LEOs going back to 9mm?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yawn

Blackhawk
Look at Meek's quote of taz at the top... the energy for both calibers are similar. A 45 round is decidedly slower, which has always been one on the benefits to the 9mm round. Having said that, it is not twice the velocity of the 45; yet the 45 is twice the grain mass and is a bigger bore in size. I love my 9mm, especially for how many rounds I can carry, and how fast it is... the 9mm is a more versatile and inexpensive round compared to the 45. LEO's do encounter multiple shooters/targets, so round count is important. But, a direct and unobstructed hit to a person with a 45 ACP round will do more damage than the same hit with a 9mm. Simple physics. Through cars and walls, well... that was the problem with a 45... it's beasty size with slower velocity precludes it a bit in those situations. My brothers agency will allow a 45ACp to be carried, but they have to go through special training for it.

The 10mm was the answer too the 9mm being too small and the 45 being too slow. But, people couldn't handle the 10mm, so they created the 40sw. Law enforcement is looking at the specks (real world and testing) of the 40sw and realizing that the extra cost per round is not supported by the results of those tests. The 40 just doesn't give the extra umph to warrant the extra cash. So, back to the 9 (and the 45) folks go. Frankly, if I were inserting myself into the very worst situations that my town had to offer, I would work very hard to become a sharp shooter with a Colt Delta Elite 10MM. I think law enforcement should be able to carry what they want in the modern common caliber.

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
Bottom Line ,If You can throw a hand size rock and Hit a Lethal Area on the human body the threat will cease!! Just sayin!

Yawn

Blackhawk
that's the point though... which caliber is best for "hitting a lethal area" accurately as much as possible. Is it how wide of a round for maximum surface area to increase lethal area odds, how fast/punch of a round to get through things in the way of lethal areas (like clothing and ribs), or what is the best combination based on how well people shoot/recover and carry? Then some even take into account how many assailants they may encounter, so round count carried comes into play. If I could get to the lethal area every time (even most of the time) with a 10MM, I certainly would carry one. But, I know that I can't... I can with a 45ACP, and may switch to that round... but for now I haven't seen enough difference to warrant the funds to make the switch.

Eventually I will probably have both... but the current standard 40SW load certainly doesn't have enough difference to make the difference for me!