Cerakote coating

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
I just bought my daughter a Ruger SR22 pistol. I was thinking of getting a Cerakote coating on the frame for her. She saw a photo of one that had a color called prison pink on the frame and the bottom of the magazine and loved it. I don't know anything about this coating and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where I can send it to have good work done at an affordable price? I posted this in the lounge also but thought I might have better luck over here.

Larry

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm not sure it's made for plastic, or how it would last on plastic.

It's a gun ... Not a fashion accessory .... Leave it as it is.

REV

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
It's a gun ... Not a fashion accessory .... Leave it as it is.

REV

Now Rev...you know very well these Ladies young and old need to have their guns making those fashion statements when they are at the range or showing them off to their friends. It was just Saturday at the range a fellow ask me where in the world did my wife get that 640 done up like that !!!! I just smile and watch her send 38's down range and keep such thoughts to my self. Like my brother says when they are shooting they aren't talking.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have recently thought that pink guns are a safety issue. After all, what young teenage boy would have any interest in messing with a pink gun? More effective than a trigger lock IMO.

Kermit814

Bearcat
Before they started offering the SR22 in "raspberry" and "lilac" I stopped in at our local powdercoating place in town here, but they said that they wouldn't do the Cerakote coating on my wife's for me. They were too worried about heating up the plastics on the gun to the temps needed to "cure" (or whatever it's called) the coating. I took a printed copy of this photo with me, I'm assuming that it's the photo you found:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/134/5/c/my_black_and_pink_ruger_sr22_by_jamjams-d4wa3jb.jpg

The lady who had that one done had the photo up for a while and then got all weird about it and took it down. On the internets though... things tend to survive and pop back up even after you've taken them down. I'm not sure who is hosting it, but it probably doesn't belong to them. Just saying.

If it was me (and this time last year, it was me) I'd look into getting the raspberry or lilac editions and save yourself a ton of hassle. Or even easier, head over to http://www.tractiongrips.com. A couple times a year he offers pink. They're easy to install, functional and look pretty darn good.
2e21n68.jpg

You can Cerakote a "plastic" gun. It just gets cured at a lower temperature. Many "plastic" gun manufacturers now use Cerakote on the guns that they sell that are OD, or flat dark earth, or other colors. Cerakote will do as well on the "plastic" (actually a polymer material) as on a metal gun.

I know this as I do Cerakoting as part of my gun repair business.

Crazy Horse, Cerakote comes in over 100 different colors and yes, Prison Pink is one of several pink colors they carry.

Kermit814

Bearcat
Sweet Ron. Good to hear. I'll keep you in mind when my daughter starts asking for her own SR22. What do you charge for something that size?

Kermit814 said:
Sweet Ron. Good to hear. I'll keep you in mind when my daughter starts asking for her own SR22. What do you charge for something that size?

It depends on what all is going to get coated (frame only, slide only, frame and slide, etc.). I'll work up an estimate tonight when I get home (the gun repair business is part time right now) and PM it to you.

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
RoninPA said:
You can Cerakote a "plastic" gun. It just gets cured at a lower temperature. Many "plastic" gun manufacturers now use Cerakote on the guns that they sell that are OD, or flat dark earth, or other colors. Cerakote will do as well on the "plastic" (actually a polymer material) as on a metal gun.

I know this as I do Cerakoting as part of my gun repair business.

Crazy Horse, Cerakote comes in over 100 different colors and yes, Prison Pink is one of several pink colors they carry.

Can you PM me some prices also? I want the frame and the bottom of two magazines coated.

I'm sorry I didn't get quotes done last night for you guys. It was pretty busy in the shop last night (getting ready to host a sporting goods only garage sale and people were bringing in stuff to sell). I will get them done and out tonight.