Questions for P95 owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
I just bought a new P95. (I've had one before, but sold it.) I want to change the sights to night sights, so my first question is: what night sights are you using on your P95?

Second question: has anyone installed the reduced power Wolff main spring (which is also the hammer spring, correct?) On the Wolff site, the stock spring is 22 pounds; on the Wolff site, they offer reduced power springs as low as 19 pounds. Do they affect the DA pull appreciably? Any light strikes or other malfunctions?

Are there any other modifications that you have done to your P95?

Thanks!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I installed Millett adjustable rear and orange insert front sights on my P95 and they really made a difference. However, like the P95, Millett has dropped their open sights so your only source would be e-bay or finding a set NOS at a gun shop.

Brownells offers fixed replacement sights with a fiber optics front and rear:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/fire-sights-prod16337.aspx

Scroll down to the P-series listing.

hittman

Staff member
lipofsky said:
My night sights were simply a bottle of glow paint from the hobby store and left the springs stock.

Good advice.

GKC

Blackhawk
lipofsky said:
My night sights were simply a bottle of glow paint from the hobby store

That's actually a pretty good alternative. For some reason, I thought the stock sights on the P95 were plastic...maybe they were on earlier models? Anyway, I got out my handy dandy magnet on a stick (which I have because I drop every screw, nut, or bolt I ever pick up...wish they made a magnet for brass!) and these sights are certainly metal (the magnet reacts to them, just like it does the slide.)

My main objective was to have metal sights for durability, and I assumed (we all know how well that works out) that the only alternative was night sights. I know...I be dum. :oops:

Mike J

Hunter
I don't know if your P95 is new or used but my experience with my old .40 caliber P94 was that after shooting it about 1000 rounds the trigger smoothed out nicely. I would suggest shooting it a lot before you change anything.

GKC

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
.... And leave the springs alone ....

REV

I usually do...I just wondered if there was any real benefit from anyone who has actually installed them. I didn't buy the P95 expecting it to have a 1911 trigger...although the SA trigger on this gun is much better than I remember it being on my previous P95. The DA trigger pull is still pretty heavy...but in a moment of actual need, I doubt that I'd notice it. It's not any heavier than most revolvers I've had (in DA mode, on a DA/SA revolver.)

GKC

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
I don't know if your P95 is new or used but my experience with my old .40 caliber P94 was that after shooting it about 1000 rounds the trigger smoothed out nicely. I would suggest shooting it a lot before you change anything.

I bought it new, yesterday, at a local gun shop...test fire date was 7/2013.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have Trijicon night sights on my KP944 and they are the best all around sights i have found, they show up really well no matter how dark it is and they are going on 10 years old. I want to get a set for my BSR40c if i can find them.

Mike J

Hunter
GKC my experience with my P94 was that I did change to a 19# spring when the gun didn't have very many rounds through it. After shooting it more it got to where I didn't really like the way the trigger felt with the lighter spring in it (it kinda seemed floppy to me). That coupled with a talk I had with a local LEO one day when I had stopped for a cup of coffee got me to change the spring back to the original (he advised against modifying a gun that might be used for defense & told me a story about what an officer he was partnered with that was involved in a shooting on duty went through).