SR9C for Xmas?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Pretend I'm a 68 yo woman with rather small hands and arthritis and considering getting a 9mm compact pistol. There's a lot to like about the SR9C, including the ability to use 17rd mags. I'd like to know of any negative issues (feed, extract, finish, etc.) anyone has experienced with the SR9C, as well as opinion regarding carry, racking the slide, and felt recoil.

Would the SR9C be a suitable carry gun for me?

GunnyGene said:
Pretend I'm a 68 yo woman with rather small hands and arthritis and considering getting a 9mm compact pistol. There's a lot to like about the SR9C, including the ability to use 17rd mags. I'd like to know of any negative issues (feed, extract, finish, etc.) anyone has experienced with the SR9C, as well as opinion regarding carry, racking the slide, and felt recoil.

Nope. Unless you've got semi-auto pistol training, and can load an extremely stiff magazine, and can chamber your rounds and clear a jam...Get a small revolver.

Now let the fireworks fly.

WAYNO.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
GunnyGene said:

Nope. Unless you've got semi-auto pistol training, and can load an extremely stiff magazine, and can chamber your rounds and clear a jam...Get a small revolver.

WAYNO.

Wasn't aware of the mag issue. I assume you mean hard to insert? Is that due to a mag safety? Thanks for the info about it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
WAYNO said:
GunnyGene said:

WAYNO.

Wasn't aware of the mag issue. I assume you mean hard to insert? Is that due to a mag safety? Thanks for the info about it.

No ... He means hard to load the mag itself. And then hard again to rack the slide.

Get an LCR.

REV

Trucker

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:

Probably not. As much as I love my SR9C [my absolutley favorite every day carry], I seriously doubt you would be able to rack the slide correctly.

The way to find out would be to go to a local gun store where they will allow you to try to rack the slide.

Better yet, find [if possible] a shooting range that will rent you an SR9 or SR9C and load it up, rack the slide, and shoot it! Or a friend that has either the 9 or 9C that will allow you to play around with it. The slide is stiff. Not a problem if you can rack it but a deal killer if you can't.

I don't think you want a pistol [or any weapon] you can't use!!

If you do go to a gun store and find out you can't rack the slide on the SR9C, try out the Walther PK 380. While I much refer 9mm over the 380 [a 380 is essentially a 9mm short] the Walther PK380 has the easiest racking slide I've ever handled. Loaded with the right ammo the 380 isn't something to play with. Other than a revolver that [the PK 380] would be a great alternative IF you can't handle the 9mm.

One more thought. If you find that racking the slide presents a problem for you there's stlll hope. IF you can get someone to work with you and show you the correct technique to use in racking a slide the problem can sometimes be overcome.

Lot's of luck with your talk with Santa. If you can handle the SR9C you'll love it!!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Trucker said:
GunnyGene said:

Probably not. As much as I love my SR9C [my absolutley favorite every day carry], I seriously doubt you would be able to rack the slide correctly.

The way to find out would be to go to a local gun store where they will allow you to try to rack the slide.

Better yet, find [if possible] a shooting range that will rent you an SR9 or SR9C and load it up, rack the slide, and shoot it! Or a friend that has either the 9 or 9C that will allow you to play around with it. The slide is stiff. Not a problem if you can rack it but a deal killer if you can't.

I don't think you want a pistol [or any weapon] you can't use!!

If you do go to a gun store and find out you can't rack the slide on the SR9C, try out the Walther PK 380. While I much refer 9mm over the 380 [a 380 is essentially a 9mm short] the Walther PK380 has the easiest racking slide I've ever handled. Loaded with the right ammo the 380 isn't something to play with. Other than a revolver that [the PK 380] would be a great alternative IF you can't handle the 9mm.

One more thought. If you find that racking the slide presents a problem for you there's stlll hope. IF you can get someone to work with you and show you the correct technique to use in racking a slide the problem can sometimes be overcome.

Lot's of luck with your talk with Santa. If you can handle the SR9C you'll love it!!

Will the Walther PK 380 handle +P without breaking something?

GKC

Blackhawk
I've not tried one myself, but many people say the LC380 is very easy to handle, both in racking the slide as well as felt recoil. Of all my semis, the only one my wife could rack was the LC9, so that's what I got her. If the LC380 is even easier, then it should be easy to manipulate.

