LC9 Barrel Crack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chimneybob

Bearcat
Has anyone had trouble with the barrel of their LC9 cracking in line with the take down pin? If so, how did you -or Ruger- handle it?

Al James

Hunter
I assume this happened to yours? If so call Ruger in the morning and they will get you fixed up. Factory ammo? Pictures?

modrifle3

Buckeye
All jokes aside, I would have it fixed and trade it for an SR9c or a compact of a different manufacture. You also maybe able to get Ruger to let you upgrade to the SR9c for around $30 if you complain enough. I know they do have an upgrade policy because I have used it before.

The LC series has not lived up to expectations in my opinion. Like many I longed for an LC9 and finally got the chance to spend range time with the LCP and the LC9. It did not take long for me to appreciate the fact I did not buy on. There are so many better option for deep cover carry. Although I still worry about quality control issues the SR was a very nice shooting pistol. My biggest gripe is the poly Ruger uses as i prefer the Glock Springfield type compound, but all in all the SR9c is nice. Far better than the LC9. I was going to originally get the SR40c, but have once again decided not to venture any farther into the 40sw arena.

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
Sorry to hijack this, but I just don't get it.

I have an LC9 and an SR9 and like both very much after over 1000 rounds through both. Because I like them and still have them, I spend time on this board because there is a lot of good information. Are they perfect - no - but there is not a product on the market that is perfect for everyone. Are there better products available - probably - depends on your definition of "better". As an engineer, I am a fan of "works for me". Do I own other brands - yes - and like pets I like them all (only had to get rid of one that just didn't work).

What I don't get is the group that professes to have "loved and lost" and even "never have loved at all" a Ruger and yet they stay on the board, mostly to point out to people like me who like their Rugers just how wrong we are. No offense, but my boss does that well enough, thank you very much.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
After about 700 rounds my LC9 is still running perfect, like it so well that i got wife a LC380. For CC and range shooting i like the SR pistols better, but for CC in warm weather the LC9 is a great little pistol.

George

Blackhawk
Yep me and the wife both have LC9's but she decided to get a LCP ( I suggested a LC.380 to her) But you know once they get there mind set on something!She got the LCP and it's really a nice little gun.. I'm thinking about one too.. I have no issue with recoil at all.. I would imagine that the LC.380 has a really light recoil and is sweet to shoot.. My wife thought that the LCP she picked up would be lighter in recoil do to the smaller caliber and size. I told her Not really!!! She has not shot it yet..George

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
LC380 is really sweet to shoot, low recoil, easy to rack slide and really accurate. I like the LC9 when it is too warm to CC my SR40c, but when nothing else will work i have found the LCP to handy to have, they are all 100% dependable and well built.

George

Blackhawk
cjs1945,
Ya I have to see if I can find a LC.380 to shoot. My wife has terrible arthritis in her wrists along with tendonitis so the LC9 is very painful to shoot for her.. She has not shot her LCP yet but she does like it's size and hopes it will be easer on her then the LC9.. I think the LC.380 may be her ticket! Thanks! George

modrifle3

Buckeye
Kudos to every one who loves theirs, if it works for you keep it. This was a discussion about the failure of a major part in the pistol. If the design is right a barrel crack means very poor metal in the barrel, if it was not a metal issue than a very poor design. I am not carrying one for many of the noted reasons, but that is my choice. It is well know I am no fan of tiny guns although they have their uses. I am a long time Ruger fan and owner but their plastic pistol era leaves much to be desired. I simply suggested the sr9c was a better more reliable option.

Skinnedknuckles said:
Sorry to hijack this, but I just don't get it.

I have an LC9 and an SR9 and like both very much after over 1000 rounds through both. Because I like them and still have them, I spend time on this board because there is a lot of good information. Are they perfect - no - but there is not a product on the market that is perfect for everyone. Are there better products available - probably - depends on your definition of "better". As an engineer, I am a fan of "works for me". Do I own other brands - yes - and like pets I like them all (only had to get rid of one that just didn't work).

What I don't get is the group that professes to have "loved and lost" and even "never have loved at all" a Ruger and yet they stay on the board, mostly to point out to people like me who like their Rugers just how wrong we are. No offense, but my boss does that well enough, thank you very much.

+1 I am with you Skinnedknuckles, I could not have said it better. I also get tired of some comments about how bad the design is or how poor the material is in the LC9. I guarantee there are MANY more folks that like the LC9 than don't like 'em, hence the great number sold. As with anything else man made, there are faults or issues that do happen---as in a cracked barrel, etc. This is the FIRST post I have seen of a cracked barrel, so I really doubt it is a "bad design" problem--more like defective material. Defective material has occured in almost everything made in large numbers sooner or later I would bet. What happened here is most assuredly the exception rather than the rule. Like you say Skinnedknuckles, we like ours and hate to hear from those how wrong we are to like them. No offense at all to those that don't like them and don't want them, but as they say I'll gladly keep mine thanks. You don't gotta buy one if you don't wanna.... :)