SR9c slide extremely hard to operate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Have had the SR9c for over a year and while I really like the gun the slide is a major pain in the butt to operate. After spending an hour searching the forum the best I could come up with is "shoot a bunch of rounds through it and the spring will loosen up". Sorry gang, after almost 2k rounds the slide is still a major pain to operate.

The question I have been searching for in vain is: Is there a softer/lighter spring available or how many coils do I cut off the stock spring to make the SR9c slide operate like any other 9mm on the market?

While I am a big Ruger fan and have a safe full of Old Model single actions there is no reason to put up with the extremely heavy spring tension on my SR9c. Pulled a Glock and Witness P out of stock to compare and there is no comparison. Would hate to trade in the Ruger but I am too old to put up with the hassle of the SR9c slide.

Hope someone has a solution to this problem. Thanks Much

Chance said:
Pulled a Glock and Witness P out of stock to compare and there is no comparison.

Sounds like you've already found your best solution. If these other guns are easier for you to operate, then they may be better choices for you.

I would not modify the recoil spring in any way. Lighter springs are available for some semi autos, but only for shooting lighter loads. Shooting heavy loads in a gun with a light recoil spring can cause premature wear, or even damage to the gun.

Without handling your gun, I cannot comment on the "stiffness" of your slide. If your gun functions, then I would speculate your slide is normal.

WAYNO.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I really hope you do not cut the spring it seems like this would be asking for a ton of function troubles, and as Wayno said probably damage. It's unlikely you would get it right anyway. I know that with semi auto's when they do make changes to the springs like this its done in millimeters and is very precise with very little tolerance for error.

For instance shortening a spring by 5mm may be too much and 2mm too little. And either length could be enough to cause failures to function.

They extended the striker spring on the SR' soon after they hit the market to address light strikes. I heard they only extended the spring about 3 millimeters.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The difficult rack seems to be the biggest complaint on the SR9c. My understanding is that Ruger went with a stiff recoil spring to reduce recoil in a small, light weapon. It is what it is. I don't find the rack on mine objectionable. Others do.

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
I own a SR9 full size and the slide has loosened up considerably but my SR40c still is stiff even with running close to 1k of rounds through it but not to the point where I consider it 'difficult'. One thing I have found in my continual reading of articles that has helped is how one racks a slide. Pushing forward with your support hand against the frame instead of pulling back the rack with your slide hand.

I got this from the informative series, 'The Seven Deadly Sins of Handgun Shooting' by Tom McHale at 'The Armed Citizen' (I am not affiliated with the site):

http://thearmedcitizen.net/seven-deadly-sins-of-handgun-shooting-5-inappropriate-racking/

I have used a modified version of the technique and it has greatly reduced the strain of racking a slide especially with short gripped carry pistols. I hope this helps.

Chance

Buckeye
The reason I even mentioned shortening the recoil spring is cutting springs is a normal method of making a Marlin work smoothly and we do a lot with the single and double action Ruger springs.

Maybe Ruger thought it necessary to use the heavier spring for recoil in the beginning but comparing the SR9c and LC9, the LC9, which is a much lighter gun, requires about 1/2 the efffort to operate the slide. Guess I will give Ruger a call when they open this morning and see if there is something that can be done.

Really like the gun, except for the slide, so if nothing can be done will just live with it (and continue to whine).

Chance

Buckeye
Just got off the phone with Ruger. They have no springs available other than those which came on the gun originally. Suggested checking with Midway or Brownells.

Oh well. Thanks for your replies.
Chance

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/sr9c-and-sr40c-parts/

This the only source I know of for a lighter spring assy. The Std is 16lbs but they do make a 14 lb. Not sure if that help much but maybe mentally helpful.

Chance said:
Just got off the phone with Ruger. They have no springs available other than those which came on the gun originally. Suggested checking with Midway or Brownells.

Chance

So...Just for discussion...Ya start changing springs. Then, when the gun beats itself to pieces, or it fails to operate, who's gonna be responsible? You've already found other guns that are easier for you to operate. Stick to one of those and let the Rugers remain as they were designed.

