Looking For A New Truck Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I'm looking to buy a different pistol for my truck gun. I'd be buying a used one and hopefully fairly cheap in the event of theft. I'm looking real hard at a used Ruger P model in either 9mm or 45 acp. I like the P90 and the P89 so far. Can anyone here give me some real world experience and insight with either of these two or perhaps another P Series model (with the poly frames) I should look at. I'm leaning toward a 45 as I load for it, but a 9mm would likely serve the purpose as well. Thanks for any help.

The Preacher

haymaker

Single-Sixer
A P90 would be an excellent choice. Mine has a very smooth trigger both DA and SA and has been very reliable. Just keep it cleaned and lubed. It's a little bulky compared to other guns for only having a 7 or 8 round capacity but keep a couple of extra mags with it. For a truck gun I like having a DA/SA with hammer drop safety. I leave it loaded with safety on. That way, if some nimrod steals it, it might take him a while to figure out how to make it work. I bought my P90 new in the mid 90's for $325. I don't know what used ones are going for now. Good luck.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Preacher ... Frankly all of the P Series pistols are well built, rugged, reliable, more accurate than they're given credit for, and would likely meet the need that you have expressed. Personally I have the P95 (over 13,500 rounds with no failures) and the P345 (over 4,000 rounds with only 2 FTEs during the 1st 50). It's hard to go wrong with a P Series pistol IMHO.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
For poly frames, in 9 mm, a P-95 for .45 Auto, a P345. Both out of production but both very reliable and excellent choices.

For metal frames, in 9 mm a P-89 and in .45 Auto, a P90. Again, both ar out of production.

For current striker-fired poly pistols, the SR 9 or SR45 are modestly priced, very reliable and have a manual safety.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Should be able to score a used S&W Sigma for under $200. The perfect trunk gun. Trigger sucks but it always goes bang. Bought a used SW40VE for $189 locally.

roylt

Hunter
I like the P-guns a lot. I like the all metal frame units more just because. No real reason. If you want something that will hold up year round, I suggest a poly frame stainless unit. It would hold off rust the best. Stainless mags too.
So 95 would be easiest as it was just discontinued.

Good luck,

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info folks; guess I'll just look for a used P90 at a good price. Sounds to be what I'm looking for and a rock solid performer. Again, thanks much.

The Preacher

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I don't think that you'll go wrong with any of the P series. They are a little bigger and blockier than other designs but run like champs.

I only have personal experience with my P90 but it is a great gun that has been reliable as all get out and is more accurate than it should be at its price point.

groberts

Single-Sixer
If by "truck gun" you mean one that stays in the truck and is subjected to all kinds of weather and dirt why not get a 357 revolver? It is certainly a lot more reliable, especially for a used one.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Well, to be honest with you that's now in the mix too. I've got a wife who really isn't a "shooter" and the concept of just "pulling the trigger" has much merit. Right now there's an old S&W 36 driving with us. I'd love to replace it with a 3" Speed Six 357 but even beaters seem to push $400. I'm still considering things as very often the "truck gun" is carried concealed. Tough decision.

The Preacher

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
You want a cheap used handgun because it might get stolen. Is this a big problem? Maybe not leave the gun in the truck and broaden the field of choices? I prefer used handguns for a couple of reasons but getting stolen isn't one of them.

Specs

Single-Sixer
Actually, (gasp,shudder) a Hipoint could work out OK. I don't own one, but I hear that they are cheap and reliable, and a thief would probably just pass it by.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I've pretty much narrowed it down to a P95. While I didn't really want to go 9mm (I'm a 45 guy) with the simplicity of the decock/DA/SA and a 15 round capacity I think that's the way I'll go...Now to find one at a decent price! Again I thank you all for your thoughts.

The Preacher

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
P95 is a good way to go, there are still some used ones around at reasonable price and they are accurate and dependable. Don't think i have ever had any kind of a problem with the P95 they just keep on shooting.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
Preacher,
Just wondering did you find a P95? I've carried my P95 with me in the truck for a couple of years now, CC and in the seat beside me. I have two Glocks, a Gen 4 19 and a Gen 2.5 27, fine handguns, but my P95 still rides with me. If you find one buy it.

Joe

GKC

Blackhawk
Personally, I prefer to buy new guns. You can still find new P95s in the gun shops...at least around here they still have them. I saw a new one the other day in my LGS for $350.

Another pistol I'd recommend is the SD9VE. It's regularly priced at Academy Sports for $319. It's a very good gun, and extremely reliable...the trigger on it is about 8 pounds, which is less than the DA pull on many revolvers I've owned. The SIGs that I have owned all had a DA pull of 10 pounds. The Ruger P95 I had also had a heavy DA pull, but the SA pull on all these guns was very nice. There are spring kits (Apex Tactical) that reduce the pull by a couple of pounds, if you are so inclined.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
wvjoetc said:
Preacher,
Just wondering did you find a P95? I've carried my P95 with me in the truck for a couple of years now, CC and in the seat beside me. I have two Glocks, a Gen 4 19 and a Gen 2.5 27, fine handguns, but my P95 still rides with me. If you find one buy it.

Joe

Yep. I found a P95PR Stainless like new with box and everything in it. I really wanted a blued P95 but I couldn't find one at a decent price. (Heck I may even keep looking for a blued model as my son would love one of these and the price is right!) This one was from a private sale for $315. I maybe could have waited and found one cheaper but this thing really is like new. Feels great in the hand and I'm chomp'n at the bit to wring it out. I only shot 3 rounds out of it because the previous owner wanted me to "try it". I ordered an El Paso Saddlery Threepersons for it and two extra magazines (Factory Ruger) from Midway and picked up some Federal 124 gr. HST Hpts. I plan on picking up a couple of hundred 124 gr. FMJ's or lead RN and handload some range rounds. When the weather clears I'll take it out to give it a proper shake down cruise. They are sweet pistols! It's a shame Ruger axed them.

The Preacher