A small revolver does eliminate the concern with racking the slide. The problem with small revolvers, though, is that many of them are hard to shoot well...triggers on a small DAO revolver are stout, which affects accuracy, and felt recoil can be painful. Granted, in a moment of high stress (such as a self-defense shooting) that may not be an issue, but if practice at the range is painful, it's unlikely she will practice enough to become proficient. The myth is that a small revolver is a good beginner's gun...they aren't...especially not the S&W Airweights, and similar. If she isn't planning to conceal carry the revolver, then a gun like a S&W Model 10 or a Ruger GP100 would be a very good choice for a beginner...or, for a smaller revolver, the Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel, in .357, but loaded with .38s.

The LCR is a very good carry gun, and has a much better trigger than other small, DAO revolvers. I've had both the .38 model and the .357 model, and I'd recommend the .357 model. It's 3 oz. heavier, which isn't really noticeable for carry, but it does help a bit with recoil, especially if you load it with .38s.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
I've not tried one myself, but many people say the LC380 is very easy to handle, both in racking the slide as well as felt recoil. Of all my semis, the only one my wife could rack was the LC9, so that's what I got her. If the LC380 is even easier, then it should be easy to manipulate.

A small revolver does eliminate the concern with racking the slide. The problem with small revolvers, though, is that many of them are hard to shoot well...triggers on a small DAO revolver are stout, which affects accuracy, and felt recoil can be painful. Granted, in a moment of high stress (such as a self-defense shooting) that may not be an issue, but if practice at the range is painful, it's unlikely she will practice enough to become proficient. The myth is that a small revolver is a good beginner's gun...they aren't...especially not the S&W Airweights, and similar. If she isn't planning to conceal carry the revolver, then a gun like a S&W Model 10 or a Ruger GP100 would be a very good choice for a beginner...or, for a smaller revolver, the Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel, in .357, but loaded with .38s.

The LCR is a very good carry gun, and has a much better trigger than other small, DAO revolvers. I've had both the .38 model and the .357 model, and I'd recommend the .357 model. It's 3 oz. heavier, which isn't really noticeable for carry, but it does help a bit with recoil, especially if you load it with .38s.

Speaking as the 68 year old woman , I've had a S&W model 60 for 10 years, but I'm bugging my hubby for a semi-auto :wink: . Carry is possible. The Walther mentioned above looks like it's on the short list.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
GKC said:

Speaking as the 68 year old woman , I've had a S&W model 60 for 10 years, but I'm bugging my hubby for a semi-auto :wink: . Carry is possible. The Walther mentioned above looks like it's on the short list.
If you get a chance to handle and shoot the 938 Sig give it a try, my Wife and Daughters love them, slide manipulation is easy and the gun is as smooth as silk.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
22/45 Fan said:
AFAIK, there is no .380 +P

Yeah, there is :) : http://www.underwoodammo.com/380acp.aspx
[/quote]
OK, let me rephrase that. AFAIK, there is no SAAMI definition of .380+P the way there is for 9mm +P and .38 Special +P. Without that certification, +P can be anything the maker wants to sell you and you have no idea what you are buying. If you want to take the chance with your gun, go ahead but don't be surprised at what you get.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
GunnyGene said:
22/45 Fan said:
AFAIK, there is no .380 +P

Yeah, there is :) : http://www.underwoodammo.com/380acp.aspx
OK, let me rephrase that. AFAIK, there is no SAAMI definition of .380+P the way there is for 9mm +P and .38 Special +P. Without that certification, +P can be anything the maker wants to sell you and you have no idea what you are buying. If you want to take the chance with your gun, go ahead but don't be surprised at what you get.[/quote]

Ok, I'll accept that. :) I do use Underwood ammo tho, and it is very good stuff. Never had a problem with it. :)

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Gunny, the PK380 operator's manual says no to +P+ and that +P "may require more frequent service."

For a semi-auto, I'd recommend the PK380. I and my son each have one and I plan on getting one for my 77 year old Mom.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
My buddy's wife was very interested in the SR9c. I showed her my SR9c and after trying to rack the slide, she decided it was not for her. She ended up with the SR22.

jmfc606

Single-Sixer
When she is ready to purchase a 9mm go to some gun shops or a gun range that rents guns and have her feel every compact 9 she can. Have her try all the controls and do the required functions like racking, loading the mag, etc. That's really the only way to get one that is good for her.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
jmfc606 said:
When she is ready to purchase a 9mm go to some gun shops or a gun range that rents guns and have her feel every compact 9 she can. Have her try all the controls and do the required functions like racking, loading the mag, etc. That's really the only way to get one that is good for her.

I know. That's part of the reason for the SR22. This wasn't my first rodeo. We've been hitched for 42 years. :)