LCP and Winchesters PDX1 in it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hello,
I had not had a chance to do a good break in with our New LCP but still need to use it for my CCW at times. I have a box Winchester DPX1's in .380 95gr bullets for it .. On the box it lists Velocity of 1000fps with a energy of 211lbs out of the gun but it seems to feed like butter when manually cycling the rounds through by hand.. I also have a box of Hornady Critical defense in the same cal ,.380 and it and it lists the Velocity 1000fps does not list the energy it's also has a 95gr bullet... Feeding is not as smooth as the PXD1's by hand.. I have to use one or the other and with no more break in for now.. What would my best choice to use be? Thanks.. George

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If the published velocities (or real world velocities) are the same and the bullet weights are the same, the energies are exactly the same. "Energy" is a calculated value based on velocity and bullet weight, it is not measured.

If the PDX seems to feed better use it for now, but, as soon as possible, try them both by shooting. Hand feeding does not tell you nearly as much as real shooting.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Personally with 200fl-lbs of energy I'd use JHP to stop the bullet from going through the BG. It's personal defense. It's an LCP for Pete's sake. The target won't be any more that 5 or so yards away.

George

Blackhawk
Yep close range for sure. My intent was to use +P's in it but I can't find any right now. Only could find the two types mentioned so far and thought they would be better than nothing or better than FMJ hardball..I know the manual said not to use +P's in the LCP but I have checked with others and I picked up a heavy duty spring set for it 13 lbs I think.. That would give me better than .38 special power.. I buffed the feed ramp and both types of ammo seem to feed just fine now even if I ride the slide i could not cause a malfunction... Yep I know I have to make some time to put some rounds through it and run it in some then run a good number of the S/D rounde I decide to go with.. Nice little gun though.. Just right when the LC9 is too bulky.. Any +P ammo suggestions that work well in the LCP? George

22/45 Fan

Hunter
George said:
My intent was to use +P's in it but I can't find any right now........ Any +P ammo suggestions that work well in the LCP?
Be aware that there is no SAAMI +P standard for .380ACP the way there is for 9 mm and .38 Special ammo. So ".380+P" can be anything the manufacturers want to load and you have no standard to rely on. If it were from a well known large maker like Federal, Remington, Hornady, etc. I'd have confidence that it wasn't dangerous but if it's from some new, small or local supplier, I'd be very hesitant to use it.

George

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan!
Yes I will stick to brand name manufacturers. I'll also I'll be looking at Bullet weight and velocity to be on the safe side. Not many choices where I live, ammo is still on the sparse not much at all.. I was lucky to get a few boxes of TulAmmo Brass maxx ( Made in Italy, ) It does have Boxer primers and is ball ammo with a brass case. I also have the defence brands I mentioned earlier in my posts. Hoping not ot have issues with the Boxer primers as the LCP has a stock trigger and works. I don't like to order online do to the Hazardous shipping fee unless I make an order worth it with other stuff but I'm good with everything except .380 as it was a new addition for the wife but I like this little gun too.. Thank you for that info! I didn't know! in this little .380 as it could and would make a big difference in safty.. George

FWIW the Tula ammo is what shoots the best in my LCP. I even used the LCP to euthanize a hawg I hit with the car in Tx! Great gun, decent caliber, always with ya(well almost always).
gramps

George

Blackhawk
Gramps, Thanks! You put down a hog with it, I'm impressed! Ya i had a few .380's some years back and I didn't feel under gunned or under powered with them at all for CC use..People forget years ago they use to call the .380acp a Hi power cartridge with the .32 acp's being under powered mouse guns and some younger folks get them mixed up.. .380 is not bad at all especially with all the cartridges bullet types and loads you can get it in this day and age. I would not want ot be on the receiving end of one! George

George

Blackhawk
Gramps,
How true you right! Ya the .32 I have my dad brought back with him from WWII. He was in Italy at the time it's a Beretta model 1935 in .32 cal. Just a lovely gun.. He had a Beretta model 1934 in .380 that only had one mag no holster and was all rusted over there and someone offered him this 1935 in .32 cal Brand new with holster and two mags so he swapped.. That Beretta is sure a flamethrower at dusk... George