Ruger SR-40-C..The Real Deal!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
I have put 400 rounds through My New Ruger SR 40-C without a hitch ,accurate ,reliable, and a great price, it eats all the different ammo I have feed it. This firearm Is amazing ,I had reservation about it being a EDC Firearm because of the size even though it is a compact but Have had it on My Hip in a Tauga Leather IWB Holster the last 3 days, at first I thought it was going to be intrusive but after middle of the 2nd day I forgot it was even there That includes driving with it on. The only time I was without it was when I was on My school Bus because that's a criminal safety zone :x . I usually carry a Beretta Sub compact 9mm or my grab and go firearm a Colt 38 Detective Special, I like the idea having a .40 caliber Hollow point for a Defensive round. I love My Beretta but I Might be giving way to a Ruger LC-9 in its place if its any thing like the SR-40C,the Beretta is a Little beefy width wise .I truly recommend taking a look at this Ruger SR-40C for a EDC Firearm if your in the market for a EDC.. :wink:

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Have been carrying SR40c for 2 years and it has performed flawlessly with every type of ammo. I carry the LC9 when it is too warm for the 40c and it has also run on every type of ammo that i have tried without any problems. I load them both with Critical Defense for CC. Bought wife a LC380 and after 200 rounds i expect the same trouble free performance from it. They are all really great pistols.

I bought my sr40c last year, partially in anticipation of having legal concealed carry in Illinois, but hadn't fired more than about 100 rounds with it until earlier this week. I went to the range and fired Remington 165gr FMJ ammo and found this gun to be quite accurate, easy to shoot, and flawless in handling the 200 rounds I put through it. I love the trigger on this gun, and with a capacity of 9+1 with the shorter mag I think it is an excellent choice for concealed carry.

I generally am partial to the 45acp, like many of us, but didn't want to have to choose between a low capacity magazine or a larger than desired gun, so for me the 40S&W round is a reasonable compromise. I also think that if this is the caliber chosen by so many police forces it can't be all bad.

This is my third Ruger semi, and I have had nothing but excellent experiences with the other two guns (a P97dc and an LCP). I sometimes am amazed at the quality that Ruger provides at a relatively low price when compared with other name brand gun companies, and it has made me into a real Ruger fan. When we get concealed carry in 2014 I anticipate carrying the sr40c in an IWB holster most of the time, and the LCP in a pocket holster when I am dressed such that the IWB is not practical.

The irony for me is that until the last few years I had considered myself a revolver guy, and own several S&W revolvers. I still love those guns, and my go-to gun for the middle of the night noises is still a 6-round 357mag Model 19, but for concealed carry I will likely be an all-Ruger guy.

silverbullet4

Bearcat
It really is, I shot my wife's glock 19 and everything about the way my sr40c fit in my hand and shot was far better.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Airbrush Artist said:
. I love My Beretta but I Might be giving way to a Ruger LC-9 in its place if its any thing like the SR-40C,the Beretta is a Little beefy width wise .

I have to caution you it really is nothing like the SR series at all in my opinion. The trigger has an extremely long pull and rather hard break. There seems to be two kinds of LC9 owners, those that tolerate the trigger and those that hate it. I've yet to meet anyone who loves it. I've got many rounds on both and I have to say I'm in the camp that hates it, so maybe take that with a grain of salt.

Really glad your liking the SR40c its my EDC as well just wanted to suggest you at least fire the LC9 first. Even dry firing it you should see what I'm talking about. There is no real direct link between the SR's and the LC9's in terms of mechanics and how its built and how it shoots.

P.S. If you get the chance try some 180 grain loads through it. They shoot awfully well through the 40c I got better results accuracy wise then with the lighter rounds. This may just be me I can't be sure. The 175 grain Critical Duty is a pleasure to shoot. The Win. PDX1 180grain was the most difficult for me, its a rather hot round through this size gun.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
For a micro 9mm I would take the Kahr CM9 over the LC9 any day. The trigger pull is way better and there is no silly manual safety. Around here they cost about the same. I have the Kahr CW9 and its a great little gun. If Ruger had made a thin single stack version of the SR9c I would have bought it but they did not, so I had to look elsewhere.