How do you carry your pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

plgbear

Bearcat
I have searched and I don't come up with any ideas of how some people carry their pistols with regards to being "cocked and locked". I have an SR9C and really like it. I shoot well with it, and it is very concealable. The question is do you carry yours cocked and locked with the slide lock, or do you carry it just cocked and rely on the trigger safety?

I'm a safety nut, and it is not too much trouble to release the slide lock from my holster when I draw it. But something tells me that just having the trigger safety should be enough.

This question relates to the 9, the 40, and the 45. I have the SR1911, and I would carry it in this configuration, but it is too heavy for me. I presently carry a S&W 642, 38 revolver, it is light and can fit in your pocket very easily. I want to start carrying my 9mm and I was just curious as to what others think or do. I appreciate any coments!

Thanks

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I bought an SOB holster from "the holster store" and wear it daily. sometimes use it crossdraw, mostly small of the back, it works either way. have been well satisfied with the product and the little snot was not expensive at all.
the number one most important safety is between my ears.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Depends on the situation, my surroundings, or where I anticipate being. Generally the safety is on. But there are times I will click it off for awhile. This has been my practice for decades.

To perhaps add some background to the above statements, I once had a Glock 4O cal. Great gun. HOWEVER I could NEVER feel comfortable carrying that Glock with one in the tube and no manual safety. I read all the tests the Glock had been subjected to and intellecually I "knew" the gun was safe to carry with one in the tube ... but psycologically I never felt safe carrying with one in the tube. Go figure!

If I can't feel absolutely 100% safe then the gun isn't for me. But that's just me. Some years later I was in a gun shop and ask to see a SR9C. BINGO!! Everything about the SR9C screamed take me home daddy! And that's what I did and that SR9C, after breaking in, has been my numero uno carry piece ever since. One in the tube and, generally, manual safety on.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The SR9c is a striker fired weapon. With one in the chamber, it is partially cocked. Pulling the trigger completes the cocking process.

The slide lock button is spring loaded, and will only lock the slide in the full back (open) position. This would be very awkward and, IMO, dangerous condition to carry the weapon in.

I carry mine with one in the chamber, and the manual safety on.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I agree with Clovishound. I wonder if the OP means the manual safety when he says slide lock because the other doesn't make sense.
I know some people carry with no safety at all but there is no way I would do that. I have the safety on on mine which automatically also decocks it. I'm too old to try to quick draw against anyone but not too old to be able to use stealth in drawing, arming and firing. That's one of the reasons I like the Stealth Defense holster - it hides the gun so well.

Triton

Bearcat
I have read a lot of posts on this subject, in several different forums. I don't believe there is ONE true answer to the question. Where I live, the chances of ever needing to draw my gun is slim and none. Some posts suggest the person either lives in an area that must be like combat conditions, or they watch too much TV.
I have four different guns that use for carry, Or in my truck. I carry all of them condition 3, that is, full magazine, empty battery, safeties off. I firmly believe I will always have time to rack the slide if I ever needed to. After 50 years of this practice, I am happy to report I have never had to rack the slide, or otherwise make any of my guns ready to fire.

TXRuger

Bearcat
I carry my SR9c and other pistols with 1 in the chamber & safety ON in an IWB holster, except the LCP or TCP with 1 in the chamber and in an in-pocket holster.

plgbear

Bearcat
Thank you everyone! I guess with the manual safety "on" is most probably the way I will carry mine. All very good comments and they all make sense to me. And as Trucker said, you have to feel comfortable with whatever you are carrying, excellent point!

Thanks again

Mike J

Hunter
I have never really thought of a striker fired pistol as being "cocked & locked'. To me that is a term that would apply to a hammer fired single action pistol usually a 1911. Cocked & locked means that the hammer is cocked & the manual safety is engaged. My only striker fired pistol is an old XD & I carry it with a round in the chamber (the only safety is the grip safety). I also have a Kel Tec that is hammer fired true double action only that has no safety but the trigger pull is long enough & hard enough it would be difficult for me to imagine it getting pulled unintentionally.

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
I carry My Ruger SR40-C with 1 in the pipe, safety on, I can have the Safety disengaged between My coming out of the holster and Fixing on my target without a milli second loss it preparation to Defend myself. The fact of the Matter is the Ruger SR Series cannot fire UNLESS THE TRIGGER IS PULLED!! After Carrying My point and shoot Colt Detective 38 Special for years with 6 in the cylinder with Nothing other than a 8lb trigger pull and My Brain and Trigger finger as a Safety ..I think a lot of people cause themselves undo stress about a ND, IMO If you cannot carry with a Round Chambered even without a safety You might want to consider not carrying a firearm at all, having the responsibility of carrying a firearm on your person requires an extreme amount of Confidence If you lack confidence for any reason, like I said think about Your right to carry real Hard.@ Triton The Major problem with racking the slide in a defensive situation before you can protect Yourself is that the majority of Stove pipes and FTF come at the moment when You are Racking the slide, Its a numbers thing. Chances are that's when You'd have a problem and in a dangerous threat situation You'd lose...

