Opinion of My New LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bada61265

Single-Sixer
BTW i have also heard that Ruger is going to release a couple striker fired versions of the lc9. im all for it, will finally get the lc9 haters to pipe down.

modrifle3

Buckeye
The LC9 has a terrible trigger and that is a fact. Also the quality of a weapon determines its performance whether at the range or self defense. LEOs are no judge of how a well trained person reacts. Most officers can't shoot that we'll, never practice and rarely use their weapons. In fact a good portion of enthusiast are better weapons handlers than police. I have ex SF friends that could put two between your eyes while you we're shooting at them. Training is far more important than the weapon, but start with a good one.

area338

Bearcat
revhigh said:
e3mrk said:
I bought a replacement trigger bar and it really helped, Here is the link.

http://gallowayprecision.com/home.php

Helped what ? The LC9 already has a very good trigger ! :mrgreen:

REV
I put a 35% reduction trigger bar and spring in my LC9. I am happy with the $35.00 bucks I spent on this kit. I did get a benefit from this trigger bar in that it eliminated the slight bit of creep and the end of the trigger pull. Now let me say that I was happy enough with the trigger pull before the kit was installed but this made enough of an improvement to be worth it for me. A very good pistol either way IMO. :!: :mrgreen:

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
modrifle3 said:
The LC9 has a terrible trigger and that is a fact. Also the quality of a weapon determines its performance whether at the range or self defense. LEOs are no judge of how a well trained person reacts. Most officers can't shoot that we'll, never practice and rarely use their weapons. In fact a good portion of enthusiast are better weapons handlers than police. I have ex SF friends that could put two between your eyes while you we're shooting at them. Training is far more important than the weapon, but start with a good one.

modrifle3 - Do you own and/or have you shot an LC9?
I say again and will keep saying the DAO trigger on the LC9 is very good, I never said its trigger is as good as say a Match Grade 1911, Colt Python, or any pistols like that.
As far as a carry weapon it does not make any different at all if said weapon can place two bullets one inch apart center mass or four inches and under center mass dead is dead, the only aspect to this equation is reliability so far my LC9 after 275 rounds is 100% reliability. The LC9 has everything I was looking for, light weight CCW that shoots a round with enough power to put down a man, DAO trigger that allows you to place rounds on target up to 10Yds with groups that are 4" or better and be 100% reliable, this be the LC9.

bada61265 said:
well personally i love the lc9, i did so right off the bat. I dry fired the gun at the lgs before i bought it, unlike some who apparently were surprised by the trigger after the fact. I appreciate that some cant manage a DA trigger and would opt for a striker fired or SA pistol over a da like the lc9. Please take the time to pull the trigger at the gun shop before buying and then feeling the need to come online and post rants about how bad it is.That would of saved the majority of the trigger controversy imo. The Gun is not inacurrate, i shot a 22 swinging target, 5 plates and a reset at 7 yards without reloading, now i have a dented up rimfire target..lol . I have gone to the Galloway trigger bar, it makes a difference thats appreciated with larger hands. I like how this pocket pistol works and feel secure knowing its not likely to go off in my pocket when drawing it because its trigger was too light. I can understand also that many think there seeing results at the range they would see in a gun fight. sorry if that couldnt be more wrong i am not shure what could be. IMO in a gunfight your not thinking about the trigger pull or how well your grouping on target. its all about practice and muscle memory. id recommend removing the mag disconnect to allow for dry fire practice. Ill grant you wont want to go to the range and shoot 200 rounds with the lc9, but its not a range gun. its a very compact ergonomical no horns pocket pistol. im surprised at how much stuff got negative on it actually. who knew so many wanted a pistol of this type for weekend target shoots?

+1 I love my LC9 as well and find it to be dependable and very accurate. As far as the trigger goes, I do not mind the long trigger pull at all. After all, years ago all I shot were revolvers, so the LC9 is not a problem for me. My hands are small and this little pistol suits me to a tee. I do not understand some comments here calling it a "cheap plastic" pistol. I think it says more about the one making the comment than the gun itself, but that is just my opinion. :)

modrifle3

Buckeye
Yes I have put about 100rds through one and it is better than the lcp but not by much. I could learn to be proficient with it but saw no point. As I have said before there are better options. I am glad you like yours but having shot far better weapons I would never carry one, partly because the weapon doesn't fit my hand. It is a good cheap little gun, however I question its reliability as I do most ruger semi autos now. The pseries was the last semi auto line ruger made I trust.

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
modrifle3 said:
Yes I have put about 100rds through one and it is better than the lcp but not by much. I could learn to be proficient with it but saw no point. As I have said before there are better options. I am glad you like yours but having shot far better weapons I would never carry one, partly because the weapon doesn't fit my hand. It is a good cheap little gun, however I question its reliability as I do most ruger semi autos now. The pseries was the last semi auto line ruger made I trust.

I take it you own or have owned an LC9 and an LCP? What CCW did you replace it with and what type of reliability issues did you experience with ruger pistols...........Thanks Blackhawk47

modrifle3

Buckeye
I almost bought the lc9 but rented one instead. After about 100rds I realized it wasn't for me. I use to carry a Glock 19 and foolishly sold it. That is about as small of a gun as I will carry. I currently carry a xd9. Not sure what I would carry if I needed a deep cover carry weapon. Most likely the Bersa or Sig Sauer .380 if the price were not an issue. I am old school and still prefer metal frames and a hammer?

I have never had a p series not go bang or not function, I never intend to own any of the sr series because I already have xds and glocks, but I hear way to much about their issues to trust one. My SR1911 was nice but got traded for a range officer. The RO is better built in my opinion.

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
My experience with and opinion of my LC9 is similar to the OP. Blackhawk, thanks for sharing your experience. That said, I can't leave well enough alone. I did price shop and have more than spent any savings on upgrades, partly because I thought it would improve the performance and mostly because I like to tinker.

I chose the LC9 based on the following personal list of specifications:

Sub-compact 9mm semi-auto
American-made
DAO trigger to allow carry with the safety off (if it had a safety)
Record of reliability
"Combat" accuracy
Reasonably comfortable to shoot so I'd practice with it

I didn't set a price point, but I am "frugal" and did mostly look at the more reasonably priced guns. With this list, I didn't find a better choice than the LC9 but didn't shoot everything out there. What might we have selected that would better this fulfill this list?

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
After learning and shooting and carrying a Colt Detective 38 Special Snubby revolver for years the trigger on the LC-9 is not even close to being any kind of issue, If you have a history with a revolver pay no attention to the trigger statements on a Ruger LC-9 in any forum,bottom Line.