Laser questin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Well a little early, but my wife has her Ruger SR22PB Xmas present, and has mentioned she'd like a laser for it. Crimson Trace has one that Ruger recommends, but not being laser savvy I'd like some opinions and/or alternative recommendations. Thanks. :)

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Do remember that red lasers are not good at all in direct sunshine.
Green lasers are significantly better in daylight.

Another item to think about: a laser will not make you shoot any better.
They are but another tool in your tool box. :D

stefko

Single-Sixer
I'll second Ruger's recommendation. Crimson Trace is a great American company that provides a fine product.

Steve

bwraven

Bearcat
Crimson Trace is the only readily available LASER designed for the SR22 that will hold-up over time.

A good friend bought a cheaper brand that lasted about 400 rounds and then wouldn't hold zero anymore. You will get what you pay for.

And listen to hunter's recommendation on color choice. The human eye is more sensitive to green than it is to red, and you will see a green LASER much better than a red one. But even a green one is difficult to pick-up at any distance on a sunny day.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd recommend night sights rather than the electronic crutch of a laser. You can get so conditioned to needing to see it, that it could make you hesitate at the wrong time, because you're hunting for it. Then there's failing batteries, failing electronics, etc etc.

Most people I know that tried lasers took them off fairly quickly. I'd at least run that point past her.

JMO ...

REV

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Like revhigh, i would much rather have night sights than a laser. I have CT laser grips on an SP101 and they are nice at times, but the Trijicon night sights are great in any low light situation, i would not be without the night sights on my home defense, or CC pistol.

Passtime

Bearcat
I put a Crimson Trace Rail Master (red) on my SR45 for night time home defense and it works perfect for my purposes. I would not recommend it for daytime use although at 7 to 10 yards I can see it. It does not affect my proficiency with my handgun whatsoever because when I am at the range it is usually off and I use the iron sights. The most I have used it is when I aligned it. I do check it's alignment periodically and as of yet it has held it's placement. I contemplated night sights, a mounted light and a handheld flashlight and at first I was going to go with a small handheld flashlight but after thinking it through I concluded that if I am awoken in the middle of the night by an intruder who is bound and determined to hurt my family and me, point and shoot it seems, would be the way to go but as of now I am not very proficient with it so the laser fills the gap perfectly for me. As far as I am concerned it is a point and shoot tool for use at night and it works well for me with that goal in mind. I hope this helps. :wink:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I'm one of the ones who bought one then quickly took it off. Within 3 months as I remember.

When practicing drawing from a holster unless your technique is perfect you "fish" for your front site. That is either you bring it to your eye and don't see it so begin the process of shifting the muzzle up then letting it settle. Or you see nothing but front site and you start swinging the muzzle down to line up.

For some reason when I attach a laser this problem is magnified x10 at least in my case. Instead of shifting the muzzle up and down + or -5 degrees or so, for some reason with the laser you start swinging it more like + or - 15 degrees. I think this is because in the moment I don't care about my iron site picture and am completely dependent on finding my laser. My mind can't do both things in a hurry.

Granted do I feel better about my lineup once I find the red dot? Yes, I do. But I have spent more time chasing it around the target then if I had just lined up a reasonably acceptable iron site shot. Meaning at least I see all three dots. I can do that rather quickly.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I'm going against the crowd. Crimson Trace is like Toyota - very proud of their product and you pay through the nose for it. IMHO, the only CT laser to get is the grip version because it moves the laser to a more stable position. But you can get rail mounted lasers for under $50 and they work just fine. After all the SR-22 doesn't have a lot of recoil to worry about. And as for red versus green, red is just fine in daylight - turn it up if you have too. It's not like you'll be shooting at targets 200 feet away with that 22. Geez, don't buy the hype unless you like wasting money.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Thanks for the info y'all. I'll have to educate my wife about them seems like. I don't want to spend money on something that wouldn't be appropriate for her. :)