Sig P290RS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I fondled one at LGS for a considerable amount of time. I was there to compare the 290 to the 938. I ended up with the 938 because I didn't feel the 290 was suitable for pocket carry. It felt bulky and heavy compared to 938.
I own DAO pistols, but didn't like the trigger on 290.......loved the 938 trigger!

I frequent the Sig forum and have not read about any reliability issues, so if you like the feel of the gun I think you'll be ok.

eveled

Hawkeye
I know it is a different model, but I have the P250C, in .45acp. I love it, it is an awesome gun for somebody who likes true double action triggers.

It shoots like a big flat revolver, but carrys like an auto.

From what I have seen you cannot go wrong with a Sig. Good luck, Ed.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Sold my P290. VERY hard to shoot accurately. Shaped like a square. Useless for me w/o the extended mag.
Bought a LC9 and sold it for the same reason. Plus I hate the location of the mag release. Was always dropping mags when you didn't want to.

Carry my 9mm S&W Shield every day. Love it!

HadEmAll

Bearcat
I bought one. It's a great little handgun. The DAO is very easy to learn. The fact that it comes with night sights already installed is a plus. I've had zero malfunctions with a variety of FMJ and JHP ammunition.

Of the Beretta Nano, the Kahr PM9, and the Sig P290RS, the P290RS is the smallest of the three by a smidgen, but also the heaviest.

I carry my P290RS, and my Nano, with Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ JHPs.

I don't pocket carry it, or the Nano. Neither of them come out of my pockets as slick as my LCR or LCP.

When I carry it, which is often, I use a small Tommy's gunpack, or the neat little paddle holster it came with.

I've never carried it with the laser it came with.

There are some good YouTube videos on the P290RS.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Horrible trigger on the one I tested. It was new though. I'm sure it would improve some. I doubt it would improve enough to be acceptable to me. Also the gun is too heavy for it's size. It would be like a little lead ingot in you pocket, IMHO.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
eveled said:
This thread is 4 months old. I think Hittman lost interest. Ed
You're probably right. I didn't notice that. However, these old threads are still valuable to others who are looking to make a similar decision. I've read hundreds (thousands?) of old threads over the years that helped me learn what I wanted. :mrgreen:

kmckinnon

Bearcat
When I moved to Florida I found I needed a smaller pistol for EDC in light dress. I rented and tried a number of "pocket" pistols before purchasing a Kahr CW380. The Kahr was a very good gun and easy to carry. However, the scarcity and price of 380 ACP ammo made it costly to stay proficient/practice with the gun.

A Ruger SR9c had been my EDC until my move so when my wife purchased a 9mm I decided to standardize on that calibire. The Kahr was traded in on a Sig P290RS. So far I am happy with my choice. While heavier than the Kahr the Sig has been more accurate and much more affordable to practice with.

cyphertext

Bearcat
I recently purchased the P290RS to replace a Kel Tec PF9. I really like the Sig. The trigger pull on mine is long, but it is smooth... unlike my Kel Tec. A lot of people say the Sig is too thick, but it is only 1.1" at the widest point. It looks like it is chunky, but I think that is just because it is so short, both length and height. Many say it is too heavy as well, but it is only 1.5 oz heavier than the S&W Shield.

IMO, if you are looking for a solid 9mm that is pocketable, give the Sig a look.