SR9c trigger safety drag, is this normal? Vid & picts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lock-N-Load

Bearcat
Long time gun owner, shooter, many brand user, but new to Ruger pistols. I bought 2 SR9c for the holidays - 1 for me and 1 for the wife. Put +1000 rounds down range combined already and generally like the pistol. Added mepro's on hers, I found a laserlyte rear sight & hi-viz front for mine, etc.

However, I notice one small thing that does not seem right. It seems like the tolerance is off on the safety trigger. When you pull the trigger, the safety trigger pivots on it's pivot as it retracts into the trigger BUT before it retracts into the trigger is scrapes across the frame enough so you feel the resistance, then a bit of a pop as the safety trigger slides off the frame and then clears the frame and retracts into the trigger. So, on firing, there is this issue of a gritty drag as the trigger safety drags across the frame, pop as it clears the frame and retracts, and then you can clean pull. Certainly feels odd and messes with a clean pull.

Is this normal for other SR9c users? It seems not to me. I understand the trigger safety also acts as a drop safety, but it seems the tolerance should be such that - as my other pistols w/ similar feature - that the trigger safety can clear the frame of pistol without grinding against it as it retracts into the trigger. No need to hit the frame as it pivots.

attachment.php

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Sorry to say I don't think this is normal. I just took out my 40c and watched it closely. At no time whatsoever did the safety drag on the frame if I'm understanding the problem correctly. I did it several times, I even tried to force it to happen as described and could not.

Does this happen on both guns? Mine would probably be called an older one as I got it almost as soon as it hit the shelves. I know there are always constantly evolving small changes in later versions of all guns.

If you decide it needs to go back Ruger is great with customer service and you can expect a grade A experience. Mine's had to go back once. It was painless and free and only took about 10 days.

Lock-N-Load

Bearcat
Yes, happens on both.

I just called them, they said this is "normal". Really? The guy even went and got one and tested it.

I find that very, very hard to believe. They claimed it happens as that is part of the drop safety function of the trigger safety. But that makes no sense. The drop safety function, also part of the trigger safety, 2 different things technically, should still be able to clear the pistol frame and ONLY need to come in contact with the frame if the weapon is dropped and the trigger falls back that far to hit the frame and stop the weapon from firing. But to hit the frame of the weapon when pulled back? Come on.

I can stop it from happening if I pull the trigger out a tad farther than it seems to reset, then pull nice and light on the trigger/trigger safety. But after the first shot, it will do it every time.

Maybe a video is needed to demonstrate for those that cannot envision.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Wow, um... I guess I'm glad it's not "normal" on mine then?
If ya could get a vid of it I'd be interested to see. It's possible he's correct it's also possible I'm not understanding.

Lock-N-Load

Bearcat
check out this video on Dropbox. Can you see it.

Turn up the volume and you will hear the audible click as the trigger safety drags across the frame. Then notice how I can push back out the trigger just a hair, no click as no drag, but after a few pulls the trigger and trigger safety come back close enough to the frame to start to drag and click again.

This cannot be right. Vid link below. Turn up your speakers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvbwpu4e866mnu8/2014-01-10 09.31.32.mp4

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Absolutely is not happening with my 40c. I get a clean break and no weird clicking, no resistance.
Granted they are different guns, the 9c and 40c in some ways I suppose. Something's clearly grinding in there but I couldn't tell you what I'm no expert.

It's your gun but I'd call back and try to make them take it. Maybe wait an hour and hope for someone else on the phone. I'd put a note in the box describing the problem. Maybe a link to the vid?

That sucks, the SR's have an okay trigger it's not great I think, but if mine did this I'd consider it a lot worse in terms of shootability.

Lock-N-Load

Bearcat
I know exactly what is grinding.

The rear nub of the pivoting safety trigger hits the frame. Easy to see in person, not on the vid. I "could" sand down the nub a bit to make it clear, but WTF huh?

They didn't say they wouldn't take it, they said they would. But 2 brand new guns. And to say this is normal? No way.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Lock-N-Load said:
I "could" sand down the nub a bit to make it clear, but WTF huh?

I was thinkin the same thing, or even shoot it a few 100 rounds but with this polymer that may not do anything. You might have a better chance of wearing down steel.

Ah yeah I see it. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything to take an ever so slight amount off.

timboy

Bearcat
I just checked my sr9c and there is atleast 1/16" clearance at the closest point during travel.

Lock-N-Load

Bearcat
Nh Rugerman said:
Does it do it no matter where your finger is located on the trigger when pulled?

Just curious.

yes.

As you can see, only way it does not do it is if you slightly push it out a bit first to create a slight bit of extra clearance. But, after 2-3-4 pulls, as you can see, it starts to rub again. Almost like it does not reset back to it's fullest out position after each pull. I suspect that is the culprit in some way. Again, weapons are cleaned and lubed. They came this way out of the box and I noticed it even more when actually shooting.

This becomes even clearer if you are actually shooting and not trying to baby it. Just pull trigger, pull trigger, pull trigger it will rub each time.

plus - no one should really ever have to mentally concern themselves with a trigger pull of finger placement at that level. Pul straight on, pull a little to the side, no matter.. it will hit and drag,

Lock-N-Load

Bearcat
Thier main gun tech saw the video and thinks it seems "normal" - which is crazy to me - but would like me to send it in. So, I plan to. And then, same with my wifes.

Not to good of a start of a relationship with Ruger for me :( 2 problem triggers on 2 different pistols of the same model from 2 different parts of the country on 2 different orders.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Good to hear the update. What concerns me about the Ruger response of it being normal makes me wonder if it is normal for a large number of guns they have produced recently. Which would indicate to me a major problem. I don't know this to be true, but the thought ran through my mind.

It's often difficult being the one who declares something a "problem". What if 100,000 guns are in this condition? It's not hard to see what kinds of negative things that would cause for any company.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
My SR9c, purchased in Feb 2010, does not do this under normal cycling.

However, if I "reset" the trigger by just pushing the trigger forward, it is not fully reset and the inner trigger rubs against the frame.

I am thinking maybe you have a problem with the trigger bar (part #40). The tab that engages the striker blocker (part #17) gets pushed forward a little (about 1/16") by the striker blocker when the piece is in battery. That increases the clearance between the inner trigger and the frame. If I dry fire, the trigger functions normally. If I just push the trigger forward, I can hear and feel the trigger bar reset, but the trigger is not all the way forward and the inner trigger rubs. If I then pull the slide to the rear a little and put it back in battery, the trigger jumps forward a bit and functions normally.

I suspect that tab on the trigger bar is supposed to be forward of the striker blocker and the striker blocker pushes the trigger bar all the way forward. When I "manually reset" the trigger, I think that tab is sitting on the striker blocker.

You can see what I am talking about by doing this:
  1. Field stripping your pistol
  2. Raise the ejector
  3. Push the trigger bar forward until the trigger bar reset "clicks"
  4. Release the trigger bar and pull the trigger. Note the inner trigger rubbing against the frame.
  5. Reset the trigger bar and keep pushing the trigger bar forward as far as it will go. On mine, it will travel about 1/16" forward for the point where it clicks.
  6. Press on the inner trigger and note if there is clearance between it and the frame

edited to add:
If you haven't already sent it off, of course.