IWB for SR9C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Any recommendations. The SR9c fits my old shoulder holster where a S&W 639, SD9VE, SR9 and SR45 fit. I'm looking for something IWB. Something that makes driving possible and comfortable.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
I have tried many and found for me the Remora holster by far works the best. It felt kind of stiff and bulky at first but with use softens up and molds itself to the gun. Carried in the appendix position I can forget it's there, including while driving. It is infinitely adjustable and the holster feels secure against my body and the gun feels secure in the holster. I would recommend getting the carry side sweatband. As I said before it will feel stiff and thick at first but keep using it and you'll be surprised at how comfortable it becomes as it softens up. I now have a variety of other IWB holsters I never use.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I use the "Sto-N-Go" Galco holster and it is easy off and on for me. I also have the White Hat simular to the Super Tuck.

HS-LD

Bearcat
Comptac MTAC, tuckable and the most comfortable I've used. They have one specifically for the SR9C.

Kevets

Bearcat
aliengearholsters.com and highnoonholsters.com each have good products at good prices.

George

Blackhawk
For IWB for a great price try A Pro Carry HD Just got two one for a LC9 and the other for a Officers Colt .45 and they are made wonderfully the HD models anyway.. Don't let the price fool ya it's a great holster! George

http://www.theholsterstore.net/Pro_Carry_HD_p/procarryhd.htm

vacextar

Blackhawk
I just bought a Versacarry (small) and wore it for the first time with my SR9c last weekend. Figured I'd give it a shot for $20 and I have to say it's the best thing I've tried so far. I normally wear a leather belt-slide holster and I found the Versacarry much more comfortable. Even driving and sitting. I seriously found myself physically checking every once in a while to make sure the gun was still there. Cheap, effective, comfortable.....and more concealed than my belt-slide.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
vacextar said:
I just bought a Versacarry (small) and wore it for the first time with my SR9c last weekend. Figured I'd give it a shot for $20 and I have to say it's the best thing I've tried so far. I normally wear a leather belt-slide holster and I found the Versacarry much more comfortable. Even driving and sitting. I seriously found myself physically checking every once in a while to make sure the gun was still there. Cheap, effective, comfortable.....and more concealed than my belt-slide.
I hear nothing but good things about this holster. Kind of weird...correct me if I'm wrong, there's a peg that fits into the barrel? There's virtually nothing to the holster except a few pieces of plastic, a clip and a peg the muzzle slides over. I read rave reviews on it, so there must be something to it.

Kevets

Bearcat
They're good for what they are. Lame answer but it's the truth. I have two myself and they seem to work fine if you don't mind the gun pushing on you a bit. They're definitely the 'least there' piece available. It's a nylon peg, clip and trigger guard.

But, I've seen a broken peg and even though I don't think I could ever break mine, that bothers me a bit.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
The Versa Carry is one of the IWB holsters that just sit in the drawer. Not a big fan of the gun against my skin, for the guns sake. You will have to remove it to reholster but it's certainly minimalist. Although it seems to have many fans I'm not one of them.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Conn AK said:
Any recommendations. The SR9c fits my old shoulder holster where a S&W 639, SD9VE, SR9 and SR45 fit. I'm looking for something IWB. Something that makes driving possible and comfortable.

High Noon Tuckable, your seach is over, it's the only kind I use that doesn't just piss my fatness off with a full size 1911

http://highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Tail_Gate/tail_gate.html

vacextar

Blackhawk
Conn AK said:
vacextar said:
I hear nothing but good things about this holster. Kind of weird...correct me if I'm wrong, there's a peg that fits into the barrel? There's virtually nothing to the holster except a few pieces of plastic, a clip and a peg the muzzle slides over. I read rave reviews on it, so there must be something to it.

As others have already said, yes...it is just what you describe. For me, the comfort seems to be all about the bulk. If you have a bulky (thick) holster...even my OWB belt slide.....by the time you get your gun in there, you have your pants, then belt, then thick leather, then gun, then more thick leather.....and by the time I have my belt cinched up tight enough to hold the gun securely against my body, the belt needs to be uncomfortably tight. For most IWB holsters, you have the exact same thing, but now all of the bulk is INSIDE your waist band pushing on you. (usually requiring you to buy your pants with a larger waist size than what you need). I'm not one to fall for gimmicky (sp?) stuff/advertising hype, and I watched a few youtube video reviews on this (super-duper-gimmicky videos) before I bought one, but the gimmicky videos are not what sold me on it. I bought it based on what it was....a holster that offers what I've been looking for since I started carrying......something thin enough that I could wear it in the pants I already have without having to buy a bunch of new ones that were a size or two bigger than I needed.

I wore it all weekend again this weekend. I didn't even wear a belt, which is not recommended, but it seems to clip over the seam in my waistband and thick leather tag sewn to the jeans securely enough to do the job, even when drawing the gun.....and for me, not having to wear a stiff leather belt is another plus in the comfort department. Another advantage is that I could use the exact same holster to carry my old Sig P230 if I wanted to, since .380 and 9mm are the same barrel size and the guns are almost identical in size. Maybe I sound like a Versacarry salesman, but IMO, for $20 you can't hardly go wrong. After 20 years of concealed carry, this is the best combo I've found so far.....Versacarry + SR9c.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
vacextar said:
Cheap, effective, comfortable.....and more concealed than my belt-slide.

Add insecure, a pain to reholster, leaves shavings in the bore, and exposes the weapon to sweat. Comfortable is a subjective call. Had two of 'em. Nice folks to deal with but the two I had ended up in the trash can. Believe me when I tell you, the gun is not secure! Wear it long enough and you'll find out the hard way,

vacextar

Blackhawk
Trucker said:
vacextar said:
Cheap, effective, comfortable.....and more concealed than my belt-slide.

Add insecure, a pain to reholster, leaves shavings in the bore, and exposes the weapon to sweat. Comfortable is a subjective call. Had two of 'em. Nice folks to deal with but the two I had ended up in the trash can. Believe me when I tell you, the gun is not secure! Wear it long enough and you'll find out the hard way,

If I have to actually pull my gun to defend my life in public, reholstering is not at the top of my list of concerns. Tiny plastic shavings in the bore is a non-issue....they will be blasted out when the gun fires. What can they hurt? The same part of my gun is subjected to the same sweat whether I'm wearing the Versacarry or my belt-slide......unless I manage to sweat thru my underwear, and even if I do, that's another one of the beauties of carrying a gun that's half polymer and half stainless. I've carried that gun thru 2 summers and have sweat on the back of the slide many times and it shows no sign of problems. I guess the gun-not-secure thing is the only real complaint you have that concerns me......I guess time will tell. I'm a fairly resourceful lad....if that issue comes up, I can't see that it would be that difficult to remedy.