LC9, anything good about it??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mailman

Bearcat
I've been reading this forum for quite a long time and I see mostly bad remarks about the LC9. Don't get me wrong, I own one but it makes me wonder if I should trust it enough for carry. With all my doubts, I bought the new LCRX because, basically, I'm a revolver man and have been from the start. I just think a revolver has less issues of malfunction than a semi. Less moving parts to not function properly. I own a new model SBH, a .22/.22 magnum single six convertible, GP100 4" and my LCRX, so you can see I love a revolver. I also own a 6" Colt Trooper MKIII .357 magnum. I'm not really sure why I bought the LC9. I think I was looking for something light weight and the 9mm got my attention. I can't remark about anything good or bad about my LC9 because I've never fired it. I guess I keep looking for more positive responses to restore my faith in that gun. I know, I should take it out and fire it to find out for myself all the good or bad, whatever happens. Then I'd know whether I'd carry it or find a place in my gun cabinet for it. Just some thoughts from a diehard Ruger revolver guy.

This question has been discussed so many times that it is really rhetorical. You're gonna get both positive and negative answers, but it seems the negative answers are the loudest, although greatly fewer in number. I own two LC9's, and I've also shot neither. I have shot LC9's owned by others and I just happen to prefer my S&W Shield for this class of gun. That's only a personal preference. For the record, I have no negative experience with any LC9. I am surrounded by others that also have an LC9, and I know of no problems or failures with any of them. Everybody's pleased.

So, if you're a revolver guy like I am, and you don't yet trust your LC9, then leave it in the safe. When you get a chance, give it a chance, and put some rounds thru it. I suspect you'll be pleased, and maybe even learn to trust it. There are times and places where for even a revolver person, a small semi auto makes sense and has a place.

WAYNO.

bspitt

Single-Sixer
love my LC9- 1000's of rounds with the only issues coming from Cabela's cheap "Herters" branded ammo had a few failure to fires. Trigger pull is long, but I got use to it. I shoot WWB, Federal, and HP's through it all the time. I carry my all summer when my larger clothes wont conceal my full size pistols.

I think Wayno has posted the most even handed comment I have seen in a while regarding the Ruger LC9, and he is correct about the negative comments on them being the loudest. However, being a former revolver guy of many years, I as one having fired and carry my LC9 find it to be one of the most reliable and smooth triggered firearms I have had the pleasure to shoot. True, it is a long trigger pull. That being said, being a double action only pistol if you are comfortable shooting a revolver you ought to really like the LC9 and feel comfortable using it as a concealed carry firearm. I hate to see all the negative posts putting it down based on personal preferences, such as the long trigger pull or being too small for large hands. If those are issues to them, then it might not be their cup of tea so to speak. Certainly there are many other excellent choices out there---the SR9, SR9C, XD9, the S&W Sheild, etc. to name a few. They are all great pistols as well, but to put the LC9 down as being a bad pistol because it it not to their own personal liking is to me just not right. I find mine to be very reliable, extremely accurate and a good size for concealed carry which fits my hand very comfortably. Understand that I do not consider it a range pistol and I break my trips to the range down only firing about 150 rounds per trip. Any more rounds fired than that and it does bother my finger just a tad. That being said, I understand that it is not a pistol for firing hundreds of rounds at a time for personal enjoyment like a larger pistol or revolver. I use my time at the range with it wisely to better prepare to protect myself and family. My comments here are my opinion about what I feel is a very nice little pistol I have come to rely on after never having had an issue. I know there are some who have had issues and obviously their opinions may differ. I want everyone to be happy with what they choose to purchase or carry. Take care now and have a great day. :)

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I like my LC9 but not enough to keep it or carry it. It has been a decent gun but I too am more of a revolver guy and I don't really find a place for the LC9 in my carry routine. I bought it thinking it would be a good pocket gun but the LC9 is too big for that role.

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Mailman: It is the one I carry daily. I have no issue with anything on it, in it, around it, or through it. It has never failed to fire, chamber, or anything else. It feeds and shoots whatever I stuff into the magazine, factory or reloads. It fits my hand, fits in an IWB holster, is nearly invisible, and gives me great comfort in having it in the small of my back. It was designed for a purpose. It wasn't designed to be a tack driver. It was designed to save your bacon.

I also have an SR9C, a P89, and P90. I carry the LC9.

