Sr9c trigger not resetting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

L3g4cY

Bearcat
Ok so took my gun out for the third time today. The day I bought it ran about 400 rounds no problem I don't think I had a single problem. Had a friend who has 3000 rounds through his sr9 show me how to break it down and clean it. Took it to the range a couple weeks ago and had some tulammo brass max I got cheap at walmart for me and my brother to shoot. Had problems right away some fail to feeds while he was shooting which I believe was him because once he tightened up his grip a bit that went away.

The gun would fire fine on first round then every couple or even every round the trigger would not reset. Pulling the slide back slightly and letting it go would reset it and this continued for 350 rounds. I figured I hadn't cleaned it well enough so I took it home took it all apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Today went to the range again with 3 different types of ball ammo and some hornady jump since this is what I carry I wanted to test some of them to be sure they fed reliably etc.

Same thing started happening on my send one shot. Shot about 40 rounds and it seemed more frequent with the extended grip magazine but it would fail to reset the trigger with both mags and all 3 types of ammo
Tulammo maxx brass, federal, and Remington. Tried one clip of the jhp and only happened 1/10 shots. Could be coincidence I'm not sure. I shot about 150 rounds of the other three combined and probably had 100 fail to resets.

My friend was there and ran a mag of each through his sr9c with out a single problem he shot mine and had the same results I was getting. In the middle somwhere we field stripped and sprayed down the trigger components and anything else we saw with clp wiped some off and tried to run the gun very wet and this changed nothing.

I guess I'll be calling ruger in the morning luckily I'm picking up my sr1911 on Thursday since the 9 is the only pistol I own I won't have a carry gun

Have any of you had this or seen this problem occur before?

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Did you take the striker out and clean the channel and clean the striker? My new SR9c had a ton of manufacturing gunk in the striker port and on the striker itself. Cleaned them up with Hoppe's #9 solvent and replaced the assembly. Never had a failure with the trigger resetting, but Googling the problem points to the striker channel and striker not moving freely because of grease and grime. Has the magazine disconnect been removed?

L3g4cY

Bearcat
no apart from basic field stripping i.e. slide and barrel nothing has been taken apart.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Give that a try before you ship it off. The striker is easy to remove (many videos). Run some Q-tips with solvent through the striker channel until clean. Clean the striker with solvent and replace. As I said, mine was full of grease and grime out of the box. I'm sure there would have been issues had I not cleaned it. One other question, do you hold the trigger back after firing a round and the gun cycles?

shorty43

Bearcat
Had the same problem with my SR9c. Here's a link for the striker dis-assembly. Scroll about half way down for the info.
http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_sr9c_p4.php

L3g4cY

Bearcat
i contacted them today and they want me to send it in from what I've read they replace the trigger bar. i'm sure its an easy fix but I figure on a gun that's only a few months old i'll let them handle it.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Nothing wrong with sending it to Ruger. Might very well be the trigger bar. Good luck with it. The SR9c is an awesome pistol.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Yes, send it back. I have one of the first SR9c models and mine did it right out of the gate. I sent it back and now many thousand rounds later, never had another hitch.

L3g4cY

Bearcat
yeah sending it out Friday, i'm picking up my SR1911 on thursday, was thinking about carrying it but we'll see if i can find a temporary holster till my crossbreed comes in.

L3g4cY

Bearcat
Just an update ruger received my gun Wednesday and shipped it out Thursday so should be here Monday. According to the guy on the phone they gutted and replace most of the components in the frame I'll post a picture of the invoice when I get it.

Positive experience in my eyes took care of the problem rapidly in my eyes

Latest posts