ruger p94 from newbie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rosco

Bearcat
First post... Lurked a long time. Got an springfield xdm 3.8 in 9mm last fall... After reading on this forum for a long time I dusted off my old p94 and got a new set of Hogue grips. I hadn't shot 10 rounds through it in 12 years. With the new grips I shot it. It feels perfect. Immediately I've made up my mind that my wife will get the xdm when we do the cc class. My brother also has the p94. He bought one during the Clinton administration thinking guns would be a good investment in anti-gun climate. He has never shot the gun - new in box... as I said it's an investment for him. After shooting with the Hogue grips I told him to get it out of the box and start shooting his baby. Was this bad advice? Do you think the p94 will ever appreciate enough to justify depriving yourself of the joy of shooting it with Hogue grips? Opinions?

dwd

Single-Sixer
I don't think that the p94 will ever reach the collector status, too many of them made. Sure an unfired one will always be worth more but not much. But what do I know. I just don't believe in having a gun, especially a work horse like a Ruger, that you can't use.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Like the previous posters, I doubt any of the P series guns will ever make real collector status. Too many of them and many of them and many have not been shot much. I think they are more like the old Savage 340's and it's cousins. They are wonderful work horse guns. Accurate, tough and nicely made, but will never get any real collector value. Of course I said the same thing about the Savage 24's and they just keep creeping up in value, but that will probably not keep happening as we old boomers get too old to buy them.
Bfly

welder

Buckeye
I found an unfired P94 with no box/papers at Bud,s a couple years back and have fired it a plenty. Most likely a new one would only be appreciated to any greater degree by a P nut like myself. They were not selling well and so they were dropped from the catalog but there are still many of us who would jump at one if the price was in line.

I do not think they will ever become collectors items, much like a Glock in that regard. Just a work horse of a gun and still a bunch out there like the one you describe.