sr9c let me down

Help Support Ruger Forum:

timboy

Bearcat
I had a advanced pistol training class on Tuesday for unrestricted cc and my Ruger let me down.
After a break in period when new a few years back this thing had been flawless,feeding and firing anything I threw at,as recently as a few weeks ago.
The gun would not go fully into battery on follow up shots it would reach about 1/8" or so from the slide being fully forward and jam,racking the slide to clear the jam is very difficult.
I did some no firing runs with it last night loading and cycling the slide with different brands of ammo,different factory magazines and it would do the same though not every time.
Any ideas,I am really let down as I had to rush home and grab my xd to finish the class with,luckily the instructors were very understanding.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
I can think of several possibilites but without the weapon in my hands it seems to me the best advice would be this. Do a field strip of the weapon and then carefully and thoroughly inspect every detail. If you detect no problem then CAREFULLY AND THOROUGHLY clean, lube, and CAREFULLY reassemble the weapon being absolutely sure you'e doing everything correctly. Now, using the same brand/type ammo you were using in the training class when you experienced the failures, run a magazine full downrange. Problem? Take the weapon to an expert or, better yet, CALL RUGER. No problem? Run a couple hundred more rounds downrange. Still no problem? Problem solved!

Still a problem??? CALL RUGER.

Matter of curiousity ... have you modified the weapon in any manner?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Were you using the same exact ammo ? If not, it's possible the new ammo's bullet was hitting the rifling, and preventing the slide from going into battery. This will also cause it to be tough to rack the slide to clear the jam.

REV

noquarter

Single-Sixer
Try replacing the recoil spring / guide rod assembly. You can get them from Ruger parts for $5 ea. Replacing it fixed mine from doing that (around 4000 rounds when it started). These springs take a beating because of the short travel / high load they are operating with. When they lose their oomph they can't give the slide enough momentum to return to battery. I keep a couple of spares and replace as needed.

I think a symptom of their getting weak is when you correctly position the spring on the barrel lug and find it has slipped off the flat mount of the lug when you later clean the gun. I think it gets weak and can't stay with the bbl during recoil and slips down.

timboy

Bearcat
I have tried to cycle rounds from a new pack(the one I brought to the class) and some from the last time the gun worked fine and the results are the same.
The gun has had the mag diso removed and a ghost trigger bar installed both of which were done at least 300 rounds ago with no issues.
I would say round count is under 400 so I would hope the recoil springs are not the cause,short life span.

timboy

Bearcat
Follow up,it appears to only bother with the tul ammo,I just hand cycled it and three other brands of ammo at least 30 times each and the other brands spit through fine,really weird because the tul from the same 100 rd pack had worked before.
Oh well I'll just see if my father Beretta will cycle the tul ammo and trade it for something he has.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
timboy said:
The gun would not go fully into battery on follow up shots it would reach about 1/8" or so from the slide being fully forward and jam,racking the slide to clear the jam is very difficult.

Is this only with the Tulammo jammed? If racking the slide with a round in is generally difficult you've identified another problem with the pistol you don't want to have under stress.

timboy

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
timboy said:

Is this only with the Tulammo jammed? If racking the slide with a round in is generally difficult you've identified another problem with the pistol you don't want to have under stress.
I have only had the problem with this tulammo,its really odd though because I have put a few 50 rd boxes of it through the gun,the only difference is this stuff is in the 100 round plastic "jars" two packs,same problem.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Was it the same Tulammo as in the past? The Russians make a wide variety of ammo types with both brass or steel cases. The steel cases are usually lacquered and the heat of firing can cause the lacquer to come off on the chamber walls and gum up the action.

It was nice to hear your problem was ammo related, not an inherent SR9c problem.

timboy

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Was it the same Tulammo as in the past? The Russians make a wide variety of ammo types with both brass or steel cases. The steel cases are usually lacquered and the heat of firing can cause the lacquer to come off on the chamber walls and gum up the action.

It was nice to hear your problem was ammo related, not an inherent SR9c problem.
Yup same stuff brass case same type and weight just packaged differently.
I was very glad to find out it was ammo related as I really like the gun,I passed up more expensive pistols to purchase it due to ergonomics and having a few other Rugers in the stable.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I'm a little surprised your SR9c may be ammo sensitive. Mine will eat anything I throw at it. Granted, I have never run any Tulammo through it. When my buddy and I were developing loads for our 9s, he would frequently bring me a handful of loads that would not run in his G19. I never had any problems with any of them.

Sounds very similar to the problem I recently started a thread about on my sr40c. After firing a round it "almost" loaded another round, stopping with the slide about 1/4 inch from fully forward, and I could not budge the slide in either direction. After finally clearing the round (I regret that I did not examine it closer for any damage that might have caused the problem), I was able to fire several dozen rounds without an issue. I am hoping that it was a defective round rather than anything with the gun itself. If it happens again to me I plan on contacting Ruger for help. I so want this gun to be really reliable and serve as a concealed carry weapon.

SR Fan

Bearcat
I had a problem with my SR40c not fully chambering a round and sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it but it was Still somewhat new at the time with a few hundred rounds when the problem first started.

Bruiser

Single-Sixer
SR Fan said:
I had a problem with my SR40c not fully chambering a round and sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it but it was Still somewhat new at the time with a few hundred rounds when the problem first started.

I had that when I first bought my SR9c. Right from the start. Sent it to Ruger after 300 rounds, got it back, and have never had a problem since. They said somethign was wrong with the trigger assembly, replaced the whole thing.

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:cry: Tula ammo can be touch or go. I had never tried it until a buddy gave me most of a box because it gave his Browning Hi-Power fits. My SR9c ate it flawlessly, but it is all stock. I will use it for practice ammo but wouldn't trust it for self defense, qualifying, or competition. It's OK for target practice but I wouldn't risk my life or a $10 bet on it, especially the lacquer coated stuff.
Cape Cod Terry :roll: