check out "Freedom Munitions". They have great reman ammo and new and if they have the "Blaster" ammo even better deal. I have shot a few thousand rounds of it 9mm and 45 and it has been great ammo. They run $11 to $14 a box for 9mm usually.

Taterman

Buckeye
Update of the ZQ ammo. My wife went through a box of 50 last night and had no issues (with an SR9). I can't tell how clean they shot because she shot more of a different brand afterward.
I originally thought the price was decent because I remembered paying $20 or so in the past, but that had been for a box of 100 not 50. Not a good price at all for only 50.

Taterman

Buckeye
Ruger Nut10 said:
If you are able to buy on-line, check out "Freedom Munitions". They have great reman ammo and new and if they have the "Blaster" ammo even better deal. I have shot a few thousand rounds of it 9mm and 45 and it has been great ammo. They run $11 to $14 a box for 9mm usually.

I'm in Illinois so I doubt I can buy online but I'll check into that. Thanks.

Edit: Just checked, all sizes of Blaster ammo is sold out.

Considering the supply problems with most ammo now, retailers are going to extremes to put "something" on the shelves. I seriously doubt Wally is going to do much testing to determine the safety or quality of ammo. After some serious problems relating to European steel cased 9mm some years ago, I'll not be buying anymore of that crap. There may also be some repackaged military surplus showing up which is even worse-either corrosive primers or super hot submachinegun ammo. Just my opinion/thoughts.