carry while riding motorcycle, go left?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So I carry while I ride and like the idea of being able to operate the bike and pistol at the same time. Anyone else run left for this reason? I figure I'll practice a bunch this summer.

roylt said:
So I carry while I ride and like the idea of being able to operate the bike and pistol at the same time. Anyone else run left for this reason? I figure I'll practice a bunch this summer.

The timing of your question is perfect. Just yesterday, I received in the mail a left-handed holster I ordered for precisely this reason. :mrgreen: I'll have to practice too. I can't even operate a dinner fork left-handed.

WAYNO.

roylt

Hunter
I toyed with the idea towards the end of last summer. I was riding to a buddies and thought I could not safely operate the bike and the pistol if needed.

Just won two blackhawks for my glock!

Sadly I am not a very good shot right handed either but been stocking up on 40 cal so I can get better.

Try brushing your teeth left, not as easy as it sounds. haha

When qualifying for the SO in the late 80's, I had to shoot 10 rounds weak ( for me left )handed. Still got a 95% score. It isn't as hard as it sounds(at least for me). Most of what you use is gross motor control when firing! The only fine part is the trigger finger. Under stress the fine motor goes south!
gramps

George

Blackhawk
roylt,
You say your not a very good shot right handed. Try and assess why that is! Try shooting a small caliber a whole lot.. maybe it's recoil flinch..Maybe it's technic.. You can figure out if your flinching with a revolver ,have a buddy load 3 or 4 in a 6 shooter or load a few snap caps in your mag.. You will see just what you're doing wrong after you fire a few live rounds then when still expecting a live round you just get a click you will see if your flinching or jabbing at the trigger you will see where your sights are after that click too.. You may just need good instruction and more range time.. after you get really good then try and south paw it and put in lot's of time.. If you don't figure out why your not that good you will never be able to southpaw it.. Also find out if your right eyed dominant or left eye dominant..That could be your issue too. Good luck! George

eveled

Hawkeye
It is a good idea to practice everything with your off hand. If you ever need rotator cuff surgery, or something similar you will understand why. I often carry my gun, on my off side, because I carry my knife on my strong side. I can shoot with either hand.

roylt

Hunter
George said:
roylt,
You say your not a very good shot right handed. Try and assess why that is! Try shooting a small caliber a whole lot.. maybe it's recoil flinch..Maybe it's technic.. You can figure out if your flinching with a revolver ,have a buddy load 3 or 4 in a 6 shooter or load a few snap caps in your mag.. You will see just what you're doing wrong after you fire a few live rounds then when still expecting a live round you just get a click you will see if your flinching or jabbing at the trigger you will see where your sights are after that click too.. You may just need good instruction and more range time.. after you get really good then try and south paw it and put in lot's of time.. If you don't figure out why your not that good you will never be able to southpaw it.. Also find out if your right eyed dominant or left eye dominant..That could be your issue too. Good luck! George

I am "new" to shooting. Not a lot of range time under my belt. I hope to get a lot more this year. I plan to focus on one pistol and one caliber and get better. I used to take whatever to the range just for fun. (probably still do that a little) I do have a 22pistol and a revolver so may try what you suggest but my focus will be 40 cal run through a glock or a P944. Most likely the glock.

Happy New Year!!

Problem I see is that no matter which way you carry you still need both hands on a bike . . . right for throttle, left for clutch.

I agree that left carry would at least allow throttle control, but there are many, many "situations" that also require clutch operation RIGHT NOW!

Not arguing . . . just observing, based on quite a bit of "saddle time".

:)

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Roylt,
Few years ago I had a guy in a car get so close 3 different times I thought he was gonna hit me. I was leaving work where I would get fired for being armed and my 380 was deep in my right front pocket. I would have to take my hand off the throttle to retrieve my 380. I had a leftie holster made for my 45 ACP and a bought a leftie horizontal holster. I also put a stubie 38 or 380 in the bag between the handle bars.

Also had a close call with a serious pitbull. So when I ride I have left hand access to my personal protection so I won't have to get off the throttle.

If you don't have access when needed it doesn't do you any good.

HAPPY TRAILS!

roylt

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
Problem I see is that no matter which way you carry you still need both hands on a bike . . . right for throttle, left for clutch.

I agree that left carry would at least allow throttle control, but there are many, many "situations" that also require clutch operation RIGHT NOW!

Not arguing . . . just observing, based on quite a bit of "saddle time".

I feel you can get by without the clutch if you really need to. I have done it on my dirtbike before and figure on my street bike would be fine too if the need was great enough.

I never really want to find out but hope to be somewhat prepared.

This is an interesting tread if I do say so myself. Thanks for all the feedback.

I've always felt that the speed and maneuverability of a motorcycle would be adequate to get me out of most situations that might seem to require the ready use of a gun, so I haven't really seen the need for immediate accessability while in motion. I figure I can get away from any cage-mounted threat more readily than I can engage in a one-handed firefight while attempting to control the bike one-handed. But that's just me.

I guess the question is valid, even if the scenario is highly unlikely.

JMHO

roylt

Hunter
I agree. Bikes can avoid easier.

Over all I need more range time. Maybe this is the excuse I needed. HAHA

I have yet to meet someone who could shoot effectively while riding a motorcycle (as the rider, not passenger). Sounds more like Hollywood than reality. If I can't get away from trouble I will stop, gain cover, then draw my gun.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Little late to this topic.... but better late than not I guess.

I'm right handed and my CCW is on my right hind quarter. I don't think I have tried to draw it out while in motion riding (maybe I have but I know I have while parked) and in those cases that I might have a need to while in motion..... I have a throttle lock if required. I know I have used my right hand to smoke or lite a cig (when I did that) or to get my phone or something else from a right side pocket, and the throttle lock worked great then.

Maybe moving the throttle to the left side would work for those that wanted that... but the cost associated with that might not even be worth it.

I think practice shooting with the non dominant hand/arm might be better idea overall.... just in case you needed to shoot with a bum or wounded dominant hand/arm, riding or not.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
This is absurd. When will you ever need to shoot while riding? Did I read someones post correctly who said they would draw down on a car that came to close? Yeah ok, go back to the video games and movies.