Since you haven't fired it, if you're concerned at all about it sell it. Otherwise send a few hundred rounds out the spout and then tell us how it went. Experience is a great substitute for internet innuendo.

My $.02

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
at least a couple thousand rds through mine, The only problem was when I weak handed it (limp wristed it) and got a stovepipe. Various brands of ammo, no updates to mine either. It's my carry gun and am happy with it.
More importantly than what anyone else thinks...what do YOU think about it??? Try it! or Sell it.
There will be na-sayers about everything. Do what's right for you.

Tremors

Bearcat
I do like my Revolvers so much I use to shoot them in pistol completions and win. I own several Colt Pythons and Smith and Wesson's but I really like my LC9. I like pistols due to their reliability and custom ability. I like that I can change things to way I like them. I like that it slimmer and smaller than most revolvers. I like that it holds more rounds. I like that I was able to put nights on with my laser. I like that since I purchased my LC9 2 months ago I have been able to put 750 rounds without cleaning it. I am kind of seeing how many rounds it will take before I get a FTF. Is it a Glock no but I like my LC9.

hittman

Staff member
I trust my LC9. Carry it or the 357 LCR; depending on what I wear, etc. Never had a problem with the LC9 and the gritty or hard trigger seems (to me) over-blown. To each their own.

e3mrk

Bearcat
I put the Galloway Trigger Bar in Mine and it really made a difference,It was like a different Gun all together as far as Trigger travel went.

fullagofast

Bearcat
I wondered about all the negativity on the LC9 until I actually bought and used one.

They feel very well made
They disappear into clothing (very easy to conceal)
Mine functions flawlessly

The noise on triggers is just that. I have to think most of the complainers have never shot a revolver double action. If you had a revolver with the same trigger you wouldn't complain.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
I have posted positive reviews on the lc9 all over the place, the same negatives always do seem to be the loudest. I heard that Ruger is introducing a lc9 in a striker fired version this year. maybe some of those who cant deal with a da pull will like that version. personally I like mine allot, shot it enough to feel comfortable to use it for concealed carry. I think part of the issue with the trigger has been range related. id admit to not wanting to shoot a gun this small in 9mm for a couple hundred rounds at the range on any given day. that's ok though as its not a range gun really. Checked out a XDs 9mm Friday and it was a nice feeling gun in the hand though still noticeably larger than the lc9 not to mention being another 150 or so more. similar trigger pull to my xdm compact that has a little bit hitchy trigger pull that requires another 150 or so to get it anywhere near as smooth as the lc9 was out of the box. Glock has a new 9mm coming out in single stack, so interested in checking it out though id suspect its going to be similar to the XDs, would love to see it come more melted like the lc9, which is one of the things I like best about it. anyway looks like glocks in the subcompact game now. the more the merrier, my lgs has so many cc pistols right now I cant remember seeing so many in one place, ever. the lc9 is still one of the best bargains.

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
I have carried a 1973 Colt Detective .38 Special for years, the Ruger LC-9 Is a not a Colt Detective .38 Special, I doubt that firearm will ever be matched, Colt Got it years ago on what a EDC should be and Ruger gets it today. The LC-9 is a Reliable,Capable,and Powerful firearm to EDC.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I know this doesn't count much for most around here but my wife thinks it is nice looking. That is why she has an LC380 now (that I bought for myself) and I carry her old Bersa Thunder 380.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have never had any problems with the LC9, i carry it whenever it is too warm to carry my SR40c and it has always performed flawlessly, i bought wife an LC380 and it is every bit as nice as the LC9. They are a perfect pistol for what they were intended.

e3mrk

Bearcat
The only thing I didn't like about the LC-9 was I would always misplace the take down pin so it always took longer than it should to put it back together.
Other than that I think it's a nice Pistol.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
bought my son an LC9 for his 28th birthday. it is accurate and so far we have found nothing it will not eat. I tried some rather long reloads last summer. worked in my SR9, would give me fits in my SR9c and some fte's in old faithful P95. LC9 ate them just fine. my step son has one also. he complained it would not shoot to point of aim. it does, but you need to practice trigger control. when I fired the pistol the groups were as good as you can expect from a little snot, and to poa. I prefer the SR9c because of the trigger and capacity. my son however loves his because it hides so well and is completely reliable, accurate. beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.