Triton

Bearcat
Airbrush Artist said:
I carry My Ruger SR40-C with 1 in the pipe, safety on, I can have the Safety disengaged between My coming out of the holster and Fixing on my target without a milli second loss it preparation to Defend myself. The fact of the Matter is the Ruger SR Series cannot fire UNLESS THE TRIGGER IS PULLED!! After Carrying My point and shoot Colt Detective 38 Special for years with 6 in the cylinder with Nothing other than a 8lb trigger pull and My Brain and Trigger finger as a Safety ..I think a lot of people cause themselves undo stress about a ND, IMO If you cannot carry with a Round Chambered even without a safety You might want to consider not carrying a firearm at all, having the responsibility of carrying a firearm on your person requires an extreme amount of Confidence If you lack confidence for any reason, like I said think about Your right to carry real Hard.@ Triton The Major problem with racking the slide in a defensive situation before you can protect Yourself is that the majority of Stove pipes and FTF come at the moment when You are Racking the slide, Its a numbers thing. Chances are that's when You'd have a problem and in a dangerous threat situation You'd lose...

@Airbrush Artist, I hear ya loud and clear. But where I live the most dangerous threat situation I might encounter is being able to rack the slide before a coyote can clear the back forty.
I still say.....if your in that big of a threat area, that you must, at all costs, be prepared to react in a split second,......you need to move before the stress gives you a heart attack.
I think there is a large difference between being prepared for the "remote possibility" and being prepared for "face to face combat" that will occur in less time than it takes me to rack my slide. FTF occurrences can always happen, but since I've been carrying a 1911, it's never happened in my 50 years of gun ownership. I will continue to put my faith in John M. Brownings design that has allowed me to run thousands of rounds, without so much as a hiccup.
Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
Tri as sad as it is to admit I live in a Pleasant Suburb but it is definitely deteriorating, I drive a school bus and areas that were once more or less safe have changed and we no longer go certain areas for pick up of Students and my bus is the only place I do not carry and its the time I most need too when I'm responsible too protect other peoples most cherished possession their Children, but my bus is a criminal thug safe zone. You are right, in a area like You are you do have a different scenario as far as when and where to be prepared. Great post Bud food for thought for sure..

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Something as important as how you carry is to train. Spend some quality time with your weapon until handling it becomes second nature. Be sure and make safe procedures part of that quality time, so that they are second nature as well.

I have been shooting off and on for a long time. When I got my CC permit and an EDC weapon, I began spending a lot more time at the range. I found that somewhere around the 1K round mark, I began to notice the handling and shooting became far more familiar, and automatic. My groups weren't that much smaller, but they were more consistent, and everything seemed more natural. Of course, if you spread that thousand rounds out over a 10 or 15 year period, you probably won't pick up the same proficiency as doing it in 8 - 10 months. Also keep in mind that everyone is different, and some may get there sooner, and some later. Sadly, some may never arrive. :(

It wasn't a dramatic change, but one day at the range, it dawned on me that something was different.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I carry an XD9 but same principal in operation minus the safety. I don't carry with one in the chamber unless in an environment that I feel requires it. This is for safety as I always have small children with me. I have and still routinely practice drawing and chambering my pistol.

jlange

Bearcat
I carry my SR9 in an N82 Tactical Professional IWB holster with a round chambered and safety on.

I think the most critical aspect of your decision to carry in any configuration is practice. I started shooting my SR9 in IDPA (from the IWB holster) to practice drawing, clicking off the safety, and shooting quickly and accurately under stress (and I have no intention of getting a "competition" holster or gun). I also practice drawing and dry firing almost daily. It is now completely automatic and I never have to think about it.

I've tried practicing with the safety off, but my brain is so used to the feel of clicking off the safety that when my thumb instinctively sweeps it and it DOES'NT click off, my brain thinks there is something wrong and it slows me down. In a life-or-death situation I don't want even a moment of confusion or delay.

I also know from IDPA that my gun occasionally (twice, so far) doesn't fully seat the first round of a magazine when I rack the slide (during "load and make ready"). I just hit the back of the slide with my palm to seat the round, but I wouldn't want this to ever happen in the heat of the moment so carrying with the chamber empty is not an option for me.

Jim Lange

jamesray59

Bearcat
Carry loaded and chambered.
IMHO there could be a situation where you don't have to time to chamber a round or the noise could be detrimental to the situation.
Know your weapon and keep it in excellent operating condition and I see no problems CC this way.

As with most responsible owners, the last thing we want to do is to pull out our weapon.
But in a worst case senerio, be ready to react, then react accordingly as it will save lives.
I truly wish none of us every have this situation come up.

Best wishes and straight shooting...

Latest posts