New LCP (My second try at this)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
My first LCP purchased about 2 years ago, was OK but not fantastic. Sold it to a young couple who wanted it more than I did.

Today I bought a new one with the enhancements on it (ie., sights and better trigger). Looks like it will work real good.

Did notice the magazines (purchased a 2nd 6 shot mag from the dealer) seemed a little hard to snap in place. Even sanded down the upper part of the base plate thinking it was too thick to let the mag insert properly. Finally found that by pushing the mag base forward as I was inserting it, it clicked into place with authority. I also noticed that with a least one round in it, it also clicked into place with no problem.

Did notice that both the inner and outer recoil springs are the same diameter on both ends. Seems that there is no longer a bell shaped inner spring that must be inserted toward the muzzle as my old one was and as the instruction book still states is needed. Will call Ruger tomorrow just to clarify this.

Really like the new trigger, but it is not as smooth as the Taurus TCP which I was going to pick up and try. (Really had to cringe about buying a Taurus though.)

The LCP was listed for $299 at my dealer which I thought was a good price.

Did notice a little "burring" on the forward end of the guide rod which I will also ask Ruger about tomorrow. Forgot that these were steel (thought I remembered my original LCP as being polymer).

Been fooling around with my neat little P-32, a Seecamp LWS32, a .25NAA Guardian, all loaded with what I thought would be a better winter time (heavy clothing time) carry ammo.

Finally thought, what the heck, the LCP is actually lighter than my Seecamp and Guardian, and probably more powerful than my .32 ACP P-32.

Seems like it likes all my HP defese ammo as well as Winchester flat point ammo, when cycling by hand. We will see at the range.

Trooper Joe

I just shoot them. If a problem, then I tear them down- just me. Lazy I guess. My LCP has done what I required of it-euthanized a car struck hawg. I have taken to carrying FMJ for penetration in the winter months. I also have a P-32, that I actually like better (last shot slide holds open). I was having difficulty finding .32 ACP, but .380 was available. I paid $320 OTD 1 year ago. Good luck!
gramps

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Called Ruger and sure enough, the new LCP's no longer use a belled recoil spring. They are the same diameter on both end for both springs. The tech also said my steel guide rod probably had a scratch or something only from assembly. If there is any question, they will just send me a new one.

He did recommend that I always use a snap cap when dry firing (this is the same warning the KelTec gives on their P-32). He also cautioned about completely pushing in the magazine release when removing the magazine. If you let the release drag on the magazine body as you are removing it, it will scratch the magazine and/or damage the catch/release.

Looking forward to the test shooting of this so I can replace my P-32 for winter. I notice one poster likes the Winchester flat point ammo. I like this stuff also even though some .380's don't. If it shoots OK in my new LCP, I think I will carry that instead of the Hornady CD or other "defense" ammo. (I lucked out and have about 300 rounds of this flat point stuff.)

Was nice talking to the Ruger tech rep. Sort of like being home again with a new Ruger (I do have a number of other Rugers so never really left the family).

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Just got back from the range with my new LCP. All is well as far as functioning. The only hiccup was one flat nose out of 15. It fed ball and Hornady Critical Defense perfectly.

Since the only issue was with one flat nose round, I loaded it up with Hornady Critical Defense (both magazines).

Do have one concern and I have an email in to the head technician at Ruger in Arizona. The recoil spring guide rod seems really worn and chewed up (was some slight evidence of this when the gun was new and unfired by me).

Anyone shed any light on this? Both springs and the slide guide rod hole area seem OK.

Trooper Joe

George

Blackhawk
Joe,
Hello! Sorry your having some issues with your new model LCP. I know the does not say to do this but I always but a drop of oil on the guide rod if its metal. You may want to do the same. If I was you I would emery cloth that out then buff it to polish it up you can put a finish on it with some cold blueing or what ever after that.. Or better yet get a Galloway Stainless guide rode for it it's cheap, $15.00 http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/ Also most importent is to clean up and the guide rod chanle and I would ever so lightly crown each side of it so it's not as sharp as I think that is the cause of your damage.. Hard to tell of course without seeing the gun.. Galloway makes steller parts and are great to deal with! Good people! George

Blackhawk30

Single-Sixer
I got a new one too.For the better sights and trigger pull.Did ya notice the mags are now made in the usa?Old mags have a high polish and are made in Italy.New usa mags have a matte finish.They also come with the old style orange sticker on the side.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
guide rod looks like someone cranked on it with vice grips. imo someone probably did that out of the gun. its cosmetic looking though so probably would never be a issue, id do one of the things George said as far as cleaning up that one or replacing it.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Z1D2 said:
Whoa that guide rod looks bad

Installed a Galloway stainless guide rod and the Wolff 13# spring package. Works perfect with both magazines and all kinds of ammo. No marks whatsoever on the guide rod.

I think the marring of the stock guide rod (and by the way, I checked about 5 new LCP's at a local dealer and they all had gouging on them like mine did when it was new) is due to the fact that Ruger is no longer using the "belled" inner recoil spring.

I am just going to use my LCP the way it is with the Galloway guide rod and Wolff springs and let my contact at Ruger know about it.

Trooper Joe

George

Blackhawk
Joe,
Glad you got the guide rod and springs! Ifi I was you after every range trip at first after every few shots look close at the guide rod so you can catch it if it's starting again.. I don't think the gouges would be caused by the springs. If it continues cleanup smooth up and polish the slide where the guide rod goes through and like I said deburr and take the sharp square edge off of that guide rod hole too.. Hopefully all will be well and you won't have to deal with this anymore.. Good luck!. George

toysoldier

Hunter
gramps said:
My LCP has done what I required of it-euthanized a car struck hawg. I have taken to carrying FMJ for penetration in the winter months. gramps

I can testify that an LCP can take out an armadillo. I always carry FMJ---too many fat bad guys.

exavid

Hunter
My two year old LCP is still working just fine, it has had quite a few rounds fired through it, mostly different hand loads since I've experimented with different bullets and powder loads. For carry I load Hornady Critical Defense rounds in both my LCP and LC9. I'll carry my favorite handloads in the spare magazine but prefer the Hornady CD for the initial magazine. While I carry my LC9 most often the LCP is a great back up gun or great for deep concealment.

George

Blackhawk
I think in our day and age a lot of people mix up .32ACP and .380 ACP. 32ACP being the real anemic mouse gun round. I have seen FMJ and some good JHP's go through multi lairs of 3/4" plywood even with HP's it's a very good close self defense round. Years ago they use to refer to it as .380ACP high power! I think while having a extra mag with some FMJ is a good idea for the average Home defense or close quarters fight any good brand name HP would offer good penetration without much chance of shoot through with a solid hit.. That's my biggest fear is a secondary hit on a innocent bystander. I use Hornady Critical defense in .380's also.. But would not hesitate to use any good brand name ammo that is reliable in my gun. I also like Winchester PXD1's bonded in .380.. Just my take on it. George

Z1D2

Bearcat
I don't know penetration well but 380 had killed some rattle snakes.