P90 Shooting well but low......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I finally had a chance to shoot my new acquisition this morning. The group was good but very low on the target, about ten inches at ten yards. I assume I will need to replace the rear sight with a taller one? Yes, I have experience with semi auto pistols. My sight picture is correct. I just love the P90 and the way it functions. Will Ruger have the taller rear sight I need? Dave

revhigh

Hawkeye
It's very unlikely you need new sights. Let someone else who you know is a good shot shoot it. Ruger's been making these things for 20 years ... They know what sights work.

If I only had a dime for everybody who told me their sights were wrong, but when I shot their gun the sights were dead on perfect.

10 inches out at 10 yards isn't the sights ... It's either the sight picture being used or flinching at the time the shot goes off.

REV

jamesray59

Bearcat
revhigh said:
It's very unlikely you need new sights. Let someone else who you know is a good shot shoot it. Ruger's been making these things for 20 years ... They know what sights work.

If I only had a dime for everybody who told me their sights were wrong, but when I shot their gun the sights were dead on perfect.

10 inches out at 10 yards isn't the sights ... It's either the sight picture being used or flinching at the time the shot goes off.

REV
Good comment here.
People flinch or even close their eyes in anticipation of the recoil.
Take the time to pay attention to your actions.
Control breathing, keep a strong wrist and pull the trigger as you have exhaled.
Dont worry about the target until you control your actions before the shot.

Practice and patience will pay off.
Good luck

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Boy, you guys must not read my post! I am an experienced pistol shooter. I had no trouble qualifying as expert in all competitions. I wasn't asking for advise regarding flinching or , heaven forbid, closing my eyes when shooting. I contacted the former owner and he admitted having the same experience, although he never mentioned it until I asked. In fact he said he used to put up two targets....one over the other and shoot the top one to print his shots on the bottom one. I carried a pistol for thirty years with my work. I really wanted to know where to buy a higher rear sight or, if available, an adjustable rear sight. Thanks for the replies. David

revhigh

Hawkeye
If the gun is that bad, I'd send it back to Ruger to be fixed.

REV

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Rev, wish I could do that. It is impossible since 9-11 to send any restricted firearm from Canada to the USA. You guys are so lucky to have access to the Ruger factory technicians. First I would have to find the parts and then try to find a business which would ship them here. It is perfectly legal to ship all parts except for the receivers from USA to Canada but the big dealers won't. So, I am still wondering where I could find a rear sight which would solve the problem. Certainly not in Canada. Oh yes, if I wanted to wait six months and pay three times the price I could order through a dealer here. Dave

pyth0n

Buckeye
Just a start, but a couple sites with adjustable sights. Call or e-mail Ruger (Prescott) They may have a taller rear sight.
http://www.lpasights.com/en/products?page=shop.browse&manufacturer_id=22&vmcchk=1
https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=Ruger+P90+Rear+sights&sa=Search#q=adjustable+rear+sights+for+ruger+p90
https://www.google.com/search?q=adjustable+rear+sights+for+ruger+p90&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=742TUoraJIzyoASmwoDwBg&ved=0CGQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=684

bwraven

Bearcat
I will second calling Ruger. I have a Mini-14 that had a similar issue. Called Ruger, and they sent me (on their dime) a new rear sight aperture assembly.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
That would all be well and good except........if I call Ruger everything goes just fine until I tell them I am in Canada! Then they inform me that I have to go through their representative here. So, I call them and everything is a two month wait and $$$$$. None of Ruger service or parts are free here. So much for the great Ruger service you guys get. So, I will wait until I am in the USA for my two month winter hiatus and will contact Ruger then. A sad commentary on a lawful hobby made difficult by stupid regulations. Dave

roylt

Hunter
If you come to the US for the winter do you have a US address? When you call Ruger you can have them ship to the US address. Or maybe a neighbor of yours in the US.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
.......So, I will wait until I am in the USA for my two month winter hiatus and will contact Ruger then. A sad commentary on a lawful hobby made difficult by stupid regulations. Dave..........yes, I have an address at that point. There is nothing illegal about exporting or importing a rear sight. US businesses got sick of the hassles with export so they took the easy way out and refuse to send anything internationally. Not all but enough!

My P90 also shoots low, which is to say: with the target at 7 yards, mine shoots low, I have to hold at least 4" high to put the bullet in the bullseye.

My guess is that the sights are designed (i.e., bullseye'd) for a target which is further away. I'm presuming/assuming that at only 7 yards the bullet is still climbing in it's designed trajectory.

Cheers,

Carl

modrifle3

Buckeye
Sadly like most all p guns there are no parts left for the p90s so any barrel or slide change is not going to be an option by Ruger any way. Find a VERY good local gun smith to check it out. It sounds like the barrel is locking with the barrel hood to high in the slide. Angling the barrel down. You may try replacing the barrel link.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear about your P90 troubles.

One thing that has not been mentioned is bullet weight. What weight bullet are you shooting?

If it is a lighter one (185 or 200), try some 230's. Lighter bullets generally hit lower on the target than heavier ones, or at least that has been my experience.

If you reload, you might even try some 250's. My favorite 45 ACP load these days actually uses a 250 gr flat point from Ranier. Although they are "truncated cones" in shape, they feed well in my various 45 ACP semi-autos.

w3nrl

Bearcat
I HAD the same problem of my Ruger p-90 was shooting low so i sent the p-90 back to Ruger and they checked the gun out and said this is in perfect condition and they shoot the gun and sent me the target. At that point i figured it was me and so it was now after some practice and seeing what i was doing wrong and made some corrections and now at from 7-15 yards i put them in the bull at 21-on out i get from 1 1/2 - 3 inches groups
Now that was my problem it may not be yours

Have fun keep shooting