Mark I air pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Valman

Bearcat
I've owned Ruger Mark I and 2 autos, but the other day I found something I couldn't pass up -- a Ruger Mark I air pistol, made in China under license to SR, Inc. It's not listed in Wilson's book Ruger and His Guns so I'm asking for details here (and in the revolver section). It's a clumsy looking .177 caliber, spring-piston job with plastic grip section and a cylindrical steel receiver grooved for scope mount. this one had a Bushnell Banner 2.5 rifle scope mounted way back, making it useful only for two-handed bench shooting. The trigger pull is terrible. The seller said it originally sold with some kind of device to go around the barrel for pumping -- the big front sight makes cocking difficult without using a pad or wearing a glove. Can anyone tell me when it was made and what the cocking device looks like? Pix would be nice, but I'm hopeless on that score.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'd take that nice Bushnell Banner scope off of it. The spring-action airgun will beat it to death. It's not made for 2-way recoil.

Valman

Bearcat
Oh, yes.I should have said that the scope came off right away, for the reason you cite. An air gun's recoil is death to cheap scopes. I also realize that the Mk I's barrel has four grooves on it that might be designed to take a coking assist of some sort. AM I right?

timboy

Bearcat
I received one as a Christmas present,yes it comes with a cocking assist that silides over the front of the barrel.
I was originally given a benjamin nitro piston pistol but I exchanged it for the ruger because the sights were horrible on it.
Haven't shot it much other than sighting it in but it seems like a great little pellet gun.