Opinion of My New LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
I have been looking at the LC9 since they came out,
well I went and done it I purchased one.
This is my opinion of my LC9 quick and dirty.

1) Well made, quality is very good.
2) Before I left the indoor range where I purchased it
I took it out of the box, no cleaning, and fired 100 rounds
through it 50 rounds of Winchester and 50 rounds of reloads.
3) No failures of any type, 100% reliable.
4) DAO trigger very good.
5) Accuracy at 10yds for 14 rounds 4.3"
6) Do I like the LC9? yes, will I carry it? time will tell.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Blackhawk47 said:

All good info, but this is the thing I think will stand out the most to customers and probably the most wanted and needed improvement. This may put the LC9 back in the game since the trigger is a deal breaker for so many.

Again, a little tiny pistol. The trigger's got a lot going on while also compressing a heavy spring that is required with a tiny little gun. Ya know, when I hear the constant complaints of any DA trigger, I just want to suggest that these folks get some firearms training and experience, so maybe they can understand there's no free ride.

Too many times I suspect folks are comparing a DA trigger to a SA trigger and not understanding why the DA pull is so much longer and heavier.

Blackhawk47, I agree with you. These triggers are doing everything they are designed to do, and they do it well.

WAYNO.

jnichols2

Bearcat
Blackhawk47 said:
5) Accuracy at 10yds for 14 rounds 4.3"

It took me 300 rounds to get used to it enough to do 4" at 7 yards.

However; I consider 6" to be lethal combat accuracy, so I'm happy with the gun.

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
I have other pistols that are DAO also I have a SW K38 that I have shot DA for many years, it did not take long to get accustom to the LC9's DAO trigger. Took my wife out today and she shot 50 rounds through it, now she wants one.

revhigh

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
Too many times I suspect folks are comparing a DA trigger to a SA trigger and not understanding why the DA pull is so much longer and heavier.

Understanding something and/or having training doesn't change the fact that the triggers in these things are detrimental to good shooting. There are greatly varying degrees of DAO triggers. If 4-6 inch groups at 7 yards is the best that a gun will do in most people's hands because of the trigger .... That trigger is not 'good', and in an adrenaline packed self defense situation, the results would only be worse.

REV

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
revhigh said:
WAYNO said:

Understanding something and/or having training doesn't change the fact that the triggers in these things are detrimental to good shooting. There are greatly varying degrees of DAO triggers. If 4-6 inch groups at 7 yards is the best that a gun will do in most people's hands because of the trigger .... That trigger is not 'good', and in an adrenaline packed self defense situation, the results would only be worse.

REV

Well REV this is your opinion, training does make a difference a big different is the use of DAO triggers. People need to understand the LC9 is not a target pistol it main design is that of self-defense nothing more, and any group 4" and below at 10Yds out of a pistol like this (light weight, easy to conceal and shoot, DAO) can easily put rounds into center mass. As far as an adrenaline packed self-defense situation you can have a Colt Gold Cup in your hands and the results would be the same, confusion, heavy breathing, and hoping you get off the round that counts and stops whatever first.

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
Blackhawk47 said:

All good info, but this is the thing I think will stand out the most to customers and probably the most wanted and needed improvement. This may put the LC9 back in the game since the trigger is a deal breaker for so many.

Rei40c, what would you like to see as an LC9 trigger improvement? a 1911 type SA, Glock type or just refine the LC9 DAO. Most people I talk to, encluding my wife, like the LC9's DAO trigger but for some they add takes shooting the pistol a lot to get a feel for it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Blackhawk47 said:
revhigh said:
WAYNO said:

REV

As far as an adrenaline packed self-defense situation you can have a Colt Gold Cup in your hands and the results would be the same

You can't be serious .... you're saying that you couldn't shoot any better in a rapid fire situation with a gun that had a better trigger ... Whether it's DA or SA ? Seriously ?

No matter the situation ... range or SD ... A better trigger should yield better results ...

Shoot an LC9 and then a Sig, CZ, Beretta, or Walther DAO, and see if the results are the same. All DA triggers are not created equally. Not by a long shot.

REV

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Not a fan of DAO triggers --at all---not even the somewhat decent ones that Smith had on its all metal guns.

Only one I ever purchased was a LCP and I dumped that within a month

Ruger should come out with a single stack SR9c for those of us that can't stand a horrible trigger.

Congrats on the new gun since it seems to be working for you.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Blackhawk47 said:
Rei40c said:
Blackhawk47 said:
Most people I talk to, encluding my wife, like the LC9's DAO trigger but for some they add takes shooting the pistol a lot to get a feel for it.

If that's the case, I'm guessing that 'most of those people' that you're talking to have very little experience with other DAO triggers.

Hey ... They are what they are ... Cheap plastic carry guns designed to be shot a little and carried a lot. That's fine ... But to say that their trigger is 'very good' is simply not accurate when compared to other DAO pistols on the market, and even less accurate when compared to all other triggers in general. That's why there's so many aftermarket manufacturers concentrating on that exact area ... The trigger.

