LCP Stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Texan650

Bearcat
I may be late to the game, but just noticed the Ruger website is listing an LCP in stainless available February 2014. That will be nice for the humid climates.

It will be great for pocket carry.........which is exactly how I carry.

Maybe I can get a SS slide sent to me from Ruger if I send them my blued one.

Steve

wil92

Bearcat
I just noticed the SS version as well. I think that will be my pick for pocket carry. Also will be nice for the humid weather we have here in Alabama.
Wil

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I was looking at that too and remembered that stainless steel will corrode also. I think stainless slide is a nice touch for a mouse gun and will require less maintenance, but still needs looking after and the barrel is still carbon steel. If carried in a nice little pocket holster, regular blue will do fine. I have had really outstanding luck with carrying my old blue LCP in this really nice holster which hides print in your pocket: http://www.rkbaholsters.com/pocketcarry.html

I use the second one shown "Flat Bottom Pocket"

Texan650

Bearcat
Yes - a stainless barrel would be a nice touch, but also drive the cost even higher. Remember the good old days when blued P series guns came with stainless barrels?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Yes, stainless barrels in blue P guns was only a few years back. Looks like the P guns were dropped and they are now an excellent used value. Very durable weapons.

I prefer stainless. Pocket carried a kel-tec p-32 for years and even with periodic wiping down with an oiled rag and an uncle mikes pocket holster, it rusted. I am now doing the same with a LCP, and hope it doesn't rust.
gramps

INDY45

Single-Sixer
I have the LCP that I bought in 2010 and it is, I believe nickel coated from the factory. I have only seen 2 others like mine. I wonder if this Stainless model is solid stainless or some type of coating? If it is stainless I will looking to acquire one, And maybe Ruger will produce a LC9 in a stainless version.

98Redline

Blackhawk
For the LCP I don't see the draw for the stainless gun. I have had mine since 2010 and it gets pocket carried every day. It has been sweated up more times than I can count and I have some bluing that is thinning on the high points of the slide but there is not even the slightest freckle of rust anywhere. A good cleaning and a gentle spray down with Eezox about every month keeps it rust free.

If you want it for the aesthetic aspect, I get that, but from a corrosion protection aspect, I think that the factory finish on the current LCP works fine.

Z1D2

Bearcat
Nickel would be nice imo. And If I find a lcp in my budget I don't care if it's blued or copper plated.. but my friend is selling my p22 and it has to go first

Al James

Hunter
I for one was happy with the intro. A while back when Ruger was taking 5 suggestions for new products, a SS LCP was one of my requests. Still waiting on that .260 SS XGI though :(

I had the blued LCP and in was very prone to surface rust. I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of finishes or I am extra salty but it was a total PITA. So I sold it to a friend and bought the Talo Nickel plated version. It worked great until I was trying to trade into a galil and the seller wanted a LCP. Bye, Bye. LCPless :shock:

Fast forward to last week when I saw the new SS LCP. Looks like the 3rd time the charm, as it also has new sights and an improved trigger in addition to being SS. Only negative IMO is the blued barrel. Hopefully enough people will complain and they will change that too.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
if you didn't want to go to the expense of plating or taking the loss on a trade in you could consider duracoating. ive got the lc9 and will likely see some summertime pocket carry or iwb. if it rusts so be it, ill take care of it, plan to give it a wax with some great marine products I have. certainly not loosing sleep over it.

George

Blackhawk
I carry a LC9 daily, sometimes a compact Colt SS 1911 .45. I carry in a IWB HD model holster made in St. Cloud FL. it does have a slide guard on it that I ordered for a $10.00 up charge and longer wait time. In any case I carry with it up against my body with out an undershirt. I find that the leather sticks to my body better and for me offers a much secure way of carry.. As far as rust goes i have no issues so far. Carry is every day all day till I go to bed.. at the end of the day I pull the gun from the holster and wipe it down with a oiled wipe down rag and then I leave it out of the holster overnight to help dry the holster.. Once a month I give the inside of the holster a quick spray with Rem oil.. Again I have no issues so far carry is about a year now. I have thought of treating the body side of the holster with some camp dry or some sealant to help with body salts not soaking in the holster but so far didn't do anything yet.. I have 35+ years in gun carry on and off and never had a issue with rust on any gun finish do to carry weather or humidity.. A little care goes a long way. Also any older used guns I picked up that were in ruff shape with rubbed off finish or that have been neglected by previous owners to the point of some rust. Again I care for the gun appropriately then keep it well cared for and had never had one go any further. Just use Hoppys bore cleaner and oil and what ever else I feel is appropriate to use some Rem oil and Seal 1 at times for the lock works but rarely .. I'm old school and if it's not borke you know! Why change! Hope this helps in some small way! George