Gun cleaning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wrenchin'802

Bearcat
I just bought my first pistol, and I'd like to make it last. I saw wondering what cleaning kits people recommended. I'm also not entirely sure exactly what needs to be cleaned (I think I'm over thinking it) but I don't want to miss something and risk damaging it. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kyle

hittman

Staff member
On my semi's I spray the barrel with CLP, let it soak a few hours or a couple of days, run a bore mop wet with Hoppe's No.9 through it, then patches until they're clean.

A good supply of Pro-Shot cloths is a big help too.

roylt

Hunter
Welcome.
Your manual should show what you need to clean.

What pistol do you have someone else with the same gun might have specific things to look at / do.

Kermit814

Bearcat
You can get some good tips off YouTube videos provided that the person who made the video actually knows what they are doing. Read the comments and look for videos that are highly rated. The manual is definitely the best resource, but personally, I'm a visual learner and it's easier for me to understand how to do something if I watch someone else do it first, so go to the manual first and then subsidize it with YouTube.

Go here (ignore the LCR info) then scroll down to "Ruger Tech Tips" (bottom left) open that and then select 'P-95 cleaning'. All you need to know. Enjoy.
http://ruger.com/resources/videos.html

Rei40c

Blackhawk
My checklist.
Bore Brush & cleaning rod
Patches
CLP
Gun Oil (Whatever kind I don't think it matters much)
M-pro 7 spray solvent
Q-tips (just be sure not to get left over cotton threads in the gun)
Dust off compressed air can.

There's a million how to youtube video's on the internet that covers gun care. Personally if I'm in a hurry the parts I think are most important are. Barrel (inside and out), Feed Ramp, Rails. This can be done in less then 5 minutes. The feed ramp might be the most important in terms of keeping the gun running. It really builds up with spent powder fast, but it's also the easiest to clean.