Thumb Safety on SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
After collecting and shooting guns for many years I must say that I am very impressed with the Thumb Safety on the SR pistols. It's low profile is perfect and almost impossible to snag on something and flip off. Still it is very easy to manipulate as sights come up on target. The safety is positive and stays put and is v ery well done IMO. I consider this a serious upgrade compared to the other striker fire weapons without a thumb safety.

I talked to a police officer last week who just retired with 24 years service and only had one shooting incident in his career. Civilians are even less likely to have a real shooting incident. Where the real danger is in day to day gun handling, particularly re-holstering a weapon in a IWB holster slightly our of visual range of the operator. It is possible for a bit of clothing to get started in the holster holster and that may be a problem with a striker weapon with no safety. We see this happen in the IDPA, where the range officer is frequently helping shooters keep clothing free of the holster while re-holstering.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
I love the safety on my SR9c for all the reasons stated above. The trigger is so good/sensitive on my gun that I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying one in the chamber without it.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I must confess that I have both the SR40c and the SR9c. The trigger is very good at 4.5 pounds on the 40 but almost 6 pounds on the 9mm. I feel very secure holstering these pistols with the excellent safety. It is interesting to note while the SR compact is a striker weapon, the trigger is not the same as a Glock. The Glock has a definite two stage trigger with more take up than the SR compact.

Additionally, I must say that I like the safety features. I still go through the same safety drill as any gun, but I don't really mind the safety features. These SR Compacts are really excellent for carry or general use!

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Note that when you re-holster the SR9c you can put your thumb over the striker indicator on the back of the slide. With the safety off your thumb will actually prevent the trigger from being pulled back. Try it with empty gun to see what I am talking about. Of course a person would always put thumb safety on with a loaded/chambered weapon. The thumb on the striker indicator could be an automatic second measure to ensure the gun could not discharge.

Not sure how you are keeping finger behind the trigger. Most pistols, especially striker fired weapons, should have a holster that completely encases the trigger guard area. Blade Tech is a good example of a properly designed holster: http://shop.blade-tech.com/inside-waistband-c-1_13.html

haymaker

Single-Sixer
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not put your finger behind the trigger when re holstering. Unless you are ready to shoot your trigger finger should be resting along the slide above the trigger guard. You don't want your finger anywhere near the trigger when re holstering. When you holster your gun you must always be diligent about anything that may interfere. It's just one of the rules of gun handling.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Haymaker, I like your comment "When you holster your gun you must always be diligent about anything that may interfere. It's just one of the rules of gun handling."

This true for all guns but is even more critical for striker weapons without a manual safety such as Glock. Sometimes the holster is out of view and that is where features like the thumb safety, exterior hammer, xd grip safety all serve as a secondary/additional safeties. At no time should manual safeties become an excuse to get lax with standard safety practices. I am reminded of an industrial lock out for industrial shop tools. The power plug or electric box is actually locked while the machine is being he repaired. Of course the machine would be swithced off while being repaired...

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
Thanks Mountain ,after carrying My Colt Detective 38 Special snubby for years I always had my thumb behind the hammer when holstering it became 2nd nature especially since the Colt was a point and shoot firearm ,I didn't think you could do that with a Ruger SR40C, It will become 2nd nature on my Ruger now,kinda overkill with the manual safety on but I've done it for years ,I was wondering though if you could freeze the motion in time on the striker if you did feel it coming back with one in the chamber and safety off ? I don't really want to try that test,lol,Thanks again Mountain

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Airbrush Artist: You have the idea exactly, that why I like the exterior hammer on Sig Sauer pistols are so nice. As for the SR40c, when you put you thumb over the striker indicator at the rear of the slide, the trigger cannot be pulled back even with moderate force. There appears to be some mechanical advantage because it is pretty easy to hold the striker down and not let it go backward. Yes you are freezing the motion of the striker from coming back before being released. Try it for yourself with an empty chamber and you will see it is very reliable. There would be no advantage to testing with loaded chamber. I am with you that this simply an extra overkill measure just in case the manual safety was flipped off.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
10-4! I have looked at the Beretta and like it. The hammer fired feature and long first pull like Sigs is a great safety feature. Thanks for your input!