carry while riding motorcycle, go left?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gettin ran over raises a huge red flag too. Yep, unlikely, but a feller discussing remote possibilities doesn't make us wrong for asking the questions. My guess about the creation of this thread could be because of an urban legend that's been heavily circulated in my world. Keep in mind, I'm just sharing what's been printed.

Just want to give a heads up out there. Not sure how much truth is in this but we are getting to the bottom of it.

It seems there is a new gang of car enthusiasts that call themselves *** are targeting motorcyclist to either run them over or just off the road. It appears they are from coast to coast and south as far as Oklahoma. I will post more when I find out anything else. If anyone out there thinks they have encountered these knuckleheads, "PM" me with your location. It's bad enough we have to watch out for the distracted driver, now we have a group of determined drivers. So if you notice one of them *** *** *** coming into sight, keep a watchfull eye.

WAYNO.

vito said:
I plan on trying to use my throttle lock to hold my speed constant, both my knees to steady the handlebars, and then have both hands free for a Weaver-like stance while moving.

OK, I call foolishness on this.

I'm not real certain this person has ever actually ridden a motorcycle. I have, quite a bit, and this scenario simply doesn't work in real life.

In video games . . . probably.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Billsburg

Bearcat
I ride a dual sport, often in remote areas and like having my gun with me. I'll skip the "where is the best place to holster as I ride with one hand and shoot with the other as I cross a creek with rocks while standing up" part, my question is different.

Where do dual sport or dirt bike riders carry? I have gone two ways and feel each has big risks. If I carry my little LC9 in my right quarter I worry that it will bruise me badly on an otherwise easy get off, or get wet if I drop the bike in a creek. If I keep it or my SP101 in my water resistant aluminum case then I'd have to ask an assailant for a minute courtesy time out to get it.

Anyone ride off-road and have a preferred carry strategy that won't hurt the gun or body during the occasional unexpected bike nap time?

roylt

Hunter
I have riden dirt but it was awhile ago. I suggest on your chest. Do you wear a chest protector? I'm sure you could attach to that and typically when I crashed it was not on my chest. Or maybe an underarm rig. Adjusted a bit forward.

Welcome here too by the way.

Billsburg

Bearcat
Good suggestions, you are right, most of the time when I fall it's on my side, butt, or elbow/shoulder...inside of those areas would likely reduce impact. I don't wear a chest protector as I usually end up on pavement 80% of the time as it takes me an hour+ To get to the dirt and it's just too hot, especially with a 450 lb bike. I am going to look at a new holster.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
When qualifying for the SO in the late 80's, I had to shoot 10 rounds weak ( for me left )handed. Still got a 95% score. It isn't as hard as it sounds(at least for me). Most of what you use is gross motor control when firing! The only fine part is the trigger finger. Under stress the fine motor goes south!
gramps

Gramps:
You have a 100% accurate valid point, I am not going to get into my background .. .. ..
The truth is when you're in a life/death situation you body dumps adrenalin into your system, your heart-rate goes up to close to 150 beats per minute, you get tunnel vision, blood begins to leave your limbs and head to your core to protect vital organ's and simple fine motor movement becomes difficult (like using your car key to unlock the door).

Tremors

Bearcat
I usually only carry one pistol on the right side. I figure since I usually ride in the fast lane most of the time it would not do me any good to carry on the left. If I really need to pull it out my pistol I will ride the clutch if I have to.

This all sounds like the equivalent of a mall ninja preparing for the apocalypse. Or maybe you will need to shoot while riding to clear the road ahead of zombies. If you want to practice shooting while riding, go for it, but to act like this is a skill that is likely to ever be needed sounds pretty silly to me. Why not work on having bike-mounted guns that can be fired from a control on the handgrip? Anything that requires you to take your left hand off the grip for more than a few seconds, unless you are riding on a straight road at a steady speed, will vastly increase the likelihood of losing effective control of your bike. Shooting accurately from a bike while it is moving is more Hollywood than reality. I guess some folks just have a lot of time on their hands.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
I just let my passenger do the shooting.......or perhaps we could switch places and I could shoot, it's all practice you know?