Only problem is ... Once again ... By the time you add the extra money upgrading the trigger to make it acceptable to many users .... to your original gun cost ... You could have just bought a better gun in the first place with a better trigger out of the box.

It's funny how people will price shop for weeks ... Comparing guns, dealers, etc etc for the best price, and then after they buy the gun they proceed to throw more money at the gun trying to overcome its issues ... And they never even think that they could have had the better gun ... if only they had added the extra money BEFORE buying rather than AFTER buying.

REV

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
You can't be serious .... you're saying that you couldn't shoot any better in a rapid fire situation with a gun that had a better trigger ... Whether it's DA or SA ? Seriously ?

No matter the situation ... range or SD ... A better trigger should yield better results ...

Shoot an LC9 and then a Sig, CZ, Beretta, or Walther DAO, and see if the results are the same. All DA triggers are not created equally. Not by a long shot.
REV[/quote]

You bet I'm serious, if you think you have a better chance in a life or death situation just because a certain pistol has a somewhat better trigger just talk to all the LEOs that have been shot in a shootout by someone with a cheap Saturday night special.
I have shot three different LC9s and have the same opinion, very good fit and finish, DAO trigger and capable of putting all round in center mass, is it a cheap plastic pistol NO it is not.
As for the pistol brands you named I own pistols made by three of those companies, no CZ.

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
If that's the case, I'm guessing that 'most of those people' that you're talking to have very little experience with other DAO triggers.

Hey ... They are what they are ... Cheap plastic carry guns designed to be shot a little and carried a lot. That's fine ... But to say that their trigger is 'very good' is simply not accurate when compared to other DAO pistols on the market, and even less accurate when compared to all other triggers in general. That's why there's so many aftermarket manufacturers concentrating on that exact area ... The trigger.

Only problem is ... Once again ... By the time you add the extra money upgrading the trigger to make it acceptable to many users .... to your original gun cost ... You could have just bought a better gun in the first place with a better trigger out of the box.

It's funny how people will price shop for weeks ... Comparing guns, dealers, etc etc for the best price, and then after they buy the gun they proceed to throw more money at the gun trying to overcome its issues ... And they never even think that they could have had the better gun ... if only they had added the extra money BEFORE buying rather than AFTER buying.

REV[/quote]

Some are very experience some not so much some just getting started. I think the best information come from people just getting started. As for redoing a trigger I dont believe in that, if you want a match grade firearm you buy one. I purchased the LC9 for one thing a light weight CCW of good quality that will put rounds into center mass, and it does do that.

e3mrk

Bearcat
I bought a replacement trigger bar and it really helped, Here is the link.

http://gallowayprecision.com/home.php

revhigh

Hawkeye
e3mrk said:
I bought a replacement trigger bar and it really helped, Here is the link.

http://gallowayprecision.com/home.php

Helped what ? The LC9 already has a very good trigger ! :mrgreen:

REV

Now you guys are pushing me too far. :wink:

I will never go so far as to say it has a very good trigger. I will continue to say the trigger works as designed, and that's very acceptable to me in this type and size of gun.

WAYNO.

e3mrk

Bearcat
The new Trigger Bar cuts the Trigger pull by about 35%,At least that's what They claim,I can tell You from Personal experience that it does cut the Travel and makes it easier for People with large Hands to fire.

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
Now you guys are pushing me too far. :wink:

I will never go so far as to say it has a very good trigger. I will continue to say the trigger works as designed, and that's very acceptable to me in this type and size of gun.

WAYNO.[/quote

I do understand what you are saying and I agree, I think my very good statement is being mis-understood. I'm not comparing it to say a Kimber Gold Match 1911, Colt Gold Cup, or other top of the
line pistols I'm just comparing the trigger on my LC9 to other DAO light weight CCW in it price range.
"The trigger works as designed, and that's very acceptable to me in this type and size of gun".

bada61265

Single-Sixer
well personally i love the lc9, i did so right off the bat. I dry fired the gun at the lgs before i bought it, unlike some who apparently were surprised by the trigger after the fact. I appreciate that some cant manage a DA trigger and would opt for a striker fired or SA pistol over a da like the lc9. Please take the time to pull the trigger at the gun shop before buying and then feeling the need to come online and post rants about how bad it is.That would of saved the majority of the trigger controversy imo. The Gun is not inacurrate, i shot a 22 swinging target, 5 plates and a reset at 7 yards without reloading, now i have a dented up rimfire target..lol . I have gone to the Galloway trigger bar, it makes a difference thats appreciated with larger hands. I like how this pocket pistol works and feel secure knowing its not likely to go off in my pocket when drawing it because its trigger was too light. I can understand also that many think there seeing results at the range they would see in a gun fight. sorry if that couldnt be more wrong i am not shure what could be. IMO in a gunfight your not thinking about the trigger pull or how well your grouping on target. its all about practice and muscle memory. id recommend removing the mag disconnect to allow for dry fire practice. Ill grant you wont want to go to the range and shoot 200 rounds with the lc9, but its not a range gun. its a very compact ergonomical no horns pocket pistol. im surprised at how much stuff got negative on it actually. who knew so many wanted a pistol of this type for weekend target shoots?