Price check, P90 decock pistol......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Dantforth said:
Well, it is my original post and I am not disturbed by you adding yours here. There may be an unwritten law though so one of the senior members may chime in. I can't answer your question with any authority but suspect it is not a de-cock model. With mine the seller advised that it comes with original box......will that be a cardboard or plastic box? David

I think all the P90's came in a plastic box but I am not sure on that. The earliest one I see shipped is 1991 and they were well in to their plastic box era by then I would think.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
The first one I bought had the plastic box with a space for 2 magazines the gun and a magazine loader molded into it, the second one only had a spot for the gun and one magazine.

pyth0n

Buckeye
collectormzornes said:
Hell all I do not want to hijack this thread but didn't feel the need to start another. I just picked up a like new P90 for $350 out the door with box and two mags. I had a couple of questions about it and hoped the people here could help. Is there any issues I should look out for? How many different models did they make? Mine appears to be a decock model but I thought it would be noted as the model like KP90DC mine had KPP90W on the box is it anything different? Thanks for the help and if I need to start a new thread just let me know and I will remove this and do so.
Not familiar with the KPP90W so no help there. Both of mine came in plastic boxes. There were only two models that I'm aware of, a decocker and a manual safety, in SS & blue. Then the were two tone versions with TH in the model designation. There may have been distributor specials. If yours is a decock model the lever is spring loaded to the up position when you release it. Safety model stays down.

Arky

Single-Sixer
They also made a P90 safety model. I have never held one but it could possibly be carried cocked and locked. I have the DC model in stainless I bought new in the 90's and love it but my wheel guns get most of the play time.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Arky said:
They also made a P90 safety model. I have never held one but it could possibly be carried cocked and locked. I have the DC model in stainless I bought new in the 90's and love it but my wheel guns get most of the play time.
Never heard of one that could be carried cocked & locked. The safety version I'm familiar with decocked the gun & lever remained down in the safe position, Check out the owners manual for each model at the Ruger site. http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html
Maybe RENE can share some light on some special once secret 1911 type P90 SAO. :)

modrifle3

Buckeye
I have owned 3 p90s and still have one. Great gun.... I had one decock model but the barrel fit was really bad. Really loose. I sold it and sold a 2nd safety model after I had the barrel replaced under warranty because the ramp was not cut straight. The barrel was very loose after it was returned and when I complained they said it was normal....which it is for p series guns, but it was a very tight gun prior to them replacing it.

hittman

Staff member
collectormzornes said:
I just picked up a like new P90 for $350 out the door with box and two mags.

How many different models did they make?

mine had KPP90W on the box is it anything different?

$350.00 is plenty cheap ...... I would have paid that without hesitation.

You need to subscribe to RENE ~ see this link:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30544

I think that "W" gun is not at all common and maybe made towards the tail end of production. Other "P-nuts" here will hopefully chime in.

Per RENE the "W" means it was shipped "with" an extra 10 round magazine.

Per RENE the "PP" means it is a P series gun shipped with finger-groove "tactical" grips.

toysoldier

Hunter
Watch the auction sites for a "parts kit" P-90, everything but the frame. You will have spare parts and a barrel you can use to check reloads as you make them. Best $50 I ever spent on gun parts. And the safety slide/barrel assembly swaps out with my DC slide/barrel assembly, so I can configure it either way.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Model number 06624. Complete with two mags (metal followers not plastic), magazine loading tool, fired casing in small bag and all paperwork. Looks to be new. Plastic Ruger box fitted for all. I can hardly wait to go to the range. Pleased. I would post a photo but there is nothing remarkable about it and we all know what they look like. Thanks for all of the comments. David
PS - I disassembled to inspect and clean. Everything looks good except the guide rod which has obviously taken a beating. I am including a couple of photos here. Is this normal for the guide rod? Dave

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
hittman said:
collectormzornes said:
I just picked up a like new P90 for $350 out the door with box and two mags.

How many different models did they make?

mine had KPP90W on the box is it anything different?

$350.00 is plenty cheap ...... I would have paid that without hesitation.

You need to subscribe to RENE ~ see this link:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30544

I think that "W" gun is not at all common and maybe made towards the tail end of production. Other "P-nuts" here will hopefully chime in.

Per RENE the "W" means it was shipped "with" an extra 10 round magazine.

Per RENE the "PP" means it is a P series gun shipped with finger-groove "tactical" grips.

Mine did come with two magazines and the factory Ruger finger-groove grips. I will try and get a pic of it and post it. Thanks for the help

tech4064

Bearcat
Those aluminum guide rods can get pretty scratched up. It can be particularly bad if someone installs the recoil spring backwards(larger end of the spring should go toward the muzzle end of the slide).

You might be able to smooth it out with some fine grit sandpaper. As long as it doesn't effect the functionality of the weapon, I don't think is anything to really worry about.

FWIW, I have a later model P90 with fewer than seven hundred rounds and my guide rod already has some scratches in the same area as yours, though, not quite as severe.

Here is a thread on a similar topic. It also shows the difference between the older model guide rods and the newer ones, should you decide to buy a replacement.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1212356

Additionally, this is an interesting article on the P90 if you are new the model.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/182.htm

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks for all of the info. I have read all of it and am much more knowledgeable now. I fired the P90 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I will attempt to order a new guide rod and possibly a couple of recoil springs. Ordering parts from Canada is always problematic as so many dealers have just shut down all shipping due to perceived problems and sometimes real problems with USA security regs. David

tech4064

Bearcat
Glad to help. While the recoil springs are sill easy to find, It doesn't seem anyone has the guide rods in stock. Good luck!

modrifle3

Buckeye
Don't worry about the guide rod. They all do it and a new one will look that way after 100 rounds. It will not cause any issue.