sr9c mag release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eo1bart

Bearcat
I was checking out my Sr9c that I bought yesterday. I noticed that I can dry fire it with or without the magazine inserted.
I thought this had a mag release that prevented firing when the mag was not in the pistol?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
No, the magazine safety in the SR series does not prevent you from pulling the trigger and getting a "click". It does keep the striker from reaching the primer so the gun won't fire even though you hear something happen. Since it interrupts the striker, repeated dry firing without a magazine will eventually damage the striker which is why Ruger recommends against dry firing without an empty magazine in place.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Stop that practice. The striker blocker is doing its job with the magazine out. I guess it can cause damage, but I dry fired my new SR9 for a year without a mag in place before reading the manual. That was 4 years ago and thousands of rounds ago. I wonder if any SR owners have actually damaged the striker assembly this way?

eo1bart

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
No, the magazine safety in the SR series does not prevent you from pulling the trigger and getting a "click". It does keep the striker from reaching the primer so the gun won't fire even though you hear something happen. Since it interrupts the striker, repeated dry firing without a magazine will eventually damage the striker which is why Ruger recommends against dry firing without an empty magazine in place.

Ok thanks for the info. I'm a 1911/Browning HP type guy so I'm still learning the ins and outs of the the striker fire pistol.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Conn AK said:
Stop that practice. The striker blocker is doing its job with the magazine out. I guess it can cause damage, but I dry fired my new SR9 for a year without a mag in place before reading the manual. That was 4 years ago and thousands of rounds ago. I wonder if any SR owners have actually damaged the striker assembly this way?

The guy behind the counter did it to mine before buying while showing me the trigger. :lol: I guess he didn't know either. I've done it maybe 10 times myself but have stopped. I have a feeling it's one of those things you could probably do a 100 times without issue, but why take the chance? It's not so difficult to keep an empty mag around for me.