SR9C for Xmas?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sargents1

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Pretend I'm a 68 yo woman with rather small hands and arthritis and considering getting a 9mm compact pistol. There's a lot to like about the SR9C, including the ability to use 17rd mags. I'd like to know of any negative issues (feed, extract, finish, etc.) anyone has experienced with the SR9C, as well as opinion regarding carry, racking the slide, and felt recoil.

Would the SR9C be a suitable carry gun for me?

I have a sr9c and it has a fairly stiff recoil spring. I forget what the rating is exactly, but it is stiffer than my Glock 20 w the 22lb spring (at least it feels it to me).

Kick is a bit snappy.

I would say look at the walther pk380 as an alternative.

Its hard to make a good recommendation without knowing the person firsthand.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I own an sr9c and ive been trying to talk my mom into getting/owning a handgun for years so 1 day she decided she at least wanted to try to shoot a handgun I took my sr9c and my lcp for her to try my mom is 61 yrs old and could handle the sr9c fairly well and didn't do to bad with accuracy at self defence distances. I don't recall if I left her work the slide though if I remember right I loaded it for her , racked the slide and put it on safe then handed it to her to shoot. as for the lcp it damn near flipped up out of her hand so that was out . as for problems with the sr9c I had some light strike issues with it when it was new , I sent it back to ruger once got it back nothing changed . so I added the galoway striker spring it helped but problem didn't completely go away . I load all my own ammo and later realized it was an issue with the primers in the reloaded ammo and not a prob with the gun . I used to use a hand primer for all my rounds. I bought an rcbs bench mounted priming tool from a local shop and started using it for my 9mm rounds and the prob went away . my sr9c is primer sensitive if primer isn't seated absolutely 1,000,000 % perfect it wont fire the round , will just click. for ccw im a revolver guy for the most part I like my s&w airweight 38+p or if I don't feel like messing with it that day i'll throw my lcp in my pocket .I think if I didn't own the 38 I would carry the sr9c

RussG

Bearcat
Love my SR9C and my wife (61 years young) with weak hands.. has a hard time racking the slide.
So she loves my Sig p238.. and finds it a true ladies semi.