WAYNO.

revhigh

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
Chance said:

Chance

So...Just for discussion...Ya start changing springs. Then, when the gun beats itself to pieces, or it fails to operate, who's gonna be responsible? You've already found other guns that are easier for you to operate. Stick to one of those and let the Rugers remain as they were designed.

WAYNO.

Yeah ... If it's that difficult for you I'd just dump it.

REV

Chance

Buckeye
There is a plethora of companies out there making interchangable aftermarket springs for semi-auto hand guns. Heck, more and more handguns are being shipped from the factory with multiple springs of varying rates providing the customer with choices.

I really like the feel, handling and accuracy of the SR9c and am well past the age of beating myself up with hot rod loads in the interest of having fun. As far carry goes, there is a round in the chamber at all times so racking is not necessary.

We all know Ruger builds bullet proof products so it hardly seems realistic that a recoil spring with a 2# spring rate reduction would lead to the destruction of the gun. Ordered one the the Galloway 14# springs and will see if the Ruger can survive. If not, no sweat, our trash is picked up twice a week.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Chance said:
We all know Ruger builds bullet proof products so it hardly seems realistic that a recoil spring with a 2# spring rate reduction would lead to the destruction of the gun.

Or a significant change in racking effort .... :D

REV

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I have a SR9c and I don't find the slide harder to rack than other guns? My Kahr CM9 is a real bear, but doable!

DonD

Single-Sixer
I have to think that Ruger put heavier than absolutely necessary springs in order to ensure reliability with any legitimate ammo and to reduce battering of the slide and receiver which would result with an overly light spring.

I don't have any lack of strength, but I find that the SR9Cs slide takes some effort, far more than a typical 1911 for example. The bulk of the issue for me is not being able to get much of my hand on the slide if I want drop the mag and eject a round from the chamber. If I get a better grip, my hand covers the ejection port, keeping the round from being ejected.

I don't think this is unique to Ruger. I had a Glock 30 subcompact which has a double recoil spring, very similar to the SR9Cs. It was considerably harder to rack than the full sized G21.

I think this SR9C is more enjoyable, has a better trigger, is at least as reliable and better looking than any Glock, so for me its a keeper. Don

Chance

Buckeye
Decided to pass on the Galloway resplacement springs and see what could be done with what came in the box. Figured if the spring would loosen up with a few hundred rounds as stated by a lot of folks, maybe more was needed.

Tooks the gun out to the shop and placed the slide in the paded jaws of the vise with the grip frame up. Grab the grip frame and push back and forth until the sholders/forearms get tired, 2/300 cycles. Repeat at irregular intervals for a week or so.

Although the spring tension is still heavy, it is now much easier to operate the slide. Will continue this routine a while longer.

While it would be more fun to operate the slide at the range with live ammo this method is a lot less expensive and seems to be working.

standerson

Bearcat
Instead of holding the frame and pulling the slide backwards, try holding the slide and pushing the frame forward.

phototex

Bearcat
I just bought a new SR9C, and although I don't find the slide spring particularly difficult to rack, I have to admit that the spring tension is very tight. Still, that doesn't bother me. The part I don't like is when I have to hold it back in the racked position and then try to lock the slide lock; it's almost impossible for me to do easily with my small hands. Any suggestions, other than getting rid of the gun?

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
papaSR9 said:
Pushing forward with your support hand against the frame instead of pulling back the rack with your slide hand.

-racking/[/url]

I have used a modified version of the technique and it has greatly reduced the strain of racking a slide especially with short gripped carry pistols. I hope this helps.

in my wifes carry class a few women had trouble racking slides on their autos. This sounds like what they were told to do, HOLD SLIDE, PUSH FRAME, RELEASE SLIDE.
I was at a gunshow and a lady was looking at a gun at a table I was standing at. She complained of the same thing. I told her that and she ( and the dealer) thought that was a great idea! Funny how we never think of these things? :)